I get questions every year around this time about a Christmas album, and my answer is always, "I will do a Christmas album eventually!" Well, Kickstarter has provided an opportunity to make that eventual project a reality. I would prefer not to just do a regular album, considering what make Christmas fun is sharing it with friends and family, so what I'd like to do is pick a few of my favorite Christmas songs, (and let ya'll pick a few of your favorites too!) and invite some of my friends in the studio to help me make a fun, but really high quality Christmas album! I'll have it ready for ya to listen to in your favorite ugly sweater, (or give as a Christmas present!) by Christmas of 2014!
I was overwhelmed with the support for my first kickstarter project. I was shocked that you guys exceeded my goal by over 300%, and that allowed me to do some things with my last album I've never done before. Namely, buy some recording equipment and record a good portion of that music at my home. Because of that awesome support, the cost for this album will be significantly less than that one! I may have to pay some fees to cover the Christmas songs, and I'll definitely have to pay some musicians, get a little studio time, and pay an engineer, do some artwork, and print the CDs up, but because I can do some of this at home now I think I can do that for a lot less than last time. So I'm only trying to raise about half of what I went for on my last one. I did try to offer some great rewards though, so I hope you see something you like!
I'm excited to get back in the studio for you guys!
All my best,
Risks and challenges
In addition to confirming my suspicions that my fans were awesome, I learned some other valuable lessons on my first kickstarter project. I'll be making some changes to the process to ensure I don't run into any of the same problems we encountered on the last one,
1. As you will notice, the handwritten rewards have been reduced quite a bit, (sorry, no hand written lyrics on this one!)
2. Expect the unexpected. (no we're not expecting!)
3. I'm making the updates monthly at least, so it keeps me on track!
4. I won't ask for delivery info until the rewards are ready to go out, so I don't have the delivery problems we had on the last one!
5. One of the most difficult aspects of this project will be the scheduling around everyone's busy schedule, so as soon as the project closes I'll be getting a schedule together, (which I'll send to you guys so you can keep me on track! ;)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)