Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on April 20, 2014.
About this project
Glossy surface looks awesome, no doubt. But do fingerprints on polish also look cool? No doubt they don't. How to solve this issue? How about making fingerprints a part of the design?
Color-changing paint that changes it's color from human body heat isn't new. Ordinary cases for Apple devices aren't a breakthrough either. What if we combine these two?
Touch Thermio and leave on it heat print of your body for several minutes.
You've seen on video plastic cases for iPad & iPhone. These are 3D printed demo samples but not made of usual ABS plastic (“ink” for 3D printers).
We’ve mixed the thermochromic pigment with colored ABS plastic to get the new material.
When temperature is below 85F - plastic is black, when temperature at case surface rises above 85F - original color appears visible.
Generally speaking, this technology can be used for producing everything what can be produced from plastic.
Unfortunately for the moment, this technology is good only for demo samples. To bring it to the market, we need your support.
Here is raw output from 3D printer:
As you know, 3D printed models unlike units made via injection technology has more or less rough surface.
Here are few steps of prototypes production:
As you understand, such technology uses enormous amount of time to produce single iPhone/iPad case. That's why we need your support.
To start mass production of the cases we need:
- Injection molds for cases – these molds will be specially designed to produce the units from our new material - plastic mixed with thermochromic pigment.
- Develop appropriate packaging for retail
- Receive a response from the Kickstarter community. We do believe that your ideas will help us make a better product!
What has already been done?
We've done numerous prototypes of cases with thermochrmic effect and now we proudly can tell - we know this technology and ready for mass production. Want to look at our first steps? :)
We tried both to cover plastic objects with thermochromic layer and to add pigment inside the plastic.
Second generation prototype worked better, but still it wasn't ready to be shown on Kickstarter. Non-uniform coloration, rough surface, weak thermochromic effect - the list of deficiencies isn't complete.
What we propose:
- Cases for Apple products made from heat sensitive plastic. Units will be produced in the USA, built with great quality, and will perfectly fit your Apple device
- Cases will be made of shockproof plastic, liquid crystals layer, and will meet all quality and safety standards
- You can select one of 4 colors for fingerprints: White, Red, Yellow, and Kickstarter Green. KS Green color will Never appear in retail stores. This is an exclusive choice for backers.
In case of success after receiving funding we'll work according to this plan:
- Order specially designed molds for iPhone & iPad cases that will handle a mix of thermochromic pigment and plastic
- We will order thermochromic pigment and ABS plastic in bulk quantities and prepare granules of new material with heat sensitive abilities. We have all necessary equipment to do this.
- Once we have mold and material - a final part of work begins. Actual injection molding. We already know where we'll produce cases. We have preliminary agreement with factory that specializes in injection molding.
Fortunately Thermio is light and durable. Perfect for local and international shipping.
We've received commercial quotation from US mold manufacturer. Formula of thermochromic plastic is researched, effect is stable and uniformed. We can guarantee quick response to heat and not less then 100.000 cycles of changing color.
Risks and challenges
Every project has risks and ours is not an exception, but we're absolutely sure in out manufacturing capabilities. Our previous project (NeoDrop) proved that. What we can't guarantee - exact time frames, but we will do our best to meet all goals and deadlines.
The expected timing:
First month after end of campaign: Adjustment of drawings, order of the mold.
Second month: actual mold production, manufacturing of thermochromic plastic
Third month: production of Thermios
Fourth month: local and international shipping of finished units.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (45 days)