Ok so sending out backer surveys tomorrow to collect some info. Going to send out all of them from the Mystic Bear Tier and up for now and shall do the other tiers before the game comes out since then is when I'll need info from them. Really wanted to get someone else to do this but man I am not good at trying to get help. Still trying to figure out how go about but LETS JUST HOPE THIS GOES WELL
IMPORTANT: For the Name on Site and Backer Credits name submissions you can use two different names if you want. For the Name on Site submission you can have anything as long as it's not more than 20ish characters BUT for the Backer Credits you must use an actual name, it can still be a made up name like “Dr. Butts” if you want just as long as it's a name and not a nickname like xXNo_SCoPe_BLAAZEITXx. Get what I'm saying here?
Looking back at the previous Kickstarter Island screens, they kind of look lame so here's an updated look with fancy lighting:
Questions and Problems:
- I THINK I figured out a way to send out digital rewards I was iffy about. We shall see if it works out.
- To that note I think I figured out the freezing/crashing problem. Now believe it has something to do with the grass which I totally didn't even consider. Tests still need to be made.
- For the animal eating thing it was suggested leaving bones or something behind but that seems kind of morbid and this is sort of a lighthearted game ya know? Was thinking about just changing the text to “Ate some of the [Animal]” to the larger animals?
- For the fish, ehhhhh, I can get them to move around dynamically (eg: they move out of the way when you get near them) but the problem is it makes the game incredibly choppy. The other animals are fine, it's just the fish. Could just take the “dynamics” out of them just have them swim in circles but I don't know about that.
- Also for the Steam Greenlight page I wrote it similar to this KS page where it's got that hint of stupidity and sarcasm throughout. Was thinking about writing it “Professionally” but don't think that adds to the theme of what a bear game should be about. I assume people liked the writing style on this KS page?
- Going to start doing "Screenshots and Features of the Day" when I have finally have the game up and I have a few other promotional things planned which should be fun BUT I was wondering if anyone even liked these posts on my blog? I like making them but it was saddening because I don't think many people were reading them ༼ ͡◕ д ◕͡ ༽
- And lastly I wanted to make game making tutorials and stuff but apparently I program things weird and confusingly so I wouldn't want to misguide potential learnees with my strange way of doing things?
Don't think many know this but when I first made this KS I had a simple bear game already set up which just needed models and touch ups. The regions were fairly simple and had a few animals with things to do each but since the idea got kind of hyped up, e.g. the trailer getting thousands of views which got people expecting more. So with the new amount of funding I ditched my old version and am trying to make a sweet bear game using all the suggestions/enhancements received while trying to live up to any hype but the main problem I'm having is the messages and reactions. It was fun at first to read and reply to all the stupid and sarcastic messages about polars bears and such but it eventually evolved into people expecting way too much then becoming angry when I reply saying I can't do that.
I know there are lots of decent comments being missed but it seems like the ratio of negative messages to fun messages is like 10 to 1. This sounds awful but I became a lot more productive when avoiding reading things about this game. Tried to fix this by getting the help of a couple people to answer messages/do social media by just using their best judgment but that didn't work out so well. Again I think this will all work out once people can play the game but I really want it to be well received so I can make expansions and updates to it in the future since this has been the most fun making a game I've ever had if not for everything else.
tl;dr: Just wanted to have fun making a stupid bear game but some are taking it too seriously making it not so fun.
Anywho, that's it for this announcement/update, the next one should def be about the Steam Greenlight page, the game site and sending out the preview game/beta test to people.
But first here's another sneak peak of the bear book, put more effort than I thought I was going too so I'm proud of it ok: