INSPIRATION FOR THE BOOK
Behind The Magic Door was inspired by the magic of sharing adventure, imagination and discovery; helping children to learn as they play, and connect with storytelling in a totally unique way.
We wanted to create a story that’s personalised for each child and supports them as they learn to read. So we set to work making beautiful books that take children on an adventure to discover the letters of their name, with each letter defining their very own story. But this is about more than learning to read. We want to help children to grow up to be the best they can, to be smart, confident and kind. We took the opportunity to make the adventure a journey of self discovery by sharing positive traits such as honesty, bravery, kindness and helpfulness in a child friendly manner to help demonstrate linkages between success and doing the right thing.
And that’s not just something we say. It’s something we live by. That’s why our books are written by young writers with big dreams, which we can help make happen. The writer of our first book is just 15 years old.
In this first book, each child will explore Behind the Magic Door with a helping hand from Teddy, meeting colourful characters including The Shadow King and a rather fabulous Peacock, with important lessons to be learnt with every turn of the page.
I was lucky that my 15 year old daughter is a dedicated, ambitious and passionate writer and, with her help, we have assembled a committed team to create a very special book. We think we've raised the benchmark for personalised books for everyone - which will mean thousands of children will enjoy so many more magical bedtime stories, including my son Luke pictured with mum at the bottom of the page.
THE KEY FEATURES THAT MAKE IT THE BEST IN THE WORLDWe truly believe we have created the best personalised children’s book in the world. And we say that because we have carried out a huge amount of market and customer research. This approach has guided us when it came to building in lots of subtle and unique features to the personalisation of each story (see below) that we believe helps us stand out with something original and a book that really is on different level.
So why is it so good for you to help Kickstart this project?
- Limited edition book – you will receive a numbered first edition copy with a special front cover using embossed illustrations and foil writing and images to give a very “special feel” to the book
- Heavily discounted – The book is a premium product and will retail at £18.99. The Hero 1 Reward is priced to give a 32% discount - EXCLUSIVELY for our KickStarter friends
- Free P&P – how often have you got to the check out to find another £3 - £4 P&P that makes your bargain – well – less of a bargain? We don’t like that and prefer transparency. There are no extras. P&P is included. The price you see is the price you pay!
- Ideal Gift - Festive celebrations looming with the book making for a near perfect gift.
- Free Colouring Book - The book includes all of the letter characters in PDF format for home printing – let the creativity begin!
- Free bedtime reading guide – one of our favourites – this guide will help inspire you to make bedtime stories such very special fun for both parent and child. As well as some great general advice, the guide is tailored to the book, for example promoting interaction through a standard repeated paragraph and other useful tips for learning through play.
- Free ‘secret code’ - within each book that enables the child to access a bonus content area via our web site
- Personalisation on a different level – allowing the child star of the book to not only see their name in the story but structuring the whole adventure around them recovering the specific letters that make up their name.
- Amazing Illustrations – we are so proud of what Adam has achieved with some great examples included for KickStarter!
- Magical Story – Nicole, our 15 year old author has skilfully applied legendary story telling techniques in a super child friendly manner. The result is perfect balance of a great adventure with a book you can learn something from (We are so proud of her!)
- Educational – The adventure is a journey of self discovery introducing children to examples of bravery, kindness, helpfulness and honesty (and more) in a manner that shows doing the right thing helps the hero to succeed on their adventure
- Skin tone options - Pick your hero options to better reflect our ethnic diversity. This book needs to be for everyone!
- Dedication – The ability to insert a personalised dedication for the recipient to make it a perfect keepsake
- High quality product – using the very latest digital print technology and luxurious 200GSM paper
- Did we mention? - A personalised story book is the perfect Christmas gift if you have a special 0 – 8 year old in your life.
- Parents that love to share the joy of magical bedtime stories with their children
- As a treasured keepsake / perfect gift for a 0 – 2
- As a great bedtime story likely to have the greatest appeal for age 2 - 8
Example of the dedication page made out to 'Sophie' with each customer having the opportunity to add their very own message:
HOW IT WORKS
The example below if for a child called SOPHIE. On her magical letter adventure Sophie meets a:
Each child will have their own bespoke adventure tailored to their name. For a full list of characters see the link below for a full colour PDF ***
Where a child has a repeated letter in their name we have created secondary characters for the most popular repeated letters with a few generic characters that can be used for those less frequent letter repetitions. Essentially this means that ALL names will get an amazing adventure!
Below we've added a whole story - we want our backers to be able to see the amazing story and off the scale illustrations that can be purchased for the special little adventurers in your lives. This particular story was created for a special little girl called "Sophie".
Who will your child meet on their adventure ?
See the attached PDF for a full list and image of all of the amazing characters.
NOTE the images below are all 'low res' to make them Kickstarter site friendly.
NOTE the images and text may be subject to small amends if we spot any opportunities to make it better before going to print!
You can also view 'Sophie's' book as an e-flip book by selecting the link below:
The first version of the book will be a limited edition print run. We’ve made sure that our early backers are rewarded with a VERY special book. The front cover has embossed characters and foil lettering to really make it stand out. A genuine keepsake.
We have very deliberately priced the rewards to ensure that they present amazing value.... and for good reason. We understand that it is our backers that will make this project a success (that's all of you) - but not just through making a purchase. The keen pricing is the 'tempter' but what we'd really like to ask in return is that our backers help us to spread the word. We are so proud and have so much conviction in our book - BUT - we need everyone to help us. Please use the Facebook "share" and "like", Twitter, word of mouth, carrier pigeon and anything else. We are a brand new team so don't have many friends yet. Help us to make Behind the Magic Door famous and know that in doing so you personally have helped spread joy, gift smiles and create magical memories for children everywhere (hence "Hero" rewards for hero achievements!).
BEING THE BEST
There are lots and lots of individual things we have done to make sure that the book is of the very highest quality (Its for the most precious people in your lives after all!). Too many to list here, however for those with a passing interest see the attached PDF for some highlights.
WHAT THE MONEY IS FOR
Creating a book of this quality required a significant investment. We know that we were very lucky to have had ALL that funding in place to make this book a reality. Our KickStarter campaign provides an opportunity for early backers to benefit from a heavily discounted copy of the book with the money raised being used to:
- Pay for the creation of the embossing / imprint set up and the special dyes needed to create the foil imagery on the front page (the Limited Edition)
- Pay for the production and dispatch of the books
- Pay the KickStarter fees
Any stretch funding will be used for:
- Well – all of the above as they are mainly standard production costs
- Additionally we are committed to taking the book international so that children all around the world can enjoy our book. Any spare funds will be used to help make that happen!
UPDATED - We originally expected to print and dispatch the Kickstarter orders on the 7th December. We need to allow a little extra time for customers to share their personalisation details and expect to receive these by Thursday 10th December. Please see the FAQ below (marked important) for the detailed timings and most importantly PLEASE look out for your Kickstarter personalisation form (Kickstarter issue at the end of the campaign to collect your personalisation details) and return it ASAP. It will be issued via e-mail on the evening of Thursday 3rd December.
For orders where the personalisation details are received after the 10th of December we will only be able to issue our standard (but still utterly amazing) book. These orders can still be processed right through to the 20th December to arrive for Christmas day but clearly we'd prefer to get your books to you sooner to avoid the risk of Royal Mail failing to meet their published delivery times. We really don't want any children to miss out so please supply the details early.
For any overseas orders please see our FAQ as delivery times will be longer at Christmas.
Note – the PDF colouring book may take an additional week to arrive after the book and reading guide arrive.
We have a few more of these on the way (updates over the next week...) - as we are keen to receive and share views of other professionals and what they think of Behind the Magic Door (please feel free to leave comments on our FB page):
- Louise Jordan, Managing Editor of Writers Advice: "We love seeing stories being told using different formats. This new personalised concept makes for both a great keepsake and a great story for children. Even better we think that the parents will love it too! http://www.writersadvice.co.uk
- John Cregg, Head Teacher at Priestnall Secondary School: “As an educational professional, I am only too aware of the importance of developing a love of reading within every child. ‘Behind the Magic Door’ is an outstanding example of its genre, and would surely captivate any young reader. The story is fun and engaging, and told in sharply written verse; combined with the beautiful and engaging illustrations and the personalised central theme, the overall outcome is extremely successful.”
We sincerely hope that you will join our adventure. This is a genuine opportunity to be part of something that we think is going to be big! Most importantly, please, please, please help us spread the word. We know that the success of our project is in the hands of our backers!
Risks and challenges
Risks - At this stage in the project there really are very few risks in respect of getting the book finalised for printing. Adam (our amazing illustrator) is two thirds of the way through and well on track, the book is completely written and reviewed; our Printer has already produced test books so is ready to go. Baring the unforeseeable the books will be rolling out of the print press by the end of November.
Challenges - The biggest challenge is getting the word out – we need lots and lots of help from our friends and backers. We hope our commitment to make the book the very best will help inspire you all to be real life super heroes and help us spread the word, on Facebook, Twitter and anywhere else you are social! Telling your family, buddies and work colleagues is what will make the difference. And we thank you for helping make this dream a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)