Major updates since the beginning of the campaign:
Update 12: Character creation and combat!
Update 9: Add-ons and new cover artwork
Update 6, 7, and 8: World Building Week!
Update 5: Book 2 - Spire Ablaze details and Cover reveal!
Update 4: Welcome to the City!
Update 3: Anatomy of a Gamebook
The softcover option for $32 Canadian dollars is equal to $25 US dollars.
Fully re-designed and formatted for print! Westward Dystopia was originally released for Android systems. That release is being updated and re-formatted as a premium printed gamebook and properly hyperlinked ebook in all popular formats!
Original Art by Fighting Fantasy veteran artist Tony Hough and David White!
- Open-ended design featuring numerous options for progression with six vastly differing endings (and one secret ending): Westward Dystopia was designed from the ground up to encourage exploration and multiple playthroughs. At over 120 thousand words in length, this gamebook is a full-length novel!
- Storyline and character-oriented older teen/adult-level prose: Combat takes a back seat to choice and exploration. Many combats can be avoided entirely through the right choices.
- Fight, assist, or bypass several unique Wasteland dwellers. But beware! Your actions and choices may have consequences down the road!
- Join a powerful mutant tribe or seek vengeance? Will you join forces with a brutal tribal faction and attempt to steer them towards a better future? Will you instead wreak havoc upon them in repayment for their misdeeds? Or perhaps you could sneak by them entirely, realizing your goals with a minimum of bloodshed?
- Simple combat rules using easy-to-learn RPG stats and standard six-sided dice. Use pre-rolled character archetypes or roll your own!
- Upgrade your weapons and armor. Uncover stashes of gold and barter for medical kits and survival supplies at the open market.
- Achievements are hidden throughout the book! A convenient check-list is included to let you know what you may have missed during your first playthrough!
- Main character is gender-neutral in the text to facilitate more enjoyable role-playing for readers of any gender. Some early artwork depicts the character as male. Future volumes will not depict the main character in internal artwork.
- Post-apocalyptic world with sci-fi and fantasy elements! Westward Dystopia features light fantasy elements and some sci-fi styled scenes. Hundreds of years of mutations and evolution have created rare mutants possessing control over the elements, including limited pyrokinesis!
- Free Android app for all backers! All backers will receive access to a downloadable copy of Westward Dystopia for Android as a bonus!
- The adventure continues in Books 2 and 3! A sequel and a prequel, both volumes are being written simultaneously and are nearing 50% completion of the first draft.
Greek Winter Media is a proud member of the http://kickingitforward.org community with 46 projects backed to date and many more to come!
The Road Not Taken...
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
Gamebooks and Interactive Fiction are in the midst of a second renaissance. After disappearing from the public landscape for well over a decade, the 2010's have seen a delightful resurgence of the genre thanks to crowdfunding platforms like Kickstarter, and the popularity of devices such as tablets and smartphones. Westward Dystopia was originally created as an app for Android devices with the intention of bringing it to print and iOS. After a successful launch and favorable reviews, it is now time to make the dream of a proper physical release a reality!
Greek Winter Media chose the name 'Road Less Travelled Gamebooks' for our series of interactive fiction as an homage to Robert Frost's poem 'The Road Not Taken'. The human condition finds us perpetually fascinated by the wonders of what might have been. We make thousands of decisions in our every day lives which shape and mold us. As immortalized in Frost's oft misunderstood poem, we look back into our pasts and weave tales in which we take the nobler path forward when in fact many differing paths are of equal worth and measure. Would taking that divergent path have lessened us in some fashion? What if we could tread that other way through the yellow wood and relive our lives, altering key decisions as well as smaller, less consequential ones? Gamebooks have always appealed to this mentality and allow us, as readers, to alter key moments in a character's history, exploring what might have been had we chosen differently the first time around.
Introducing 'A Road Less Travelled' Book One:
Westward Dystopia is the first volume of a planned series of interactive fiction gamebooks set in the post-apocalyptic world of tomorrow. Centuries ago a terrible war laid waste to humanity, irradiating the globe and changing the lives of those who would survive forever. This event came to be known as The Razing, and the specifics regarding its provenance have passed from history into the fickle realms of myth and legend. You are an artifact hunter burdened under the weight of an unhappy past. You came of age while living in one of the few isolated cities left in the Wasteland--the technological marvel that is the city of Root. You were betrayed by your homeland and you fled, seeking solace in the pursuit of wires and gears unearthed with some hardship from a seemingly inexhaustible treasure trove. The wastes abound with secrets to uncover, but your time has nearly run out. History may be repeating itself. Some secrets should remain buried, while others are necessary to humankind's continued survival!
As revealed in the updates, the covers of books 2 and 3! To add-on Ebook copies, add $8 CAD each ($6.40 US / 4.25 GBP / 5.80 Euro)
See Update 9 for pricing and shipping details for physical copies of these add-ons: HERE
Creating a printed series of books is a very expensive proposition for an indie writer/developer which requires a great deal of time and investment on top of what was required for the app version. Aside from the obvious costs associated with actually printing and shipping the book, there is also the surprisingly complex topic of formatting and editing. If a typo is discovered in an app, an update can easily fix it. Unfortunately, we have yet to develop a method of pushing updates to printed media. I await THAT Kickstarter with open arms!
Upon successful completion of this Kickstarter, Westward Dystopia will undergo a second deep editing process. After the edit is complete, the book will be given its final formatting in standard Trade paperback format. (6" by 9" / 152mm x 229mm) the same form factor used in popular modern gamebooks such as Marc J Wilson's 'Dangerous Worlds' and James Schannep's 'Click Your Poison'.
The ebook versions will be finalized with proper clickable/tappable links which will make reading from section to section a breeze! Once all preparations are complete, it's off to the printer with the final manuscript for a proof copy! Once the proof is received, it will be read through by our playtesters to make sure everything is perfect, and then the backer copies will be manufactured and shipped across the world!
$5000 - Additional artwork for books 2 and 3 will be commissioned!
$6500 - Development of Westward Dystopia for iPhone and iPad
Android development is cheap. You can do it on any ole' PC and pay a one-time fee of $25 dollars to Google. That's it! Developing for iOS is a different story. You are required to use a Macintosh for your development and you must pay Apple $100 PER YEAR in order to have your apps on their store. If we reach $6500 CAD during the Kickstarter, we should have sufficient funds to purchase a new workstation and testing device in order to bring the app over to iOS. All backers at the Wastelander level or higher will be able to request a code for a free copy of the iOS version upon completion! Information regarding release date estimates will be discussed in an update upon reaching the stretch goal!
$10,000 - All backers at Wastelander level or above will receive the direct sequel, Book 3, for free as an ebook in their preferred format when it comes out in late 2015/early 2016. (Book 2 is a prequel and can be added through the reward tiers)
Visit the trading post and stock up for the journey ahead – Section 51
Risks and challenges
Westward Dystopia print edition: Risks at this point are fairly minimal. The book has already been written and put through a full round of editing and beta readers. The main challenges remaining are proper formatting for print and a second edit of the text. The worst that could happen is an unforeseen issue with our current choice of printer, but we have chosen two excellent backups just in case so production should not be sufficiently delayed in the event of disaster.
Ebook edition: Without the concern of printing a physical edition, there is virtually no risk with the ebook version. As above, the book itself is already been written, it just needs to finish the editing process and be formatted into your favorite ebook format.
Book 2: Some of the reward tiers include the second book of the series. This gamebook is approximately 50% completed. The tentative release window is late summer for book 2. This release window has been chosen judiciously, with knowledge of writing speed and leaving time for editing and formatting.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)