About this project
Gusto and Gecko, two little dinosaurs who explore the world in their travel machine, the Rombom.
Webpage: http://gustoandgecko.com (reviews of the first book can be found under the "Newsroom" tab or simply watch our Kickstarter video above).
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gustoandgecko
A SUMMARY OF THE BOOK:
Since their last adventure in Kenya, Gusto and Gecko have been itching to get back into their travel machine. This time, they are visiting New Orleans in Louisiana, USA and their first stop is none other than the quintessential Cafe de Monde, best known for its signature beignets.
As Gusto devours the hot, crispy, sugar-dusted beignet, nothing will prepare them for what happens next!
Will you travel with us?
WHY NEW ORLEANS:
Why not? It's the birthplace of jazz, home to authentic Cajun and Creole cooking and breeding ground for dangerous alligators!
In 2009, I lived in New Orleans and worked with Reprieve for three months. It was four years post-Hurricane Katrina and the devastating effects it had on the city were evident.
Coincidentally, this year marks the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. The city has come a long way since then and I want to use this opportunity to showcase what a beautiful and truly fascinating city New Orleans is and give back to the community.
TELL US ABOUT THIS BOOK SERIES:
The aim of the Gusto & Gecko series is to:
- Introduce children to various animals, plants, food and landscapes;
- Broaden their horizons and inspire curiosity about our world;
- Foster a better understanding and awareness of different cultures and traditions; and
- Invest in the next generation by giving back to the community.
In October 2014, the G&G team successfully crowdfunded for our first book "Gusto & Gecko travel to Kenya" on Pozible. A year later, the book is stocked in bookstores around Australia. Check out our photos from the Sydney Launch Party at Dymocks Bookstore.
With your help, Elinor (my rockstar illustrator) and I can grow Gusto & Gecko to deliver more happiness to kids around the world.
MY "BOOK FOR BOOK" PROMISE:
I am a firm advocate for literacy because I believe it lays the foundation for lifelong learning and it is a tool of personal empowerment.
As a way to give back to the community, for every book you buy through this Kickstarter campaign, I will donate a book to selected charities, public libraries and children’s hospitals around Australia. So every time you buy a G&G book, someone else gets one too. You help open a door for those less fortunate and we can promote literacy together.
Risks and challenges
There are three main challenges facing Gusto & Gecko:
1) I'm trying to raise funds from the same pool of supporters who have already generously supported the first book. So the challenge is to find new people who will be interested in the project.
2) I'll be managing this campaign, writing the second book while juggling a full-time job. I'm confident that I can do it but please bear with me if I make typos in my 2am emails!
3) I'm trying to raise the profile of the book series sufficiently that after this Kickstarter campaign I would no longer need to crowdfund again to publish sequels.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)