Hello creative fiction lovers!
When this project began, it was going to be one volume of Steampunk and Gaslamp Fantasy tales, but with so many amazing submissions, we split it into two. This is your chance to get these complementary collections MONTHS before they will be available to the general public. Both Cogs, Crowns, & Carriages, and Gears, Ghouls, & Gauges contain twelve fantastic Steampunk tales. Plus, we've got other goodies you can add on to your order that are not available anywhere else.
If you aren't familiar with Steampunk, here's the skinny. The word "Steampunk" was coined in 1987 following in the footsteps of the Cyberpunk literary genre. It is a chance for writers to explore the futuristic past that never was, which includes mind-bending technologies, supernatural elements, and re-imagining the world during the height of the steam era. Some of our tales are set in fantasy lands, while others are firmly rooted in the real past but with their own twist.
Approx. half of the funds for this campaign will go towards paying our authors, while the rest is for production costs (editing, cover art), publishing costs (set-up fees, marketing), and taxes/campaign fees. These collections will ONLY be available through this campaign or direct from the authors until Spring of 2020, so don't miss your chance to grab them early.
Update: We hit our minimum goal in just a few days, so check out our stretch goals and bonus rewards at the bottom of the page!
Read on to find out what you will discover in each of our collections to thrill and delight you. You can pledge to get one or both books in digital and print formats. And until the end of September, get them for a special "Early Bird" discounted rate.
All campaign backers will be thanked in both volumes at every reward level AND receive a digital copy of The Steampunk Handbook by Phoebe Darqueling, one of the collections' editors and long-time Steampunk convention lecturer. Thanks to our stretch goals, all backers will also now receive a bonus audio story and an e-book of Riftmakerby Phoebe Darqueling.
What will you find in Cogs, Crowns, and Carriages?
- Secrets and Airships * - An airship pirate's daughter schemes to escape the reach of her father and discover a long lost treasure. By A. F. Stewart
- Regicide and Prejudice - An unexpected inventor has the chance to prove his mettle when he is asked to protect Prince George from assassins. By Paul Michael
- Gho-Power *- A steam carriage designer harnesses an unusual new energy source with surprising consequences. By Michael Chandos
- Nihon Daitan'na * - The Americans will stop at nothing to force Japan to open its borders, but they can't predict what the Emperor has in store for them. By TJ O'Hare
- Monster of the Deep * - A steamship signals for help, but when it arrives, the crew has disappeared without a trace. By Thomas Roggenbuck
- Where the Light Enters * - An apprentice's loyalty is tested when an inventor's young wife looks to him for an escape from her loveless marriage. By Crysta K. Coburn
- Treason in the Sky * - A wartime mechanic discovers a wide-reaching conspiracy with ties to her and her forgotten past. By Jacy Sellers
- Catchin' Gargoyles * - A gargoyle hunter thinks he knows everything about them until his latest mission proves him wrong. By Tim Kidwell
- The Last Sleep - A post-mortem photographer wishes to save her brother from his illness, but she learns everything comes with a price. By Sarah Van Goethem
- The Mobius Trip * - a shapeshifter's psyche is shattered by the asylum's experiments and he's doomed to repeat the same delusion-filled hour. By Phoebe Darqueling
- The Last Automaton of Doctor Jubal Varva - An aging inventor builds one last machine to end the decades-long war and atone for past mistakes. By KA Lindstrom
- Peregrine Rising: A Skies of Fire and Lightning Story - A sky pirate is pressed into service to recover a stolen item from an old nemesis. By Drew Carmody
What will you find in Gears, Ghouls, and Gauges?
- The Mechanist's Daughter *- When a little girl and her malfunctioning automaton show up on her doorstep, an inventor must solve the mystery of its origin. By Tracie McBride
- The Lady Defiance *- A harpy is taken captive and finds unexpected allies among the crew of airship pirates who liberate her. By Mandy Burkhead
- An Evening on Harbor Ridge *- Three soldiers must navigate a no man’s land of steam-powered weapons and vampiric aristocrats to return home. By Mark Rivett
- In the Cavern of the Sleepers *- Asif's search for a cure for his narcolepsy leads him to a temple hidden in the Assam jungle where gods are stirring. By Ali Abbas
- Fractured Moonlight - A pilot confronts his deceased father's best friend in his pursuit of understanding the events of the past. By W. T. Paterson
- Basic Black * - With a dreaded illness hanging over their heads, an engineer must decide what she is willing to sacrifice to protect her family. By K.A. Fox
- The Grand Assault - A boy must step in to an unusual fencing match when the original challenger becomes embroiled in a conspiracy. By J. Woolston Carr
- The Steam Horses of Stem Park * - In a faraway future, sentient animals find inspiration in the Steampunk tales of the past. By Robert B. Read Jr.
- Jewels from the Deep, a Sussex Steampunk Tale * - A top London criminal visits the coast to assess local smugglers but more than potential profits are waiting for him beneath the waves. By Nils Nisse Visser
- The Bronze Bomber * - In the world of an alternative American Civil War, new inventions have shifted the tide and a Union agent seeks revenge. By Briant Laslo
- La Muerda * - A space western where a hard-bitten woman tries to learn the fate of her best friend on a planet known for debauchery and crime. By Mercury
- Divine **- A woman must ally herself with her murderous husband and a bigoted airship captain if she has any hope of discovering her true inheritance. By E. A. Catania
* = included in the audio book reward. Primary narration is by Phoebe Darqueling and Thomas Roggenbuck, with individual stories narrated by Ali Abbas, Michael Chandos, and TJ O'Hare.
** = reward to backers at all levels if we reach our stretch goal of $1600.
- $1600 - each author receives $5 added to their payment, and ALL backers receive a bonus audio story (approx 50 min), Divine by E.A. Catania and read by Phoebe Darqueling. FUNDED!
- $2000 - each author receives another $5 added to their payment, and ALL backers receive an ebook of Riftmaker: A Steampunk Portal Fantasy Novel by Phoebe Darqueling. (find out more) FUNDED!
- $3000 - each author receives another $5 added to their payment (that's a $15 total bonus for them!) and everyone already receiving a physical reward mailed to them gets a 4x3 "Choose to be Splendid" sticker. FUNDED!
PLUS, we have our fantastic add-on rewards. These can be added to any reward level by pledging the dollar amount above existing reward levels. So choose your reward level and add:
$3 - For a digital copy of a book added to any print reward tier. Pledge an extra $3 for one, or $6 for both volumes to a print book pledge.
$4 - For a "Choose to be Splendid" sticker added to any reward tier. (Includes shipping to US, UK, and EU countries) You may add on multiple stickers for each multiple of $4.
$6 - For signatures of editors Phoebe Darqueling and Crysta K. Coburn added to any print reward tier. Includes a personalized dedication to a person of your choice. $6 is for one or both books.
$10 - For an audio book of 15 of our tales across the two volumes to any reward tier. This reward will ONLY be offered through the campaign and will not be released in this form anywhere else. Titles listed above with a * beside them are included in the audio book.
$10 - For a United we Steampunk, Divided we Fall pin to any reward tier. 1.25'', metal and enamel - 10 remaining. Includes postage to US, Canada, UK, and EU countries
Risks and challenges
The books are already in their final formatting stage, so really all we need are your pledges so we can pay our wonderful authors and other contributors for their hard work. It is possible there could be an unforeseen delay from the printer or during shipping rewards.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)