You have never seen a binary clock like this!
- LCD display on back for easy use
- Menu screen provides many options
- Customize LED colors
- Choose from different binary patterns
- Equipped with alarm, snooze settings
- 12/24 hour options
- Saves time and settings while unplugged
- Stylish and industrial design
What makes this clock special?
- LCD display on the back makes this clock much more user friendly than your average binary clock. Easy to read and set the time as well as select options on menu screen
- Customizable settings to make this clock your own. You choose from a large array of colors and binary LED patterns
- 3 Mode buttons make it easy to adjust time, set alarm, and select options for color, pattern, brightness, and more
- Mode screen Includes options such as 12/24 hour time, the choice to have LCD display on or off, choose different colors for hours, minutes, and seconds. Dimming options for the LEDs
- Choose to read binary from different directions and different patterns as well as LED patterns for a fun light show
- Saves your time, alarm, and customized settings during a power failure
- No batteries required
- Plexiglas housing for this clock gives it a sleek, industrial look so you can see the hardware inside, yet the black, frosted design gives it a stylish and elegant look as well
What is binary?
Binary is the number system used by computers. It is a base 2 number system and it is all comprised of ones and zeros.
Below is an example of how to read a binary clock. In this example, the clock is showing that the time is 4:37:59. In the hours section, only a 4 is lit up in the one's place making the hour 4. In the minutes section, both a 1 and a 2 are lit up in the ten's place. When you add the 1 and 2 you get 3 for the ten's place. The one's place displays a 1, 2, and 4. Adding these together gives you the number 7, meaning that it is showing 37 minutes.
Why a binary clock?
Binary is a fun and unique way to tell time that adds a new element to your basic clock. If you are unfamiliar with binary, this clock is also a great learning tool and can help you learn a new skill.
What was my inspiration for this project?
One of the main problems that I noticed about every other binary clock on the market is that many people had complaints about having a hard time setting it. You don't have to understand binary to use this clock. Anyone can use it and it's a great way to learn the binary number system.
Most binary clocks do not contain an alarm which inspired me to add one to my project, making it multi functional with snooze settings.
Designing a binary clock was a really exciting project for me, as it gave me the opportunity to combine technology and art into one design. I grew up having a lot of pinball machines in my home and was able to use that as an inspiration for my project, being that they combine art and technology in a similar way to make something that is both useful and beautiful.
Risks and challenges
One challenge I may encounter is that lead times on components, specifically capacitors are starting to become much higher than normal. I plan to overcome this by ordering these parts far in advance to build my clocks. Some materials have only been bought in prototype quantities so sourcing could be a possible challenge. To overcome this, I am trying to seek out multiple vendors to build good relationships with.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)