About this project
I’m Begonia Colomar, the director and writer of “Reason.” Thank you for visiting my Kickstarter page. For me, creating a new film is always a magical experience. Please watch my video and read below to learn more about my work, my film and how you can be part of this magic!
“Reason” is a short, narrative film that explores the human search for connection, understanding and reason for being. The story takes place on a solitary beach where we encounter a group of people at various stages of this search.
The main characters in the film are all in transition, going through diverse ‘rites of passage’ in their struggle to find their way. The only person we find on the threshold of true understanding is a young boy, who both inspires admiration and evokes fear among the group.
“Reason” is an expression of my belief that the way for humans to discover true connection, understanding and reason for being is not through our thoughts, but rather by embracing our animal selves.
As with my prior films, I have chosen to include non-actors in this film--some of whom I have worked with in the past--as I find that non-actors have the power of authenticity that my characters demand.
This is “Reason.”
The key crew members working with me on "Reason" are true artists, dedicate to making meaningful films out of passion. They are all highly experienced professionals in their areas, with amazing accomplishments and bodies of work. I'm delighted to be working with all of them!
- Marina Fernández Ferri, producer Marina has over eight years of producing experience that spans documentaries, news shows, live programming and commercials. Her credits include "D-Sign," an award-winning documentary series that grew from a regional program in Spain to a series broadcast throughout Europe. She currently produces projects targeting the U.S. Hispanic market and is a member of the Brooklyn Filmmakers Collective. Marina recently directed her first short film titled “Temblor.” She studied audiovisual communications at Valencia University (Spain) and at DAMS Cinema (Bologna, Italy). Marina produced my short film “Leal” and is also producing my upcoming feature film “Luz.”
- Bernadine Santistevan, executive producer Bernadine has written, directed and produced two feature films--“The Cry” and “Wolf Dog”—and an award-winning animated short film called “Wolf Dog Tales.” Before becoming a filmmaker, Bernadine worked in venture capital and private equity in New York City. She has an MBA in finance from the Wharton School of Business and an MS in engineering from Stanford University. I worked with Bernadine on her animated film which premiered at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival and her latest feature film to be released in early 2013.
- Matt Schroeder, director of photography Matt is an award-winning cinematographer and director whose work includes music videos, commercials, documentaries, independent films, video art, webisodes and corporate films. His music videos for the Polish musician Bajzel garnered him awards for “Best Director," as well as a prestigious "Grand Prix.” His client list includes Jet Blue, Orbit, USA Networks, Sony, HP, Pepsi, Google and AT&T, as well as numerous bands. Matt was the cinematographer on my short films “Leal” and “Habit,” and is also shooting my feature film, “Luz.”
- Rich Bologna, sound editor/designer/mixer & composer Rich has worked on numerous award-winning films that have screened in top festivals around the world such as Sundance, Slam Dance and Toronto. His credits include “Inside Job,” “Compliance,” "Sleepwalk with Me",“Page One,” and the video games “James Bond 007: From Russia with Love,” "Tiger Woods:PGA" and "The Simpsons".Rich worked with me on my films "Elsie," "Dendral," "Oda," "Habit" and “Leal.”
- Jeremy Levine, assistant camera Jeremy is an Emmy-winning, Oscar- nominated filmmaker. His work has been screened in dozens of film festivals around the world, broadcast internationally and honored with numerous awards in production, reporting and human rights. His credits include the documentaries “Good Fortune,” “Walking the Line,” “Everything’s Cool” and “House of Rath.” Jeremy is the co-founder of the Brooklyn Filmmakers Collective and of Transient Pictures, a production company producing original content for broadcasters and arts organizations such as the Sundance Channel. He has a degree in documentary film production from the Park School of Communications at Ithaca College.
- Jaime Dávila, assistant director Jaime is a filmmaker, storyteller and writer whose experience spans film, journalism and advertising. He has worked with companies such as El Periódico, DDB , Dieste and TVP, and his film experience includes working with the esteemed Spanish director Juanma Bajo Ulloa, as well as producing a short film called “Frilly Things” and a feature documentary called “Babalu, La Vida Cantada.” He studied filmmaking in the U.S. and economics in Madrid. Jaime and I have worked together on numerous writing projects. He also worked on the production crew of my film “Leal.”
I am seeking to raise $10,000 or more to shoot "Reason" in late August. Production will include one on-site prep day and two shoot days at Sandy Hook, New Jersey, which means I will need to transport the cast and crew from New York City and lodge them in New Jersey for a minimum of one night.
A total of 18 persons are in my cast and crew, and most of them are donating their valuable time and expertise towards the making of my film, which lowers my cash budget significantly.
The funds I raise on Kickstarter will go towards the following:
- Cast & Crew Fees (non-donated): $1,250
- Location Fees: $750
- On-set Production Costs: $1,350
- Transport: $1,250
- Lodging: $1,575
- Meals: $1,950
- Kickstarter Fees & Gifts: $1,875
All of the rewards that we've dreamed up are an effort to make you a special part of this film and to bring you closer to my body of work. Some of the most intimate rewards are at the $1,000 and above level, which include a limited edition print of my analogue photography series. I hope you will enjoy, and here are a few examples:
HOW KICKSTARTER WORKS
Kickstarter is easy! All you have to do is sign up for a free account, select any amount you would like to donate, and we will send you your reward. If you’d prefer not to claim a reward, you are welcome to just donate.
The amount of your donation is not publically displayed, and we will only receive your gift if we reach our total goal of $10,000. So please spread the word!
At any time during this campaign you can come back to this page and share more love with an additional donation. :) Just click the blue “Manage Your Donation” button to enter a new amount and select a new reward.
I thank you with all my heart for your kind support in making my film a reality!
KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN CREDITS
- Text Editor, Bernadine Santistevan
- Interview Video , Flora Hanitijo
- Scout Video / Editing, Begonia Colomar
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $15 or more
A big virtual hug! And a personal thank you email from Begonia, the film’s director.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
Two virtual hugs! And you receive exclusive, "insider" behind-the-scenes digital photos of the film shoot!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
More hugs and smiles!!! Along with exclusive, behind-the-scenes digital photos, you receive a special edition, signed DVD of the film once it has officially been released.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
For your awesome support you receive your name immortalized in the "Thank You" credits of the film, along with exclusive, behind-the-scenes digital photos and a special edition, signed DVD of the film once it has officially been released.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or more
Eternal gratitude! You not only receive a “Thank You” credit in the film, behind-the-scenes digital photos of the shoot and a special edition DVD of the film once it has officially been released, BUT ALSO a mini-poster of the film signed personally just for you!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
Cheers to you! You receive a “Special Thanks” in the credits of the film, along with a special edition DVD of the film once it has officially been released, behind-the-scenes digital photos of the shoot, a signed mini-poster PLUS a limited edition piece of THE ANALOGUE SERIES POLAROID created by Begonia (unmounted).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or more
1 backer Limited (9 left of 10)
You are a hero! You receive a “Special Thanks” in the credits, a special edition DVD of the film once it has officially been released, behind-the-scenes digital photos, PLUS a limited edition piece of THE ANALOGUE SERIES POLAROID created by Begonia (costumed framed) !Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or more
1 backer Limited (5 left of 6)
Celebrate with us at our exclusive cast and crew wrap party! You are now a member of our producing team and receive an “Associate Producer” credit, along with a special edition copy of the film once it has been officially release, a limited edition piece of THE ANALOGUE SERIES HOLGA created by Begonia (50 cm x 50 cm, unmounted), exclusive behind-the-scenes digital photos, PLUS an invitation for two (2) to our first screening. (Travel not included for this award.)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or more
0 backers Limited (4 left of 4)
Wow!!! You are a superstar member of our producing team and receive an "Executive Producer" credit! Come celebrate with us at our exclusive cast and crew wrap party!!! You also receive a copy of the film once it has been officially released, a limited edition piece of THE ANALOGUE SERIES LCA by Begonia (90 cm x 60 cm, unmounted), behind-the-scenes digital photos, an invitation for four (4) to our first screening AND A VERY UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY to sit in the editing/VFX studio with Begonia for one (1) hour of post-production and see how she creates magic! (Travel not included for this award.)Estimated delivery:
- (23 days)