In Wreck and Ruin,2-4 players take command of post-apocalyptic convoys of vehicles and use their various strengths and special skills to shoot, ram, and wreck their way to victory! Ransack the most salvage sites whilst destroying your enemies and stopping them from doing the same. Can you defeat your enemies, and survive the wasteland itself? Strap in, rev your engines, and prepare for a white knuckle ride to the end!
The game is very quick to set up and tear down, meaning you can spend all your time gaming - that is what you're here for, right? With player guides and a quick setup guide, the game can be played right out the box. The rules are relatively simple, but with enough depth to reveal many different strategies to win - you'll be ramming and wrecking your way across the wasteland in no time! The unique damage-recording flame pegs ensure that you always know your tactical situation, as well as the other players - no more peering over the table to look at tableaus or damage tracks. Fast, frantic, highly cinematic vehicular violence for those who want a skirmish game without the time, cost, and space required!
Everything you need to survive the apocalypse in one handy box! Support a fledgling designer and help shape this game and the wasteland world. I don't believe in KS exclusives, instead all unlocked content are backer freebies - they will be available after the campaign but non backers may have to shell out for them in the future. Want more than one? Simply adjust your pledge!
Want to pack even more bang for your buck into this wasteland package? You know what to do - share the campaign with your friends and we'll squeeze as much as we can into the box. Believe me when i say there's some pretty cool stuff planned!
The world as we know it no longer exists, long since buried beneath the sands of time as nature reclaims the land that was greedily taken from it by the human race. Our once sprawling cities have been destroyed, leaving no trace behind to indicate we were even there. All that remains is a barren and inhospitable wasteland that will readily claim those not strong enough to survive, known as the Wastes...
Despite all odds, mankind still ekes out a living from this harsh environment. Groups have banded together through shared ideals and lifestyles, forming a number of rival factions. Their prized possessions are relics of the bygone age - vehicles that they use as transport and as a means to defend themselves against the many dangers this world contains. They roam the wasteland, searching for lost technology that they can trade for much needed supplies - the best place to find these are in salvage sites: buildings that have been revealed by the shifting of the sands, ripe with technology that can be used to aid their fight for survival. Of course it is not uncommon for a number of factions to be scouring the same area, leading to some....disagreements, shall we say...
Choosing a faction gives you access to their unique faction abilities, but which suits your play style?
The Salvoes, short for Salvagers, are people who eke out an existence from the barren wasteland. A tough existence has taught them how to survive the harshest conditions and outlast their enemies. Their abilities help them to stay in the fight longer and gather more resources to outplay their enemies.
Reapers live only to sow death and destruction. They are violent and aggressive, and follow only the most powerful warriors. Their vehicles are adorned with the trophies of the their previous kills, a testament to their fighting prowess. Their abilities favour aggressive players, from hijacking vehicles to striking fear into the enemy ranks.
Ruin is the only city that is known to exist - the army is tasked with protecting its inhabitants from threats and collecting valuable supplies to keep its people fed and its technology working. Ruin was built around an old military installation so they have access to the most advanced technology to perform their duties. Their abilities use tactical training and experimental tech they can call upon to aid their cause.
Choosing to lead a simpler existence following mankind's fall from grace, the Desertkin thrive in the wasteland. They have formed a symbiotic bond with some of its inhabitants, hulking creatures which have evolved to survive their habitat. Their abilities allow them to use the wasteland and its creatures against the enemy.
These miniatures are made of plastic and are designed at 15mm scale to fit within the 30mm hexes - scouts are the smallest at 26mm, leading up to the hulking big rig at over 60mm long! They are supplied unpainted, but I can't wait to see your own paintjobs.
Vehicles have a number of stats which show how far they can move, how many dice they roll when attacking, and how difficult they are to damage. Which vehicle will you use to execute your plan?
Each vehicle has its owns strengths and special skills, but with only limited resources, not every vehicle can be used every turn. Will you use your agile scouts to speed across the wasteland seizing objectives? Or will you move up your big rig to soak up enemy fire and dispense wasteland justice to those who dare come in range? Each turn you will have to decide how to split your precious actions between occupying empty sites and wrecking your enemies to prevent them from scoring.
Fighting in the wasteland has never been so easy:
- Create a map using the board tiles, with a setup area for each player. 4 salvage site tokens are placed on the central tile. Each player selects a faction, sets their vehicles up within their setup area, and draws one of their 4 faction powers at random.
- Played over 4-6 rounds depending on time and number of players, the object of the game is to clear out more salvage sites than your opponents.
- Players have 5 action points per turn which they can use to activate their vehicles: move a vehicle onto a site to occupy it. Attack enemies at range. Ramming a vehicle can cause major damage - the bigger the size difference the more damage is inflicted! Ramming also has the advantage of being able to push enemies back, meaning you can push an enemy off a site and occupy it yourself at the same time!
- Occupied tokens are flipped to their green side at the start of the next player's turn, and if it remains green at the end of the turn it is removed and awarded to the occupying player, which counts as a victory point. New tokens are then placed elsewhere on the map so there are always 4 to play for.
- Damage is recorded by inserting an orange peg into the target. It will run as normal until the last peg is inserted - a black peg which shows it is wrecked! It will then crash and burn: it loses control and the flaming wreck can crash into other vehicles causing a chain reaction of destruction!
- An event is drawn at the beginning of each round - it will affect each player in turn and poses different challenges: drawing slippery surface means opponents can turn vehicles to face another direction, or having engine trouble makes it difficult for a target vehicle to complete actions.
- Salvage cards are gained by collecting salvage sites - these cards are all unique and allow you to bend or break a rule in the game. Did I mention they were free to use? Play to boost your own vehicles, or on an opponent's turn to mess their plans up.
- Your faction card is the most powerful card you will have - it can only be used once so you must decide the right time: The Ruin Army can summon an unmanned drone to fight for them whereas the Reapers can try and hijack an enemy vehicle - having the right card at the right time can turn the tide of battle in your favour.
Your strategy will evolve as the game progresses - use all the weapons and vehicles at your disposal to clear more salvage sites than the other players, and wreck anyone who dares stand in your way!
Want to know more? Download the rulebook here.
The game has been to many conventions around the UK now, and I've been non-stop at every one! But don't just take my word for it, I've sent prototypes to reviewers and podcasters in the UK and the States to give their honest feedback: we need them to ensure we make the best games we possibly can. All their articles are available from their own sites or on the Wreck and Ruin game facebook or BGG pages if you want to read their thoughts. And remember to give them a like and/or subscribe!
I'm a big believer in the platform, giving little people with big ideas the chance to make something that they love, for the people they love doing it with! It gives me the chance to share something with you that would never exist otherwise. I love being a part of the community, and this game is about community - I want to build something that we all can enjoy and expand upon. 2 years in the making: of playtesting, attending conventions, building up a following, interacting with all you lovely people that make this hobby so great.
I plan to continue supporting this game by creating new scenarios, map layouts, new board tiles, but I also can't wait to see what you come up with too! The wasteland no longer just belongs to me - you are now a wasteland warrior.
As a superbacker, we all get annoyed at the same things we see happening on campaigns - this game will not be sold anywhere else until my backers have games in their eager hands! Enough chit chat - let's load up, move out and show our enemies what it means to cross us!
Risks and challenges
This is my first project as a creator, although I have backed quite a few so I know how it works. I've invested my own money to have all the artwork and sculpts produced, so all that's left now is the manufacturing costs. I have prices from manufacturers and fulfillment companies to ensure I am prepared to deliver. I plan to deliver earlier than stated on here, but have allowed some extra time to account for any delays which may come up.
Minor adjustments may have to be made to the sculpts or artwork to ensure I deliver a top quality product.
Kickstarter is a journey that we take on together, so I'm always here to talk to. Nobody likes to be kept in the dark, so no matter what I will always be honest and open with how things are going. So let's do this thing!
- (30 days)