About this project
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Pledges of $25 or more will now receive this awesome stress ball!
What This Is
- 'Ohno' represents your great granddaughter, and she is impacted by the climate change caused from today
- On SaveOhno.org, you see her town get destroyed by extreme weather
- When you take action in the real world, her town improves in the website
- Once you've completed the tasks we've laid out, you can start your own campaigns and get others to contribute
- An example 'campaign' could be a petition to get your local school to invest in renewables
- All of your efforts are captured and showcased as a social profile for what you've done
In The Press
What This Means For You
Picture this: You're sitting on your couch, without pants on, saving the world.
- SaveOhno allows you to easily drive change in a fun way
- Everything you do on the platform is a real world, tangible action
- And yes, you can do it without wearing pants
What We Need
- Seed funding to launch the project
- Initial user base of passionate people
- People who spread the word
How You Can Make This A Reality
- Help fund us on Kickstarter
- Become one of our first users
- Tell your friends about this initiative
- $7,500 is the minimum amount we need to launch the project and reach about 20,000 people in advertising
- Every additional advertising $1 past our initial goal results in 13 more people who are exposed to SaveOhno.org
Since development and design will be done by us and we're not taking any salaries, more than 50% of your donation goes towards promoting the website, while the rest goes towards necessary operational expenses. Because of this, your contributions directly impact the success of this project.
We are building a community, so promotion is our most important expense.
When This Will Happen
Congrats! Your attention span is fantastic. Here's some more info in case you want to learn more:
SaveOhno Boston, NY, and SF are events where people could showcase their environmental projects and dreams to the SaveOhno community. SaveOhno Events would be a bridge between the virtual game and the real world users.
At this stretch goal, we would track our journey and create a documentary to be delivered for free, to every backer. It would bring you through the emotional story of three college students trying to tackle a global issue, while also highlighting and showcasing the amazing efforts of the SaveOhno community.
In Depth: The Game
The SaveOhno Game serves two purposes:
1. To be the 'first step' for every SaveOhno user, where they take action at a federal level.
2. To be the reference point of The SaveOhno Platform, where they see a visual representation of future progress, based off their activity in the platform (which is typically at more of a state and municipal level).
When you visit SaveOhno.org for the first time, your first objective will be to complete the game. It will be a short, 2-3 minute game where you see Ohno's town get destroyed, learn the basic concept of how our choices impact her future life, and complete 2-4 action items. Then, you create your account and enter the SaveOhno platform, where you can start your own initiatives and support others.
Once you complete the game and enter the platform, the SaveOhno Game serves as a reference point for your progress. As you start your own projects and contribute to others, her town continues to change. Prolonged inactivity may result in town degradation, and consistent activity may keep the town in good shape.
In Depth: The Platform
On the platform, you can create a new campaign (petition, protest, social media ad or 'create your own') and share it with your followers on SaveOhno and other social media sites. Your followers and the general users of SaveOhno.org will be able to see your project and help make it successful. Then, the SaveOhno team will help you every step of the way in order to make sure your project idea becomes a reality.
* Important disclaimer: we are not attempting to be a crowdfunding platform for environmental startups, documentarians, creators etc. We are attempting to be a crowdsourcing platform for anyone to launch an initiative and get it crowdsourced (i.e. petition signings, protest signups etc) and eventually created with the support of SaveOhno. This is vastly different than crowdfunding websites like Kickstarter, IndieGoGo etc. Users are not allowed to profit from initiatives they start on our website, and users cannot give out perks/rewards.
In Depth: The Perks
In-Game Badges: We're giving people achievement badges based on their actions within the game, and their level of support in the Kickstarter campaign. These badges are a way for you to show your friends how active and involved you are, and how you were involved from the beginning.
Names on the Website: Your name will be put on a page within the website as a thank you to all our backers. You'll be able to show your friends your name and be able to say "Hey look, I made a difference."
Custom SaveOhno Pen: A pen with the SaveOhno logo on it.
Stress Ball: A yellow stress ball with our megaphone on it,
Early Access Beta Tester: We're offering these backers the chance to test the site before launch and give us feedback. This will be a unique opportunity for everyone who contributes.
We Plant a Tree: We will plant a tree in the state of Massachusetts.
Personalized 'Ohno-Style' Character: You will send us a picture of you, and we'll create a personalized character for you to use on your page, or wherever you'd like to showcase your beautiful face.
T-Shirt: A unique shirt with the SaveOhno logo on the back -
Lump of Coal: We will encase a lump of coal in a glass enclosure which is engraved with 'One Fewer Piece of Coal in the Atmosphere'
Board Position Interview: For those that are especially passionate about this issue and about this idea, we will interview you for a position on our board of advisers.
Making a Difference
It's true, one person changing their light bulbs and driving a hybrid won't solve climate change. Sure, minute differences can add up, but we need big changes in the nation's policies now. Saveohno.org is a way for people to drive change in government policies. By creating petitions, starting protests and contacting politicians, the SaveOhno community can help create and support legislation which will actually make a difference in lowering the US energy consumption.
In Case You Haven't Heard Already
Gamification is a powerful concept. It incentivizes and motivates people while instilling the confidence necessary for anyone to tackle a tough problem. In addition, it can create a personalized, fun experience that traditional platforms simply can't. That's why at SaveOhno, we believe we can create a large, active following with a gamified platform.
Making Climate Change Hit Home
One of the big issues with promoting sustainable living is that the unsustainable actions we take today provide no immediate consequences. For this reason, it's hard for people to visualize the ramifications of buying a pickup truck or blasting the A/C. Therefore, climate change just isn't 'hitting home' for people.
SaveOhno.org is where climate change hits home. When people first visit the site, they immediately see their great granddaughter's town get destroyed because of the actions they're taking today. This personalizes the issue and helps users visualize consequences.
Reaching the 'Average Joe' (and Jane)
In order to make real progress on the issue of climate change, we need to have an active user base that is comprised of more than the current climate activists. We need the average American to be using this platform, and we think gamification and making climate change 'hit home' is how we can reach this audience.
The Importance of the Current Activists
In order to reach the 'Average Joe/Jane', however, we need the current climate activists to be on our platform first. We need this amazing, powerful group of individuals to be our first users in order to begin to gain traction and gain feedback on the features of our website. If we can work with this group to create the perfect platform for climate action while consistently bringing in more people who weren't 'climate activists' beforehand, we should be able to grow to an unforeseen amount of people who are active on this issue. Therefore, without the help of the current climate activists, we have nothing.
In summation, we cannot grow to a huge following if we never generate a smaller, active one.
Risks and challenges
1. In order to eventually reach a large number of people, we need to start with a passionate and active community. If we fail to create this community and provide all of the necessary features to sustain it in our initial launch, we will struggle to gain traction. However despite this hurdle, we are hoping to overcome it through the use of social media and crowdfunding.
2. Development timelines are difficult to predict, due to the difficulty of anticipating the issues that will arise during the software development process. As a result, we have estimated our beta release date for SaveOhno to be around March/April of 2015, although it could take slightly longer.
3. A lot of our rewards rely on third party suppliers and contractors, which slows down our ability to distribute them. We will try and work with the suppliers to make sure that the process of obtaining rewards and distributing them is done as quickly and seamlessly as possible.
4. Server and database fees get pretty expensive as a platform scales, which could be problematic for SaveOhno. If the rate at which we earn revenue is slower than the rate at which we acquire users, we will likely struggle to have enough money to support our platform. In order to prevent this challenge from occuring, we have included a considerable server and database fee budget for us to use while we experiment with our revenue models and pinpoint the most effective strategy.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)