I found my way to Steampunk in 2009, and I just keep finding more and more to love...
In case you don't know, Steampunk is an aesthetic that draws from Victorian futurism, classic science fiction and the endless imaginations of designers, builders, artisans, illustrators and authors all over the world. It has its roots in Victorian-era England, and today's London is rife with opportunities for Steampunk inspiration and exploration. (If you need more info on Steampunk (or steam punk, steam-punk) itself you can check out my About Steampunk page on my blog.)
Come with me on a journey to find London's steamiest spots!
And along the way you will get access to articles about the history and technology of the Victorian era to get your gears going, plus beautiful photos and reviews of attractions, fun facts and biographies about some of Steampunk's favorite figures like Charles Darwin and H. G. Wells, and more!
I am an American who will already be living abroad after a summer on an archaeological dig, and I am already planning to visit London after it wraps up to I am paying my own way there. With your help, I will be able to use that time to explore what Steampunk London has to offer for an entire month and send you tons of information that is relevant to Steampunk and the Victorian era that can help deepen your knowledge and connection to this amazing genre and iconic city.
Here are just a few of the places I would take you to...
The Victoria and Albert Museum
The Home of Charles Darwin
The Piccadilly Market for steamy antiques
The former site of the Crystal Palace (Great Exhibition)
Tea rooms and pubs with a Steampunk or Victorian themes
The Longitude Punk'd Exhibit at the Royal Observatory
The Cairo to Constantinople Exhibit at the Queen's Gallery
The Kew Bridge Steam Museum (Formerly the London Museum of Water and Steam, newly reopened)
and so much more!
What You Get
- In-depth articles on H.G. Wells, Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper, Charles Darwin, Around the World in 80 Days, Egypt in the Victorian Era and Victorian Ghost Stories. I call these kinds of articles "Sourcebooks" and I have already done some for the blog. Here are a couple you can check out: Captain Nemo, Hellboy, City of Ember
- Interviews with London-based authors like Bia Helvetti (new book launching in September!), Chris Wooding (Ketty Jay series) and more
- “My Day at the Piccadilly Market” and “My Weekend at the Asylum” feature pieces
- Exclusive reviews of Victorian-themed pubs and tea houses
- Exclusive Steampunk London Map
- Exclusive museum and exhibit reviews to help shape your own visits!
- And a chance to suggest content! If there is a site I just have to visit or a subject you just need to know more about I will do my best to add backer-driven content whenever possible. Got a band I should see? Or are you an artist with a steamy side? Are you hosting a cosplay event that you think I should attend? Let me know!
Plus I have lots of fun rewards to offer my backers!
You can check out the descriptions at the right for more details, but in short I have bumper stickers and original artwork to offer in addition to the final zine publication. I can't put photos of the art into the rewards descriptions so make sure to go to the end of this project description for pictures, or you can see them on my blog.
Here is a summary of the pledge levels, but remember that you can choose a reward tier and pledge MORE than that amount, just not less. (e.g. You can pledge $100 at the $15 reward level even if the shadowboxes have already been claimed).
$5 Pledge- "My Other Beep! Beep! is a Whoosh!" Bumper Sticker
$10 Pledge- "shout out" for any book, band, blog or other steampunk project or special message for a friend. 50 words or 25 words and a small image. Remember, this is an ezine so all links will be live and can help drive web traffic to your own steampunk shenanigans!
$15 Pledge- Steam Tour: An American Steampunk in London ezine + one "My Other Beep! Beep! is a Whoosh!" Bumper Sticker or a personal thank you postcard from somewhere I visit in London
$25 Pledge- Ezine + 50 word/25 word and a photo "shout out" or 3 "My Other Beep! Beep! is a Whoosh!" bumper stickers
$50 Pledge- Ezine + 10 "My Other Beep! Beep! is a Whoosh!" bumper stickers or there are two 8''x6'' shadow boxes available
$75 Pledge- Ezine + "My Other Beep! Beep! is a Whoosh!" bumper sticker + there are 8''x 8'' shadow boxes available
$100 Pledge- Ezine + "My Other Beep! Beep! is a Whoosh!" bumper stickers + there are 12''x 12'' shadow boxes available
So why do I think I can pull this off?
I started a Steampunk blog, www.forwhomthegearturns.com, in 2013, so I have already been thinking, researching and writing about Steampunk under my pseudonym, Phoebe Darqueling for awhile. Check it out if you want to know more about my style and the writing I have already done.
My background is in Art History, Anthropology (BA) and Museum Studies (MA), which gives me a strong foundation for writing about a cultural phenomenon with artistic expressions. I am also a great lover of science fiction, both classic and contemporary, and so I have a grasp of the literary side as well as the artistic side of this unique genre.
What You Pay For
I can get myself to London and I have already sold some of my art to pay for my room and board while I am there, so I am just looking for that last push to make the finished product into something really polished and worth reading.
- Admission Fees and Oyster Card- Going to museums and getting around the city is expensive, so I need your help to get me in to all of the museums and events that I am going to report on.
- Cover Art by Lost Bohemian- I want this publication to be both informative and eye-catching, so I have commissioned cover art by an artist friend. I used her draft of the cover art for the project photo.
- Text Editing and Layout- It is always good to have a second pair of eyes look over anything you write, and the layout needs to be handled by a pro because of all the images. My brother is an amazing photographer and designer and he will be handling the layout and photo editing. You can check out his work at www.dansheldonphotography.com
- “My Other Beep! Beep! is a Whoosh!” Bumper Stickers- I have designed a steampunk sticker and I want to offer it both to backers as well as being a gift for the people who help me along the way while I am in London.
- Fees for services- Kickstarter, Wordpress and Amazon Business
- Shipping Backer Rewards
ARTWORK that is still available...
Risks and challenges
The biggest obstacle to this project would be weather and/or travel issues. Inclement weather could keep me from getting good photos of everything I am hoping to shoot, as well as possibly getting in the way of traveling to London. The original project idea was only for 2 weeks, but I decided to extend it to a whole month in order to give myself enough leeway to go back and revisit places if the photos don't come out. I also have a bum ankle so I have to limit how much trekking about I do in a single day. But I have a brace and a cheerful disposition so it hasn't gotten in my way yet!
I will be living abroad while all of my collaborators are living in the US, but they are all friends and family members who are totally committed to the project and I know they won't let me down.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)