While our kickstarter campaign was not successful, I am determined to bring the product to market. As such we will be reviewing other avenues. Click here for updates as to when you can get your ShaPooPee!!
How many times have you gone out of the house and realized, “Uh…I forgot my poop bags”, or "my flashlight" or worse “my house keys”. Well, I solved the problem and want to bring it to the masses!
I wanted something which I could take with me every time and use it every day, for years and not just another poorly made throwaway pet product. It needed to be something that would allow me to carry all of the essential items on me in one simple carrying utility and not in a fanny pack! It also needed to be something sturdy, well balanced, clean looking and high quality and so, ShaPooPeeTM was born!
The Design- I have taken the design of ShaPooPeeTM very seriously and have literally made about a hundred prototypes. I don’t think there is a drawer in my home that doesn't have one of these versions knocking around in it.
I have put in 9+ months of development time into designing the perfect dog walking tool. Every aspect of the design has been scrutinized from weight, to ergonomics to ease of use. I know you will love it, just as I do!
1) Super Bright White LED flashlight to light your way or ummm… poop at night. Some words on the tech part! ShaPooPeeTM Sports a single super bright white 7150 mcd (milli-candella) LED, powered by a super-efficient lighting engine which slowly sips power from the replaceable 1.5V battery.
2) Built in spare Key/Money holder- Oh yeah I went there! Have you ever took your little guy or gal out in a hurry because he/she is doing the pee-pee spinning thingy. Just screaming “I can’t hold it much longer mom or dad!” So you just grab your furry kid, leash, a poop bag and close the door behind you. Only to return after your walk and realize you are locked out??? Don’t worry furry parent, we have all been there. I've even made the key storage compartment a wee bit over sized so you could fit up to 3 keys or 1 key and a few dollars. You never know when your walk may be a bit long and you need to buy yourself or your little guy/gal a drink.
3) Built In training treat storage area- Avoid losing out on training opportunities by always having training treats at hand. I've included an extra deep storage area for training treats when your on your walk or just out for a quick potty break.
The Doggy Poop Bag Issues...
Current dog waste bag holding dispensers all suffer from the same issues which are: tearing off a single bag, seeing how may bags are left and pinching the bags through a small hole. Lets look at how ShaPooPee fixes it all!
4) "I just want to rip off a bag easily"- I wanted a way to rip off the perforated bags easily, one at a time. Which isn't so easy when your little guy is wrapping the leash around your legs in anticipation of a treat. So I've added a way to tear the bags easily!
5) "Umm.. How many bags are left?" Have you ever taken your furry kid for a walk thinking that you have enough bags because you can see at least one coming out of the container? Only to find out mid-walk that you were actually looking at the last bag in the canister and now you're out? What if you live in an area which fines you if you don't pick up after your pet? I've seen people resort to some pretty "unique" ways of dealing with being out of bags and ummm... none of them are pretty. I fixed this by adding a unique way of telling just how many bags are left!
6) The bag loading conundrum- Current dog waste bag holders require you to load the fully rolled bags into the canister and pinch out the first one through a very small whole. This isn't always the fastest thing to do when the "pee-pee, poo-poo dance" is in full swing.
I've fixed this too!!
7) How do I carry it? ShaPooPeeTM is small and light enough to be carried via a wrist strap. So you can walk your dog with one hand and carry ShaPooPee TM with the other.
So Why do I need Kickstarter?
All parts thus far have been printed on my own 3D printer to allow for fast development time.
While my prototypes look and work great, they are not mass producible. Just one ShaPooPeeTM takes me about 8 hours to print and assemble!.
Now that the design is complete, I am ready to move to the next stage and create Injection molded parts! This is where your help comes in. In order to make my dream come true of bringing it to the masses, I need help and not just any help but Kickstarter help! Your Help!
The money raised will be used as follows:
1)Kickstarter and Amazon fees. I couldn't be happier to have to pay these fees; after all if it weren't for Kickstarter, I wouldn't have this opportunity. So thank you kickstarter for providing the platform and Amazon payments for processing.
2)Rewards which consist of the following costs:
- Molds, Molds, Molds- The most expensive piece of the process.
-ShaPooPeeTM individual plastic units created from the molds in ABS solid plastic.
-Electronics- ShaPooPeeTM has a high efficiency white led lighting engine which requires some special circuitry to pull every watt of power out of the battery.
- Assembly Costs and Giving back to America. I have contracted with a reliable mold manufacturer (Proto Labs) who are based in the US. Yes, it’s more expensive but I am hoping that you feel that paying a slight premium for a product is worth supporting American jobs.
-Packaging- I want to minimize my footprint on the environment and as such have decided on a minimalist approach to packaging. I am using biodegradable peanuts in the appropriately sized shipping container.
Time Frames: Upon successful funding the following time line will be used to manufacture ShaPooPee TM.
1) Files Sent to Proto Labs for immediate mold manufacturing.
Mid June 2013
2) Actual Fabricated Units shipped from Proto Labs to Me for assembly
Early July 2013
3) Individual ShaPooPee TM units are assembled, tested and packaged by a small team of "ShaPooPee-ites".
Late July 2013
4) Packaging and Shipping
Late August 2013
Risks and challenges
ShaPooPeeTM consists of only four molds and one extremely simple circuit, as such there is very little in the way of risks. I have placed a huge amount of effort in making ShaPooPeeTM simple from both design and manufacturing perspectives. Every single aspect of the design has been streamlined, tested and retested. There is however one item which could pose a small risk (if at all) which lies in the translation from a 3d printed part to an injection molded part. Before even having started the kickstarter endeavor I worked diligently for months with the molding manufacture to identify any issues which may have existed in this translation. At this point all identifiable issues have been resolved and retested. The only thing left to do is make the molds.
If I do hit some unexpected speed bumps (which I fully expect) I am confident in my abilities to overcome them. I am no stranger to the manufacturing world as I have been working in the industry for over 10 years. I am intimately familiar with the unique challenges which arise from engineering. Speeds bumps to me are just that, a speed bump, it may slow me down but will not prevent the product from getting into the hands of my loyal ShaPooPee-ites!
- (30 days)