Darkmatter Xbox One Laptop Update
Here's a sneak peak into the latest on the Xbox One Laptop effort. Over the last month or so we've carried out a complete teardown of the Xbox One console and have worked on making it compatible with the Darkmatter laptop electronics.
The good news is that the new console is fully compatible with our Xduino360 control board and there are very few modifications that have to be made to the electronics to make the console portable. The bad news is the One has a much bigger fan/heatsink and the motherboard itself is larger which means a beefier cooling system and larger casing is needed. But that's not too bad since we can fit a larger HD screen (17") inside and spread out the electronics in order to make the laptop even slimmer (under 2"!). There's now even space inside for stuff like a battery pack and charging circuitry but more on that later ;)
The CAD design for the new unit is nearly ready and we'll be building a prototype very soon once some design considerations are finalized. We've sent out a survey to all Xbox One level backers asking them for design/feature suggestions. The CAD design will be finalized after we get a response and work on prototyping and production will begin immediately.
Preliminary features and specs for the Darkmatter Xbox One laptop :
- Kinect included with fully assembled Darkmatter Xbox One laptops.
- Matte black powder coated / Silver brushed look metal casing
- 17" widescreen 1920 x 1080 Full HD TFT-LCD display
- 2 Watt speakers
- Kit is much easier to put together than the Xbox 360 DM kit. No 3D printed parts require sanding and minimal soldering required.
- Just under 2" thick (Slimmer than the Xbox 360 Darkmatter laptop)
- Standard 500 GB HDD included
- All Xbox ports accessible at the rear. Headphone port added to the left.
- Slot mounted Blu ray drive on the right
- Controller, Headset and Power brick also included
- Three 17 CFM blower type fans for negative air pressure cooling
- Unit dimensions: 17.4" x 11.8" x 1.9" (L x B x H)
Next update: Xbox One Laptop Prototype!