This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, October 25 2018 8:03 PM UTC +00:00.
We're proud to present to you our tech demo, showing core game mechanics and 20-30 minutes of test gameplay. Please bear in mind that this is work in progress and subject to change.
We hope that you will notice significant improvements since Episode 1, as we acted on the feedback we received to make the game much better.
Before you start reading, we recommend that you play this piece, composed by our sound producer especially for Kickstarter to help you dive into the atmosphere of the game.
The Uncertain is an episodic, story-driven adventure game, set in a post-apocalyptic world: Humanity has been all but wiped out, and a tyrannical civilization of robots now holds Earth in an iron grip.
The first episode of The Uncertain is available on Steam: Playing as a robot named RT, you uncover the story of how a small group of human resistance fighters uncovered the truth about humanity's downfall and tried to help the few, scattered survivors. Episode Two follows the same events, but from a different point of view...
Over the past two years, The Uncertain has gone from being a one-person project to an entire world being worked on by a team of professionals. We released the first episode in September 2016 and were overjoyed at the level of support we received from our dear players. We could see you liked the idea and we also learned from your feedback that the way we were realizing our project needed to change. We have gained a great deal of experience over the last two years and can’t wait to show you a story unlike anything you have seen before.
- Classic third-person sci-fi 3D adventure.
- Player decisions influence key events later in the game.
- Puzzles form an important part of our game: Each one of them is unique!
- The main character has a holographic watch with which he can scan items, take photos (and find Easter eggs!).
- Beautiful and unusual post-apocalyptic atmosphere.
You’re living in fear. Those who you thought were your faithful servants are now hunting you down. Your friends and family have disappeared. You don’t know what happened to them and there’s nothing you can do about it when staying hidden is your only hope of survival. You’re a fugitive for nothing more than because you’re a human being.
The story unfolds in the not-too-distant future, when human society is reliant on robot labor to function. You will play as Emily, who is one of a small number of people who survive by evading the ever-watchful surveillance state that humans and their robot servants have created. To try and escape from this situation you and Emily will endure great ordeals, make life-or-death decisions, and take part in an atmospheric and thrilling adventure.
All soundtracks are composed by our sound producer, Igor Fomichev, known as Neither_Am_I. Igor mixes classical instruments and modern genres to create an emotional atmosphere for our project. Hear it for yourself!
Our game is made up of small but beautiful locations because we feel it’s important that each one is full of details containing small parts of the overall story, making them unique and interesting to explore. We pay particular attention to the design of the game levels to make them both an integral part of the story and a means of creating atmosphere.
- Emily – the protagonist. Before 'the incident' happened, she worked as a spatial designer, which gives her an encyclopedic knowledge of her town and allows her to work as a guide on field trips. She has a lively personality and likes using jokes to lighten the mood, or to hide her inner tension.
- Park – a shy young man who loves music and songwriting. He was once a student who worked at a music store part-time. Despite his health problems, he always does his best to help others, though in stressful situations he can become extreme and outspoken.
- Brian – once a communications service employee, now a pensioner and passionate amateur radio enthusiast. He can create just about anything using improvised materials. Due to his age he suffers from occasional insomnia and chronic joint pain. Brian likes to give advice and act as a mediator to resolve tensions in the group.
We believe acting is one of the most important parts for a story-driven adventure, which is why we are hiring some of the best talent working today:
- Jo Wyatt as Emily - known to you as Ciri from Witcher 3 and Female Hawke from Dragon Age: Origins
- Dolya Gavanski as Olga - known to you as Zarya from Overwatch
We are currently in negotiations with some other big names, and hope to be able to give more details soon.
Risks and challenges
The Uncertain: Episode 2 has been in development since the fall of 2016. Since then, we have overcome many challenges including writing our own scenario editor, and changing four of our lead 3D artists.
We are assembling the game level-by-level, and our two biggest challenges are a possible delay in release due to the level of quality, and the need to translate large volumes of text into other languages.
We promise to make every effort to release the project on time, and to keep you informed of any changes in the graphics, gameplay, or any other commitments that may affect you.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter