Hey everyone, time for another exciting (ish) update!
So what's been going on the last couple months? Well....everything...
First off, December was a bit of a quiet month with holidays and Ariel still needing to catch up with some other work.
The art side of things went a little better with me finalizing the areas for labyrinth (floor types + walls) and exporting all of that and setting up the labyrinth layout in the engine. Here are some examples of the pairings.
Also I think it was towards the end of the month that I went through and finished animations and rendering of all the assets (giving the core characters their melee and ranged animations and doing some new ones for creatures).
Then January Ariel switched over to working on the Switch support for Godot / Memories (which was something we likely needed eventually). Timing on that wasn't the greatest, but it is nice to have ready going forward.
So that month I went back to working on Memories and setting up more maps. Ariel also set up some cryptocurrency payment options that we can use later (which also sent me on a lot of research into blockchain and how we might be able to use it for Bloom. I've wanted a way to connect the two games for a while....but right now all of that is a big "maybe" that we are keeping our eyes on).
((As a side, it is crazy what blockchain is doing. Everything from decentralized internet / storage...to similar technologies like hashgraph creating decentralized networking for games)
Oh, also I made this spider from this creepy thing. Doesn't have anything to do with Bloom....just this post was lacking art :P
Which brings us to this month!
Ariel is all freed up again and we are trying to get labyrinth set up and done as soon as we can.
But....given the extra time to stew on the game.... I couldn't help but start to mess with the design (-ducks-).
Basically, as I was playing some more Gauntlet to see how they were handling stuff....it's obvious there are a lot of problems with the core game loop. It turns out running around shooting a bunch of stuff is fun ....for 5 minutes. Even with the quest mode in later Gauntlets, it wasn't exactly enough to keep it that interesting (at least to me).
So, I have no choice but to shake things up a bit in how we are approaching Labyrinth!
First off, we are going to be focusing in on the single player aspect more (if the core experience isn't fun, it won't really survive with multiplayer). Ideally it will be structured as multiple attempts to make it through the Labyrinth ....each time growing stronger so you can progress further.
This also means we can keep a better sense of exploration randomizing in just a few of each areas maps before getting something new.
To go with that, we are also slowing down the game play a bit, making it harder, and giving players a chance to breath.
One idea for this is to borrow from a really old game I used to play as a kid....where they had an interesting crystal farming mechanic. Basically you would place them down and they would duplicate, but while they were doing that you had to guard them from being eaten by normal people walking around.
Who knows how that will develop, just an idea at this point. Though I could see it being an interesting way to rest (breaking up the pacing a bit)....and it seems that crystal mechanic is using the same check the monster spawners use, at least how we would handle it (checking if the area is occupied before spawning something in, which is what got me thinking of it in the first place).
Oh well, lots left to play around with, but the fun part is sorting it out in this next week.
Good news is as we're diving into it more we are starting to squash some common bugs that were being a pain with Memories too. It feels a lot like juggling, a lot of balls in the air....but all contributing towards the same show hah.
Anyhow, sorry for the boring update! Next one should have a lot more to show off :D