Lots and Lots of Cards: Post-Kickstarter week 4
Residents of Gloomhaven!
Well, it has been a whole month since the end of the project. How are you all doing? I hope you are holding up well despite the Gloomhaven withdraw.
This last week has been super-busy over here, so let's get into it.
I feel like like I got a lot of content finished last week, but I'm still sort of in the middle of everything, so it's hard to show you finished products.
I have completed the large majority of the monster ability cards added through stretch goals. Remember that a 7th and 8th card got added to each deck, so the past couple days were dedicated to getting those done. There's still a few more monsters to do, but you can at least see the decks featured in the demo scenarios on Tabletop Zen.
I had a lot of fun with these, taking the opportunity to create interesting new abilities rather than just duplicating previous abilities. This should give the monsters a lot more variability and make them more fun to fight. I also got the reshuffle symbol on all the pertinent cards, so you can experience that mechanic on Tabletop Zen as well, instead of just running through all the cards in a deck.
I also spent a lot of time developing more character classes - assigning perks and creating ability cards. Like I said, I'm sort of in the middle of this, but by next week I'm confident I'll have all the classes with their abilities and perks fully flesh out to at least level 5.
Then I can start up play testing again! Stay tuned for next week if you're interested in that.
I just want to say that I am really excited about some of the advanced character classes. I'll refrain from spoiling anything here, but I love all their crazy abilities, and I really feel like they'll offer lots of entirely new ways to play the game.
Oh, and one other thing that is happening with content: I'm going to be joining a National Novel Writing Month group during November. For those who don't know, National Novel Writing Month encourages authors to write an entire 50,000 word novel during the month of November.
Now, of course, I'm not actually writing a novel, but I've got story text for 80+ scenarios to write (minus the ones I've written), which could very easily total more than 50,000 words. So I'm going to use some group motivation to get as much of that as possible done next month to give plenty of time for editing.
If the group is okay with me not exactly writing a novel, I guess...
Not only has Josh been keeping up with me churning out all the templates and perk graphics for all the classes, he's also tackled the monster envelopes - another major stretch goal.
What do you all think? I think they look pretty great! You've got the stats of the appropriate level displayed and areas to track six monsters' health and condition.
Six spots should be good for most monsters, but some monster types are a little more prolific, though, and have up to ten standees, so each game will come with four of these 6-space envelopes and one 10-space envelope.
There's less area in each space here, but more prolific monsters are typically easier to kill, so less tracking will be necessary.
Oh, also I wanted to let you know that I talked to my manufacturer about doing clear stickers for the locations on the map so they are easier to match up with the background. He's getting a quote for it, and if it's not too much more expensive, we'll get that done.
Alexandr sent me the rest of the starting items (and is now working on more), but since these are the last item images I'll be able to show you without spoilers, I've decided to just show them to you one at a time. So here is a mean-looking war hammer!
There is one serious art matter that needs to be discussed, though. Josh informed me soon after the Kickstarter ended that he wouldn't have enough time to do map tile art like we had planned. I didn't think it was that big of a problem and went about looking for a new artist who could fill in.
Unfortunately, it's taken a significantly longer amount of time to find a replacement artist than I had anticipated, and, given the large amount of map tile art that needs to be done, we may be looking at a small delay in the production schedule.
We should definitely have the artist issue resolved in the next day or so, and next week I'll have a better idea at what sort of delay we're looking at, but I wanted to let you know about the issue now, as soon as I realized it might be a problem.
All the advanced character sculpts are still at the master mold maker, but James has just sent me the armatures for the Mindthief and Cragheart.
Sure, they may not look like much now, but very soon they will be covered in plastic and putty and look awesome.
I'm really happy that the sculpting process for all the miniatures is nearly complete. The production of the miniatures is what will take the longest at the factory level, so the sooner we can get all the masters to the factory so that they can start making the plastic molds, the less we'll have to worry about later, which is great!
All right, well, I guess that's it. One of my favorite video games, The Binding of Isaac, just released some new DLC today and I am super-excited about it, but I've really gotta get some emails answered and get more work done finishing all monster ability cards before I sit down with it. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist...
Anyway, have a happy Halloween and I'll see you next week!