This project's funding goal was not reached on July 20, 2012.
About this project
This project is being created to help underprivileged youth succeed in life and society. Nowhere do kids learn better than by having fun and actively participating. That's why I'm dedicating my studies of sport psychology to the best means for teaching youth how to make a positive impact on their lives and futures.
I grew up in a small town in Oregon and relished in the fact that I always had some form of recreational activity to engage in. As I got older, I started to study language and travel the world to see bigger and better places. What I started to realize was that sports and recreation seemed to be somewhat of a social "glue" that held families and cultures together. I took this concept of 'educational play' and worked towards a graduate degree from John F. Kennedy University in sport psychology; all the while transferring much needed skills to underprivileged youth from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds throughout the country.
What I began to see was that these same youth who were at-risk for drug use, violence, poverty, and general social underachievement were highly receptive to these means of education. Recreation is fun! Quickly they began to engage and adapt to more appropriate socialized behaviors and reduce their propensity for the maladjusted coping skills that they were used to in the past. Youth even began generalize these skills to other areas of their life and improve their test taking, work ethic, family engagement, and peer relations. All this because youth were able to raise their confidence and self-esteem through finding success in fun activities!!!
What I've done now is work toward utilizing these sport psychology techniques to help all youth learn the positive skills necessary to succeed in societies around the world. This form of active-learning can be applied to any form of sport/recreation/interactive game or activity that you can think of! And the best part is that anyone can learn how to engage the youth in their homes or communities and build their confidence by educating them in an enjoyable, active-learning manner.
The funds for this project will go directly to helping create a book that outlines through sport psychology techniques, how to engage youth in an active and educational manner that promotes life and social skills development. Focus of the book will be on building a positive culture through activities that promote enhanced motivation, self-esteem, confidence, awareness of self, adaptive coping, accountability, goal setting, stress management, and adherence to commitments.Fundraising will also go towards: publishing, graphs, book designs, artwork, marketing, and rewards!!
Thank you for your commitment and support to our youth and our futures.
"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation." -Plato
Q&A: Because You Asked For It!!!
- Who benefits from my pledge? -The kids!! And not just at-risk youth. These techniques are specially designed to assist anyone with the teaching and learning process than can transpire through recreation.
- Who can use this information? -Everyone!! Parents, teachers, social workers, psychologists, and coaches will especially find this information useful in guiding their youth towards achieving greater goals in life!
- Why should I pledge? -Besides the awesome rewards that come along with your pledge, you'll have peace of mind knowing that you'll be changing the lives of youth around the country for the better!
- What if I've never donated before? -It's easy! All the cool kids are doing it!! What better way to give back to others and feel connected with those who have such a positive nature?! Just contribute what you can now and feel good about yourself later!!!
- How can I keep track of where my money goes? -Weekly updates will be sent via email for those interested in the process and stages that the book will be going through. For those less interested, a final summary will be sent out upon completion to inform about the final product.
- How else can I assist? -Tell your family and friends all about it!! This book is something that will benefit them and those they love too!! The more you share with others, the greater our success will become!!!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)