Thank you to all of our Kickstarter backers who helped make TERRATiles a reality! If you missed the campaign, please visit our website to order the retail version of TERRATiles: www.TERRATileSystem.com.
This project underwent a name change during the campaign. It began as BattleHex, then became GameMap, and is now TERRATiles.
From the creators of War of Kings comes the GameMap, a hexagon-based, modular terrain system that is ready right out of the box to turn your whole table into an elegant battlefield worthy of your miniatures no matter what game you play on it. It is beautiful, versatile, easy to set up, and easy to take down. Just one box adds great artistic effects to a whole table making it extremely practical. There’s nothing to assemble, paint, or flock, and the terrain itself doesn’t get in the way of your miniatures during the game. In short, GameMap is fantastic terrain without the hassle!
After the launch of this project, it was brought to our attention that Talon Games asserts trademark rights to "BattleHex". Therefore we have re-branded our campaign as "GameMap". We'll get all of our backers' feedback on a suitable replacement name for the terrain system as we get going. Let us know if you have any suggestions!
We have played many wargames on a table covered by a green tablecloth but always wanted something better. However, our first attempts at making do-it-yourself terrain were time-consuming and ended in frustration. We know this is an experience shared by many gamers, so we set out to create a solution that is both easy to use and inexpensive. GameMap is the result, and we think it is the best, most comprehensive table-top game terrain solution for the following reasons:
- Quick Set-Up - GameMap strikes the right balance between versatility and speed of setup. With each hexagon measuring nine inches from corner to corner, they are small enough to provide great variability in the battlefields you can set up, but large enough that setting up is not a chore. A GameMap battlefield requires no painting or flocking and can be set up in only a few minutes.
- Inexpensive - Existing ready-made terrain systems can be extremely expensive and limit your creativity. A single box of GameMap contains sixty hexes, which is enough to cover a 6 foot by 4 foot area. Clearly, GameMap is the least expensive way to get great-looking terrain on your table.
- Compatible with Any Genre - GameMap can be used with whatever genre game you play: fantasy, science fiction, historical, or even modern.
- Compatible with Any Game - GameMap is compatible with a wide range of game systems. Regardless of whether you are playing a whole battle, a smaller skirmish game, or just need to lay out a small encounter for a roleplaying game, you will reach for GameMap.
- Compatible with any Scale Miniatures - GameMap has been designed to accommodate full-fledged battles between 25mm and 28mm miniatures. However, it also works excellently with 15mm and 10mm miniatures.
- Easy to Store and Transport - GameMap fits in its box where it takes up no more space than a boardgame. When taking your miniatures on the road, GameMap allows you to bring beautiful terrain with you, as well.
- Compatible with other Standalone Terrain - Any bridges, buildings, fortifications, trees, and other pieces that you already have work seamlessly with GameMap. By using GameMap you can focus your terrain building efforts on the special pieces that make your table unique.
With all of these features GameMap will become your go-to terrain system!
To facilitate games and RPG's that require a hexagonal grid, we have created a template that can be used to transfer a hex grid to your tiles. We will send all backers this digital template that is custom fit to our hex size. When complete, you will have all the versatility of GameMap with the grid you need for your games. The grid creates hexes that are 1.125" point to point. An isometric square template will also be provided.
Every GameMap box will contain 60 hexes, which is enough to cover a 6 foot by 4 foot area. Additionally, as a Kickstarter backer, your box will contain a bonus Stone Circle hex, for a total of 61 hexes. While the number of hexes in the box is fixed, the distribution of the hexes will change as we reach stretch goals. Here's Heath to show you our advanced prototype so you know exactly what you will be getting:
The graphic below shows everything currently in the GameMap box. We’ll keep it updated as any stretch goals are reached.
Take GameMap to another level! We are now offering a set of precision-cut expanded polystyrene risers to provide battlefield elevation. The risers are one inch thick and strong enough to support even your heaviest miniatures. Use them to raise any of the existing hexes to different levels, greatly increasing the amount of variation in your battlefields and adding important strategic depth. The risers are white and can be painted to blend in with any terrain. Each package includes ten risers. If you would like a package of risers shipped to you as part of your Kickstarter rewards, be sure to select one of the two reward levels in which they are included. If you would like to add on an additional package of risers, you may add $24 USD to your pledge.
We have intentionally set the Kickstarter funding goal for GameMap as low as possible to get it into production. But, this means we need your help to make the GameMap box as robust as it can possibly be. Therefore, we put together two stretch goal ladders for the campaign; one is based on campaign funding, and the other is based on social media outreach. All GameMap boxes will include all stretch goals reached.
The social media stretch goal ladder is climbed by sharing this page on Facebook and retweeting this tweet. Facebook shares and retweets will be added together to climb the ladder above. We are @RAINN_Studios on Twitter if you would like to follow us. We're live-blogging the campaign there, so if you want up-to-the-minute news about the campaign, that is the place to be. :-) With the help of the Kickstarter community, we can make an already outstanding terrain system even better!
- Money Back Guarantee - We understand the risk you are taking to support our project, but we are very confident you will love playing your games on GameMap . To demonstrate this, we want to extend a money back guarantee to all of our backers. Therefore, if you are unhappy with GameMap, return it within 30 days of delivery for a full refund, no questions asked.
- Kickstarter Exclusive Hexagon - The Stone Circle hexagon will not ship in the retail game box. Backing this Kickstarter project is the only way to receive this special hex.
- Kickstarter Discount - By pledging on Kickstarter, you will receive GameMap at a discount from its MSRP of $74.95.
- We Need You - We have paid for the art and created the prototype, but only your support will enable us to manufacture and distribute GameMap. Your support will also help us to increase the quality of GameMap as we reach the stretch goals.
- Help Us - We have designed a fantastic terrain system, but you can make it better! As we experienced with War of Kings, our backers came up with brilliant suggestions that we were able to incorporate into the game. We are open to your ideas, so tell us what you would like to see!
GameMap creates a beautiful table with lots of terrain options while still being very practical for game play. Each hex works with all of the others in any orientation. The streams and roads each enter and exit in the middle of a side of the hexagon, so that they link seamlessly with the adjacent hex. The stream hexagons do not have a distinguishable current, so they may be used in either direction.
GameMap depicts a variety of easily distinguishable terrain types that can be used with any number of rule sets. You will find lightly wooded and heavily wooded hexagons, as well as difficult and very difficult ground.
We believe that if it does not weigh at least 7 lb, then it just is not worth making! All kidding aside, GameMap is a very heavy box, but we have done as much as possible to keep shipping costs to a minimum. The shipping costs below are applicable to all pledge levels and do not increase if you pledge for two GameMap boxes.
We have worked to make this Kickstarter campaign EU Friendly by coordinating with a fulfillment service in Europe. All backers that reside within the EU will have their rewards shipped from within the EU. This means all taxes and duties will be paid by us prior to the games arriving at your door.
We welcome any retailers who would like to support GameMap and get the Kickstarter version to sell in their store. Our retail policy can be found here. Whether you operate a brick-and-mortar or web-based store, please message us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for verification and information on pledging.
Ian Schofield has returned to work with us to produce GameMap. He used the moorlands of Scotland as inspiration and really produced some fantastic pieces.
Risks and challenges
This is our second Kickstarter campaign, and we learned a tremendous amount from running the War of Kings campaign and getting it into production. We are applying every lesson that we learned from our first experience to this campaign.
Therefore, when this campaign is successful, we expect GameMap to move smoothly from Kickstarter to production. However, there is always the potential for unexpected surprises. Art can take longer than expected to finalize. Subcontractors can take longer than expected to produce the components. When the product is inspected for quality control, a flaw could be found and a part may have to be remade. Any of these would slow down GameMap’s production. And of course, even once GameMap leaves the manufacturer, there is still the potential for delays with freight shipping, customs clearance, distribution, etc.
However, if you back the GameMap Kickstarter campaign, we will keep you well informed and up to date about its progress from the campaign’s close all the way to when the rewards are shipped. As you can see from the War of Kings campaign, we post regular updates about the progress of the project, so you will know what we know, when we know it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)