Join us LIVE for the final hour! Click HERE!
*** WE DID IT! *** Thanks to you all. Some folks have suggested we come up with a "stretch goal" (a new number), but you know what? We came here for $99K, and YOU made it happen! We don't wish to insult anyone by saying 'okay, nailed that, what else can we get?'
NOW, if you've yet to become a backer... and one of our fabulous rewards catches your eye, JOIN US! Every dollar we earn above our initial goal will allow us to make DEB that much better – and we promise an inclusive, memorable experience. THANKS again to all our backers – our entire team is over the moon!
Update #5! The apocalyptic sequel to our pitch video:
Update #3! Like selling candy to a baby:
Update #2! DAVID KRUMHOLTZ has joined our cast:
(PRESS - MovieMaker Magazine: http://www.moviemaker.com/articles/trailblazer-tuesday-crowdfunder-of-the-week-night-of-the-living-deb/ Portland Press Herald: http://www.pressherald.com/life/go/Indie_Film__Bringing_the_horror_home_to_Portland_.html Robot Cowboy Samurai: http://www.rcscomic.com/?p=516 Bangor Daily News: http://cultureshock.bangordailynews.com/2014/03/19/big-screen/filmmaker-raising-funds-to-shoot-zombie-comedy-movie-in-maine/ HDSLR Shooter: http://hdslrshooter.com/night-of-the-living-deb-a-zombie-rom-com-needs-your-support/)
WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO?
- Make a funny, kick-ass zombie movie with a female lead.
DOES THE WORLD REALLY NEED ANOTHER ZOMBIE MOVIE?
- Heck yeah! Next question.
WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN PULL THIS OFF?
- We have a hilarious script with great characters & cool action.
- We have a fantastic lead guy: Michael Cassidy (Men at Work)
- We have Ray Wise! (Twin Peaks, Reaper, RoboCop)
- We have David Krumholtz! (Numb3rs, Superbad, Men at Work)
- Director Kyle Rankin knows how to make a fun film (see clips below).
HOW CAN YOU BE SURE I'LL LIKE THE STORY?
- What if ... we let you read the first 16 PAGES of our script? A risky proposition for us, but we believe you'll laugh, become invested, and want to see what happens next! Our screenplay is the brilliant handiwork of Andy Selsor (a Hollywood Black List honoree).
DO YOU HAVE A SOLID PLAN?!!
- There’s no need to shout (though we appreciate your passion). In March, while this project is being funded here on Kickstarter, our team will be casting, hiring crew, researching locations, and creating a shooting schedule.
- We’ll shoot in Maine for 17 days (where we can get locations, talent, some food, and some lodging donated), then we’ll come back to Los Angeles for post-production (the best sound & color companies are here, and often willing to work with small budgets).
- Night of the Living Deb will be finished and gifted to our generous supporters by August of this year (2014)!
IF I DECIDE TO HELP ... AND I’M ONLY SAYING ‘IF’ ... WHERE WILL MY HARD-EARNED MONEY GO?
- Equipment, props, make-up, wardrobe, food, production insurance, travel, lodging, music, sound effects, rewards creation/distribution.
MAYBE I’ll DO NOTHING AND SEE THE MOVIE ONCE IT’S DONE.
- It may never GET done without your help. Since Kickstarter is ‘all-or-nothing' ... the project won’t move forward unless it’s fully funded.
- Help us NOW and in exchange enjoy one of our exclusive rewards – items you may never again have access to if you wait!
AREN’T YOU JUST RIPPING OFF GEORGE ROMERO’S TITLE? EVEN WORSE, AREN’T YOU RIPPING IT OFF IN THE SAME WAY THE WONDERFUL SHAUN OF THE DEAD DID?
- We believe a good title should tell you what kind of viewing experience you’re in for. By standing on the shoulders of these giants ... our audience will know immediately that (1) it’s a ZOMBIE picture, (2) it’s gonna be FUNNY, and (3) it’s gonna have a WOMAN in the lead role.
YOU KEEP FLAUNTING THIS VAGUELY FEMINIST IDEA OF A FEMALE LEAD, BUT YOU'RE JUST A BUNCH OF GUYS ... AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHO WILL BE YOUR 'DEB.'
- True, but we won't let you down – it'll be someone wonderful, and maybe someone you've heard of. Join us, and be among the first to find out who dons the mantle of Deb.
I JUST TOYED WITH THE IDEA OF DONATING ... BUT THE PLEDGE BUTTON REROUTED ME TO AMAZON? IT SAYS I NEED TO OPEN AN ACCOUNT? I'M TOO BUSY TO JUMP THROUGH ALL THESE HOOPS!
- We realize it's a few steps, but it's all very legit. Amazon is Kickstarter's partner ... and handles all the credit cards, etc. Look on the bright side: once you create an account, you'll be able to donate to any other campaign, too.
HEY, I'M NOT EVEN SURE I WANT TO DONATE TO YOURS YET. I HAVE A LOT TO DO TODAY, AND, I DUNNO ... MY CREDIT CARD IS ALL THE WAY IN THE OTHER ROOM ...
- Okay. No problem. We don't want to pressure anyone into joining us.
NO, WAIT! YOU WERE JUST STARTING TO CONVINCE ME. ANY FINAL THOUGHTS TO MAKE ME CLICK THAT GREEN BUTTON?
- Do it to share in the experience of making a super fun zombie movie!
- Do it because one of our rewards caught your eye!!
- Do it because you really want to see Night of the Living Deb exist!!!
NOW WHO'S SHOUTING?
- Us! WE'RE EXCITED!!!
• A SAMPLING OF KYLE RANKIN'S PREVIOUS FILMS (clips & trailers):
Risks and challenges
Every part of the filmmaking process presents risks and challenges, but after creating five feature films and nine shorts (several of them award-winning), we know what it takes to complete an exciting, laugh-out-loud movie. Heck, there were plenty of issues the day we shot our Kickstarter video (like the police almost shutting us down!), but as long as you have a smart, experienced team ... you can handle anything.
Here's the list of great people who helped make our video possible:
shooting, editing, sound, and VFX: TONY COPOLILLO (siopio.com)
sound recording: KEITH PAUGH
zombie wrangling & make-up: CAMERON S. DORTCH
production management: EDWARD L. PLUMB
production assistance: FARRAH WALKER
written & directed: KYLE RANKIN
MICHAEL CASSIDY – himself
RAY WISE – himself
CINDY VELA – herself
MRS. ROMERO – Holly Clapham
ANDY SELSOR – himself
GREG ARATA – himself
Cameron S. Dortch
Kanitha "Krickett" Dortch
Marissa "Rissy" Dollins