About this project
Smartphones just got a whole lot more powerful
Since their inception, smartphones have been confined to only two dimensions - limited to roam the earth at ground level. It's time to set your smartphone free! Grant your smartphone access to the third dimension with PhoneDrone Ethos!
PhoneDrone Ethos is a remarkable device that gives your smartphone wings, allowing you to deploy your iPhone or Android phone as an autonomous aerial camera.
Why is this revolutionary? We’ve leveraged the sensor, processor, and wireless capability of your smartphone. What you get is a powerful, cloud-connected aerial vehicle for a fraction of the cost of a typical drone.
Easy to use - No drone experience necessary.
Affordable -Your smartphone already has a powerful processor and multiple sensors. Why pay for all those things over again when buying a drone?
Familiar - Our companion app is simple and intuitive.
Pack PhoneDrone Ethos for next adventure. It will be ready at a moment's notice.
Compatible with all your devices - iOS, Android, and even Apple Watch!
Control and video streaming -Easily tether to another mobile device for control and video streaming.
Built in charger - Charge from any USB source - or swap batteries for extended flight times.
- A camera mirror - Shoot straight down, forward, or to the side!
Worried about your phone? We get that.
We know some of you are a little worried about sending your precious smartphone up into the air. That's why we've developed several safety features that will protect your phone in the event of the unexpected.
Redundant Electronic Design: Borrowing techniques from full-sized aircraft design, we've built in redundancy into hardware and software design. This allows backup systems to take over if primary systems fail - and brings your smartphone home safely.
Protective Universal Mount: We know (stuff) happens. That's why we cradled the phone in a protective neoprene sheath that provides vibration isolation as well as the ultimate shock protection. It can even hold waterproof smartphone cases for some piece of mind over water.
Still not convinced? PhoneDrone Ethos is compatible with many low cost smartphones - some as low as $50. So pick up an extra smartphone and you'll still be flying the lowest cost cloud-connected autonomous drone on the planet.
Charles Manning and JD Claridge met three years ago. They had a common passion for business and the pursuit of flight. They also saw the amazing opportunity surrounding drones and their potential uses in the everyday activities of life.
Together they formed xCraft in 2014 and launched their first product, the X PlusOne; a high speed VTOL drone. With Charles' software background and JD's aerospace and hardware expertise; the X PlusOne was a standout success; garnering almost 300% of its Kickstarter goal and catapulting xCraft into the public spotlight.
With X PlusOne deliveries currently underway, PhoneDrone Ethos is the next horizon. They've surrounded themselves with a high caliber team who is sure to deliver on this ground breaking product.
Have an app that could leverage drone technology? We've got you covered. Our team will be releasing the PhoneDrone Controller API to the market, allowing developers to build drone capability into their existing apps, and even create completely new apps around this technology - imagine the innovation.
Key Milestones (Already Done)
- Inception of PhoneDrone Ethos - December 2014 - DONE
- Conceptualize overall design - January 2015 -DONE
- File patent application - February 2015 - DONE
- Develop prototype iterations and test - March 2015 -DONE
- First flight of conforming prototype - June 2015 - DONE
- Finalize costs, develop supply chain and manufacturing capability- August 2015 -DONE
- KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED - October 2015 -DONE!
Key Milestones (After successful funding)
- Order molded and custom components - January 2016
- Order for off-the-shelf parts - February 2016
- Secure backup supply chain - April 2016
- Molded and custom parts manufactured - June 2016
- Confirm app conformance with manufactured units - July 2016
- Final assembly and testing at the xCraft factory - August 2016
- SHIP PHONEDRONE ETHOS TO ALL OUR GREAT BACKERS! - September 2016
- Weight: 350g (12.3 oz)
- Dimensions: 267 x 231 x 56 mm (10.5 x 9.1 x 2.2 in)
- Compatibility: iOS, Android, and Apple Watch - See compatible models below
- Wireless Pairing: Wi-Fi
- Flight Time: 15-20 minutes
- Speed: 0-35 MPH
- Payload: 200g (7.0 oz)
- Patent-pending smartphone core design
- Device Compatibility
- iPhone: 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus
- Maximum phone dimensions: 160 x 80 x 10 mm
- Minimum phone dimensions: 115 x 58 x 6 mm
- Apple Watch
- Android: Designed to operate on Samsung Galaxy S II and newer. Will operate on most similar-generation Android smartphones.
Risks and challenges
Any project has risks challenges. And PhoneDrone Ethos is no exception. However, with contacts and experience we've gathered during development and manufacture of the X PlusOne, the chance of success of Ethos is good. We have managed to successfully source electronics, plastic, foam, and final assembly for the X PlusOne. Many of the PhoneDrone Ethos' parts are similar and use the same processes. We have a good working relationship with the factories and can spool up assembly quickly. Since, we've been through the process before, we know better what to expect.
There are still risks present around completion of the app and beta testing. One concern is the large number of Android devices and the amount of testing that must be performed. We understand new challenges can, and do, always arise in design, validation, tooling, assembly, and delivery. But we're ready for the challenges.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (39 days)