We’re bringing the game to life as a full-color Print on Demand book, and a high quality indexed PDF. A complete game experience for 2-6 players including the Game Master. The game contains all setting and system materials needed for play and comes packed with game tools and tricks on how to best portray a morally ambiguous world, where the dark secrets of the past come back to haunt you. Literally.
The Book will have roughly 90-110 pages, and we are printing and delivering it with the DriveThruRPG as an 8.5in x 8.5in full-color format hardcover. The DriveThruRPG fulfillment model enables us to produce a high-quality base product, with a reasonable minimum funding goal for the campaign and low risk for both the funder and us.
Crisp photography by Hanna Erkinjuntti, the humanist fonts chosen for best readability on paper and screen, and a beautiful minimalist layout all help to create a modern Nordic Design look for the book: Pushing the limits of Role-Playing games graphic design to deliver an outstanding experience for the reader.
The Book has seven chapters.
- The Premise: Who are the Quick? What is Nordic Noir and how do we combine it with ghost stories? How does the game play out?
- The Engine: Running the game. The rules, and Player Moves to play out the different aspects of the game.
- The Characters: Character creation, character concepts, and example characters.
- The Antagonists: The three classic Antagonists of Nordic Noir and ideas how to use the Bureau, the Family, the Firm in games and character backgrounds.
- The Echoes: Ghosts, Echoes and the things beyond. How to create the ghosts and hauntings for your games.
- The Stories: Creating mysteries, running the game, and using the GM moves and the threat tracks.
- Examples: Echoes, Scenes, and a ready-to-play Scenario “Just add the people” to get your game going from the ground up.
The Book will be delivered with DriveThruRPG and delivered by standard mail service.
Roughly half of the team is involved in digital design and production, and we have made usability a design principle for the product from the ground up.
To make the game better on digital devices: we are creating a separate digital PDF edition of the game available with all backer levels. The PDF will be aimed for digital consumption and works best on a laptop or a tablet. It will be separately indexed and enhanced with quick links between related game concepts.
The Digital edition will contain all the material printed with the book.
A retired firefighter wakes to smoke in the house. An active student smuggles the party to the underground club. The Exorcist senses a presence.
People come from somewhere. They are made of stories. Stories have weight.
The Quick is a character driven game built on a custom system using the best tech from current role-playing and story game design trends. The game centers on a group of characters dealing with the death and the Echoes.
These characters, the Quick, are each defined by a concept and their separate background and specialty Traits. These Traits form the basis of the game system. Without any stats or numbers, these allow the game mechanics to resolve any conflicts the characters meet in an interesting and relevant fashion. The system works excellently for games focused on character immersion and the stories driven by character related premises.
Our design decouples the story driving techniques introduced by the Apocalypse World from the Archetype based Player Moves, enabling a more personalized and immersive play and conflict resolution. The players use Moves to overcome the challenges and solve the mysteries the characters encounter, while the Game Master uses Story Moves and Tracks to drive the Scenario. The Moves and Tracks approach lets us have all the story creation power of Powered by the Apocalypse games in a more free form, and character focused role-playing game.
A preview for the tech and the rules can be found on our development blog.
Our aim as creators is to build this game as professionally as possible. This goal requires us to meet a certain minimum funding for the project to be feasible. As we can do most of the layout, art, and editing in-house, we can set the goal to the point where the game funds its creation by itself, and the long tail sales pay for our work.
The Book will be printed with DriveThruRPG and delivered by standard mail service. The postal costs are added to the cost of the game: 45DKK ($6.5) for USA/Canada, 90DKK (12€) for Europe, and 135 DKK to Australia/Mexico.
- 75DKK (~11$ / ~10€) - Electronic Voice Phenomenon The Digital Edition PDF.
- 190DKK (~28$ / ~25.5€) - (11) Rogue Ops Super early bird special: the PoD book, and the Digital Edition PDF for reduced price.
- 225DKK (~33$ / ~30€) - (11) a Spook Early bird special: the PoD book, and the Digital Edition PDF for reduced price.
- 260DKK (~38$ / ~35€) - a Seeker The PoD book, and the Digital Edition PDF
- 1100DKK (~161$ / ~148€) - The Safe House You get the 5 PoD books, with Digital Edition PDF download codes.
- 1370DKK (~200$ / ~185€) - An Anomaly A Signed edition of the PoD book with a backer only cover, A Special Copy of VEIL drafting game (Beta Limited Edition) that inspired The Quick. (Physical book delivery can be delayed due to signature logistics)
Campaign structure and stretch goals
Myrrysmiehet is an European indie games studio known locally for high quality design and ground breaking game design. Our latest creations (in Finnish!) are Young Adult themed Hood, the dystopian Man in the High Castle meets the Thing game Vihan Lapset. We are also contributing through the MYRRYS game design collective to games such as the card-drafting game VEIL and the Ironspine's Mad Max meets Cthulhu game Chthonian Highways.
Our team for The Quick is
- Ville Takanen, lead art and game design.
- Petri Leinonen, game design
- Teemu Rantanen, game design
- Hanna Erkinjuntti, photography
- Jukka Sorsa, production
- David Thorhauge, production
You can find our game development diary at http://thequickrpg.com
The Ashcan or demo ruleset and all the pre-release material can be found here: https://thequickrpg.com/pre-release-material/
The project also has a facebook page which you can join for announcements and updates if you are still waiting for more info before you decide to back us. (We’ll push the project updates from the blog and other sources to the Kickstarter backer feed, so no need to subscribe all three if you do not want to).
Risks and challenges
This is our second game in English, and 11th game we are creating with Myrrysmiehet. The game text is being written, and it should be finished by the plan based on our earlier game projects.
While Myrrysmiehet is a seasoned publisher and our team has been involved in multiple game productions: this is our first truly international project. Thus the Kickstarter+DTRPG is a good platform for product delivery. This channel of funding and fulfillment should enable us to leverage our local production capability to an international market.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)