This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Fri, December 14 2018 6:01 AM UTC +00:00.
STREAM THE FIRST SINGLE
Take a listen to the first single from Codex Aegis and keep scrolling down for all the info you could ever possibly want or imagine!
Hello! My name is Gustaf Fjelstrom and I’m an artist/musician/producer from San Jose, CA. I make instrumental music in the ambient / post rock / electronic genre—heavy on the bass guitar. I’ve been recording my own music since 2009 and have released three full-length albums, two eps, and a handful of singles and remixes.
WHAT AM I MAKING?
Last year we successfully funded The Priheral Arc: Volume I here on Kickstarter. And now I'm back with my new album: Codex Aegis: Volume II of the Peripheral Arc.
Once again... its DONE. Mixed. Mastered. And ready to go. I'll be releasing it on Digital, Compact Disc, and—with your help... VINYL.
ABOUT THE ALBUM
Codex Aegis continues the trajectory of The Peripheral Arc with 8 more tracks of instrumental ambient rock, and rounds out this current batch of compositions that have been in the works for a little more than two years. I'm delving even deeper into the realms of ambient soundscapes, dreamy analog synth textures, pulsing heartfelt rhythms, and, of course... thick, meaty bass guitar. I played and recorded all the instrumentation here in my studio except for the live drums—those were performed by my good friend Noah Elias.
I finished mixing the album earlier this year had it mastered by Rafael at Black Knoll Studio... and I'm extremely excited to share it with you all.
Something different this time around... CODEX AEGIS is a DOUBLE ALBUM. Not only do we have the 8 track album "proper", but I've produced an ambient version of the entire album... reconstructed and remixed from the ground up.
Who buys physical music anymore? It turns out, a lot of people. I find its pretty amazing that even with the ubiquitous nature of digital, I've sold more vinyl packages than any other format. Of course, its great that on a platform like Bandcamp, you can have the best of both worlds... physical products AND immediate access digitally.
This time around... it gets a bit more personal.
Growing up in a large family means you get a lot of hand-me-downs. In my case, this was not limited to ill-fitting clothes. It was from my brother Erik that I inherited my passion for music and my interest in the band RUSH. And also these old RUSH LPs that he offloaded to me as the CD era started... battered edges and all.
My brother passed away earlier this year at the age of 52. He didn't leave much in the way of remembrances... but I do have my love of music and I do have these old LPs. They have a history. He bought them, he played them... and their edges tell those stories. Time and meaning give them this patina... and this connection... to the music, and to my brother.
This is what I want for my music. An experience connected to a physical artifact... Beyond virtual. Beyond digital. Beyond streaming...
Though it was slightly nerve-wracking during the campaign period, last years Kickstarter was a success. We exceeded our initial funding goal with just 70 backers. We're returning to Kickstarter to crowdsource the funds needed for CD and Vinyl manufacturing.
The funding for this project is set at $5000. (technically, to be precise, its $5,266.05, but I'll throw in the first $266.05.) This will cover the cost for the vinyl pressing, CD duplication, the rewards, shipping, the Kickstarter fees, and the payment processing fees. And that's it. Everything else is on me!
WHAT WILL BE PRODUCED?
We'll be producing 250 copies of the album on 12" heavyweight 180g black vinyl with full-color center labels. The records will be in black paper poly-lined inner sleeves inserted in heavyweight 350gsm matte-laminated jackets.
The CD version will be a 4-panel full-color eco-wallet.
All pledges for tiers will include a digital download of the album.
We have several tiers from which to choose... so... choose wisely!
- Digital Download: Perhaps you're not into all these physical artifacts? No problemo. You can still support the project by pledging to this tier and receive a digital download of the album.
- Compact Disc: CD quality! You can get it right here. This is a two-cd set packaged in a gate-fold eco-wallet. (Also includes digital download)
- Vinyl Album: This is what you came for. Pressed on 12" heavyweight 180g black vinyl with full-color center labels. The records will be in black paper poly-lined inner sleeves inserted in heavyweight 350gsm matte-laminated jackets. (Also includes digital download)
- T-shirt (Kickstarter Exclusive): You'll only be able to get this baby right here on Kickstarter. Early Bird pledgers will be able to snag the vinyl + cd + t-shirt bundle for a reduced price... but only the first 25 will get the worm!
- Album Credit: Your name in lights. Okay, well maybe not lights... but in print at least. Immortalized in the liner notes on both the vinyl album and compact disc. This tier includes the digital download, vinyl and cd combo, and t-shirt.
- Release Party VIP: We will be holding a special release/listening party in San Francisco (exact date TBD) at Envlope SF. Backers of this tier will receive 1 VIP ticket to this one-of-a-kind event. Envelop is a nonprofit that amplifies the power of music through immersive listening experiences. Its an immersive audio experience with 32 speakers surrounding the audience... Not to be missed. Please note the venue is located in San Francisco, CA and transportation to the event is NOT included in the pledge. (Also includes the digital download, vinyl + cd combo, t-shirt, and album credit)
- Test Pressing Bundle: Interested in an ultra-rare artifact of the production process? Test pressings are produced by the vinyl manufacturing plant for the artist to listen to and approve before final pressing. Only a very limited number of these will be available. (Also includes the digital download, vinyl + cd combo, t-shirt, album credit, and 1 Release party VIP ticket)
- Private Concert (Ambient Set) SF Bay Area: Now's your chance to host your own listening party? Backers at this tier will be treated to a private house concert anywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area. You supply the space, and I'll supply the space-music. This will be a solo/ambient/remix set. Exact dates TBD. (Also includes the digital download, vinyl + cd combo, t-shirt, album credit, and 1 Release party VIP ticket)
- Private Concert (Ambient Set) CONTINENTAL US: Backing this tier will get you a private house concert at your place of residence (or similar). This will be a solo/ambient/remix set. Exact dates TBD. (Also includes the digital download, vinyl + cd combo, t-shirt, album credit, and 1 Release party VIP ticket)
The Kickstarter campaign will run for 21 days. Upon successful completion, the manufacturing order will be placed. Current turnaround time for the vinyl pressing is a 8-10 weeks. I've given a conservative estimate of mid-March 2019, but if the records are received ahead of schedule, they'll be shipped out early.
One of the drawbacks with this whole vinyl thing is the shipping. Vinyl is expensive to ship, especially to our friends internationally. The vinyls will be shipped in sturdy cardboard mailers offering ample protection. The records will be shipped via USPS media mail in the US. Unfortunately, there's no media mail option for international shipping, so the cost will be a little higher. The shipping costs will be added to your pledge amount.
Thank you for taking the time to check out my Kickstarter campaign, and congratulations for making it all the way to the bottom. You are to be commended! Thanks so much for your consideration!
All the best....
Risks and challenges
As I mentioned, the album is DONE. Ready to go. In the can. The album IS coming out. The only potential risks lie in the realm of manufacturing defects, delays, or the like. We'll be sure to keep you updated every step of the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!