My new album, Superhero, has gotten me thinking about ways that everyday people are Superheroes. There are lots of opportunities for small acts of kindness to create a Super impact in the world, and I want to create something that brings people together through those acts.
I've had the pleasure of meeting so many wonderful kids in my 20+ years of being a children's musician, and time and again I meet kids who face big challenges, from illnesses to disabilities to developmental delays. These kids inspire me so much in their bravery, strength, and their passion to be the best they can be. I've also gotten to see the unique way that my music plays a role in many children's lives: it can be a motivator, a comfort, a means of communication, or simply a break from a difficult day. I receive requests from people all over the country to come play my concerts at their hospitals and special needs schools and to meet the kids who have been touched by my music.
That's why I've decided to produce 5 concerts for children in hospitals or special needs schools in 2017.
Normally, when we put on a concert, ticket sales cover the costs to produce the show. For these shows, where of course we aren’t selling tickets, we’re asking for YOUR help to underwrite the expenses for these fully-produced concerts. I will be donating my performances, and your pledges will go to producing the shows and this campaign.
- Sound and stage equipment - we will rent and transport sound equipment that we do not own (microphones, sound board, speakers, cabling, backup guitar for concerts where we fly, etc) as necessary. We've had a generous offer from a wonderful supporter of our previous Kickstarter campaign, John Babina from 203 Brands, to donate a sound system that we will be able to travel with for the local shows, so we just need to supplement.
- Travel expenses: transportation (coach plane/train/bus tickets), van rentals, equipment/set/props shipping, hotels, and meals for the crew.
- Insurance (required by law)
- A sound person to set up, coordinate, mix, and monitor the show in order to make sure it's just right for young ears.
- A Tour Manager to set up and book all travel, ship the set and equipment, arrange/book the rental equipment, coordinate the set-up/break down, work with the schools and hospitals to be sure everything is safe and comfortable for the kids, and make sure things run smoothly at the shows.
- Administrative help to coordinate directly with the hospitals and special need schools. This is to plan the visit and to be sure we are prepared for any specific needs of the facility, or the kids for whom I'll be performing.
ALL funds earned in this campaign will go directly to these concerts and to cover the costs of running this campaign (no profit is being made by the campaign either by Laurie or Two Tomatoes Records). We will be carefully tracking all expenses, and if any additional funds remain, they will go to either adding more concerts in 2018 or to making the 5 concerts in 2017 extra special.
We will release a breakdown of all costs to our backers once the shows have been played and expenses have been tallied so you can see how your funds were allocated.
For $35,000 we can:
- Produce 3 high-quality concerts within 100 miles of NYC. (34% of funding)
- Produce 2 high-quality concerts anywhere within the U.S. (which require additional travel costs). (30% of funding)
- Cover the manufacturing costs our rewards (plus shipping) (20% of funding)
- Cover Kickstarter and Amazon's fees. (9% of funding)
- Cover the administrative costs of running this campaign (7% of funding)
I'd like to invite you to be a Superhero by becoming a backer and helping bring music to thousands of wonderful children!
An Extra Special Bonus:
Each time we hit $1000 in funding (which will all go directly to funding these concerts!), we will donate an entire box of my new Superhero albums to a special needs school or hospital! This way, even though I can only physically go to five hospitals or special needs schools next year, with your help I'll be able to send my music to even more children who need it most.
We'll take suggestions for where to send the boxes here and on our Facebook page - we'll add your suggestions to a hat and pull a new one every time we hit an additional $1000 in funding!
These wall decals were generously donated by John Babina at 203 Brands, along with a portable sound system for the local shows:
Watch The "Superhero" Music Video
Risks and challenges
One of the challenges of this project will be making sure we have the proper equipment to support concerts in places that may not have much experience with hosting this type of event. Since we will be traveling to schools, hospitals, and other potentially non-concert venues, we will need to be sure we can support quality sound and accommodate everyone comfortably and safely. The venues will also likely be different sizes, so we will need to be sure we have the proper equipment and support - all within our tight budget!
We also realize that kids in hospitals or with other special needs may sometimes have different needs during the concert that we will want to accommodate in order to make the experience fun, safe, and comfortable.
Luckily, we have a great team of out-of-the-box thinkers who are ready to work with the venues to accommodate the needs of the venues, the kids, and the event itself.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)