Build, fight, survive in a post apocalyptic city. Procedural weapons, Randomly generated counties to explore, and dynamic story system.
You wake up, you don't remember who you are. You look around, the city is in shambles. You vaguely remember the news reports from when it all went down. Something about nanites taking over humans and making them act feral. You have apparently been surviving for some time already but were you part of a group, were you with family? With no idea who you are, you set off into the city in search of supplies and answers..
About the game
A Wasted Life (AWL), is a top down free roam survival game. It will play similar to diablo in that you will point and click to attack. Build a safe haven in the city, look for other survivors, and also look for clues to your identity. The inspiration for this game comes from a mix of roguelikes, the sims, and various top down survival horror games. The game will have various features which include:
- Procedurally Generated Counties
- Procedurally Generated Weapons
- Lot Editor which allows players to add new lots for the game to choose from.
- Slow, fast, and special zombies. Slow zombies will be the most common. If slow zombies are alerted it's possible that other fast or special zombies in the area will be alerted.
- Player customization. Change everything from the color of your hair to the color of your shoes.
- Crafting. You will find junk all over the county in various buildings. Loot drops are persistent and if you clear an area it will stay cleared. Weapons created using crafting will have a quality based on the average quality of items used in crafting it.
- Inter county travel, tired of the county you are currently in? Head for the border!
- Building. Create your dream home in a zombie filled, post apocalyptic environment. Some assembly required.
- Multiplayer; coming after Single player is up and running. Play with friends, try not to get got!
- Love/Hate system. No longer will players grief others without first having some kind of interaction with them.
- Free attack timer, in multiplayer, if someone wants to attack another player, that player is warned and given 20 seconds to get at least 20 meters away from the attacker otherwise they are free to attack.
Currently I am in the process of finishing up the lot editor. After that I can spawn the blueprint files into the game world. What's left on the editor:
- Ability to delete walls and decorations
- Story(floor) selection buttons
- Roof layer button
- Cleaning up wall placement to be less twitchy
- Create tutorial video
After the editor:
- Add sounds
- Rewrite blueprint loading code to use threading
- Turn zombie AI back on
- Turn hunger/thirst timers back on
- Add new player models as well as rig them up.
- Add perlin noise to city layout to check for what size of lot to load into position.
- Attach container loot spawning code to all container objects.
- Pre Alpha Release
I will be posting more videos by 8/11 with some commentary. I understand you guys want/need to see more about the game and I'm trying. This isn't as easy as some seem to think. Especially alone.
- After I finish the editor, today(8/7) or tomorrow, I will be releasing it for a select few to test out and get feedback on how it feels to use.
- Starting next week I will release the editor to the public and announce a lot building contest. Winners will receive a free copy of the game and a mention in the credits.
- September I should have the game up and running for everyone to playtest. I'm very optimistic that I will be able to reach that deadline.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The biggest challenge with my project currently is time and the money needed for some custom clothing & player models to be made. I make constant progress on this game and pre alpha will be ready at the start of September. I'm not stopping on this project, funding or not. What I can't crowd source I will pull out of my own pocket. I'm simply asking for help here. This passing or failing will not affect me continuing on my project(just as before).
If everything goes as planned I will be release the pre alpha during the first week of september.
Yes, furniture will also be a means in which to keep zombies out of areas. The player will be able to drag it around and block off doorways, alleys, etc. Building houses is something that is planned but will have to wait until after the alpha release.
Short answer, yes. If you are infected or lose all blood, you will die. Your character will reanimate as a zombie and still contain your items though so not all is lost!
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Get the chance to play the game from the initial Pre Alpha forward. You own the game.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
1. Copy of the game 2. Play from initial Pre Alpha 3. All future DLC will be freeEstimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Copy of the game, play from initial pre alpha, your name in the game. Could be a survivor or zombie, depending on the roll.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
1. Copy of the game 2. Play from initial Pre Alpha 3. All future DLC will be free 4. Your name in the game 5. Name at top of credits as a major contributor.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
1. Copy of the game 2. Play from initial Pre Alpha 3. All future DLC will be free 4. Your name in the game 5. Name at top of credits as a major contributor. 6. Choice of designing a building that will be shipped with the game OR designing a custom weapon to be put into the game.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
1. Copy of the game 2. Play from initial Pre Alpha 3. All future DLC will be free 4. Your name in the game 5. Name at top of credits as a major contributor. 6. Design a building that will be shipped with the game. 7. Design a custom weapon to be put into the game.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
1. Copy of the game 2. Play from initial Pre Alpha 3. All future DLC will be free 4. Your name in the game 5. Name at top of credits as a major contributor. 6. Designing a building that will be shipped with the game 7. Designing a custom weapon to be put into the game. 8. Brainstorm a new special zombie type, to be added to the game. Also another entry in the credits for the idea.Estimated delivery:
- (33 days)