Winner! 7 Awards Including Best Play! Unprecedented 13 Midtown International Theatre Festival Nominations
Final Analysis is the acclaimed new play by Otho Eskin, directed by Ludovica Villar-Hauser and produced by DeVida Jenkins on behalf of the VH Theatrical Development Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)3 organization. The success of our developmental production, performed at the intimate June Havoc theatre at last year’s Midtown International Theatre Festival, has inspired us to seek a larger venue and an extended run in The Alice Griffin Jewel Box Theatre at the brand new Frank Gehry interior designed Pershing Square Signature Center on West 42nd Street.
Final Analysis is set in turn-of-the-century Vienna – the crossroads of civilization – a major confluence of art, music, science and politics. But festering beneath the façade of frivolity and joy, the city is rotting at its core; sickened by moral corruption, obsessed with death and ravaged by a growing hatred of the Jews. Against this background – Gustav Mahler, the great composer and conductor, falls in love with the talented, tempestuous Alma Schindler; Joseph Stalin meets a dangerous young man over a game of chess; Ludwig Wittgenstein, destined to become a dominant force in world philosophy, runs into an old schoolmate with unpleasant consequences, and in the midst of this, Sigmund Freud faces what he has always denied – the essential –evil nature of man.
“Fascinating…This well-written play examines society from the point of view of the outsider. Director Ludovica Villar-Hauser has provided a balance between those who feel comfortable questioning the status quo, and those who feel equally uncomfortable.”--Ed Malin, NYTHEATRE.com
"It's a singular achievement when iconic and influential giants such as Freud, Mahler, Stalin ... are presented on stage with as much flawed humanity and lack of self-consciousness as they are in Otho Eskin's fascinating and absorbing new play 'Final Analysis.'"--Patrick Pacheco, freelance journalist, NY1/Onstage/artinfo.com
EDITOR'S PICK!!! "Eskin's factual and fanciful 90-minute drama makes these famous people real and vulnerable." --Patricia Contino, Flavorpill
"I love plays like "Final Analysis," in which historical figures who may or may not have known one another in real life meet and talk". --Robert Windeler, Backstage
Final Analysis poses very timely questions, one of which is, “Is hate love’s dark companion?” The unfortunate state of the world, the numerous conflict zones, our inability to find peaceful solutions to the many issues we are faced with, and the fact that there are monsters in power beating the drums of war makes this play relevant today. Moving Final Analysis to a larger venue for an extended run will allow us to reach more people and through the series of Talk Backs, spark a bigger conversation around important questions we should all be asking.
For our Kickstarter Campaign we are focusing on the START UP and are looking to raise $50,000. This will help us rent the theater, pay for the insurance, begin designing the production and get the buzz started.
At the Midtown International Theater Festival, Final Analysis won 7 awards and was honored with an unprecedented 13 nominations, the most nominations ever given to one production in this festival. Final Analysis Awards Include:
- Outstanding Production of a Play
- Outstanding New Script of a Full Production - Otho Eskin
- Outstanding Direction of a Full Production - Ludovica Villar-Hauser
- Outstanding Costume Design for a Full Production - Jenny Green
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Play in a Full Production - Michael Goldsmith
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Full Production - Stephen Bradbury
- Producer’s Award (Most tickets sold at the festival)
Previous Production Cast:
Ezra Barnes as Gustav Mahler
Stephen Bradbury as The Waiter
Michael Goldsmith as Young Man
Elizabeth Jasicki as Alma Schindler
Gannon McHale as Sigmund Freud
Tony Naumovski as Joseph Stalin
Jeremiah Reynolds as Ludwig Wittgenstein
Our proposed production of Final Analysis has been meticulously planned and organized by a dedicated team of professionals who are devoted to seeing this project through, and completely believe in the excellence of the material. That being said, we will need your help to jumpstart our budget.
With the support of people who believe in this project as much as we do, we are certain that we can realize a wonderful production.
We have secured the Alice Griffin Jewel Box Theatre in the new Frank Gehry interior designed Pershing Square Signature Center on West 42nd Street.
At this theatre, we are fortunate to be playing in repertory with Two Planks Productions’ Breakfast with Mugabe by Fraser Grace. By playing in rep we halve our theatre rental and many other costs making this move possible and financially sound.
As a non-profit, our production-budget must be raised solely through donations. We must rely on the generosity and involvement of others, as with any donation-based project. There is no guarantee that we will raise the required funds, and all of the money and hard work expended to date could very well be lost. But we are willing to take these risks and confront the challenges because it is our passion and it is what we at the VH Theatrical Development Foundation, Inc. have been doing since 1999.
Otho Eskin’s plays include Act of God, Murder As A Fine Art, Season In Hell, Julie, and Duet. Duet has been performed in Washington, DC. New York, and several regional theaters in the U.S. as well as Italy, Australia, Croatia, Slovenia, Russia, and Latvia. Otho Eskin served in the United States Foreign Service in Syria, Yugoslavia, Iceland, and Berlin. He was vice-chairman of the U.S. delegation to the U.N. Conference on the Law of the Sea and was U.S. representative to the U.N. Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space.
Highlights include: Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey into Night in London’s West End; 3 productions at The Edinburgh Fringe Festival; the premiere of Gregory Murphy's The Countess, which ran Off-Broadway for 634 performances and in the West End; Rona Munro's Bold Girls at the 29th St. Rep.; the premiere of Duet by Otho Eskin, a new play about Sarah Bernhardt and Eleonora Duse; the North American premiere of Leaves of Glass by Philip Ridley and as part of Origin’s First Irish Festival, Derek Murphy's A Short Wake; As It Is In Heaven by Arlene Hutton, produced by 3 Graces Theater Co at The Cherry Lane Theatre. For The American Academy of Dramatic Arts, Enchanted April by Matthew Barber, from the novel by Elizabeth von Arnim (2010 Company), The Heidi Chronicles by Wendy Wasserstein (2012 Company) and Doubt by John Patrick Shanley (2013 Company); The Brightness of Heaven by Laura Pedersen and Final Analysis by Otho Eskin.
DeVida began her career as a technician and lighting designer, working on numerous shows in Summer Stock, Community, and Regional Theatre. From 1997 until 2009, she was the General Manager of the Merriam Theater in Philadelphia, where she introduced new audiences to theatre with an eclectic booking policy. She also created many educational programs, including Broadway on Broad and the Student Critics Program. DeVida has served on the board of the League of Professional Theatre Women, and she currently serves on the boards of String Theory Schools and the Philadelphia County Master Gardeners. Final Analysis is her second production credit. In 2010, she co-produced the New Play Festival for the League of Professional Theatre Women.
VH Theatrical Development Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization, committed to new writing of merit for an intelligent audience not averse to words or serious subject matters with a special focus on hiring women theatre artists. Your contributions will be tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law.
If paying on Kickstarter is an issue, please contact us and we will help you!
Thank you for your participation and consideration. Please contribute as much as you can . . . every dollar counts. See you at the theatre!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes! Please contact us directly and we will help you figure it out.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
1. INTERNET THANK YOU: A thank you on our Facebook, Website and Twitter. (Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
2. MAGNET FAN: A Final Analysis Magnet PLUS INTERNET THANK YOU.(Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:Add $1 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
3. MUSIC FAN: Download two Lieder by Alma Mahler, recorded exclusively for Final Analysis by concert pianist Melody Fader and opera singer Lauren Criddle. Excerpts from this recording can be heard in our video. PLUS INTERNET THANK YOU. (Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:Add $1 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
55 backers Limited (20 left of 75)
5. DRESS REHEARSAL: A ticket to the Final Analysis Dress Rehearsal on XXXX (running time 90 minutes), PLUS all of the above. (Tax Deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
6. FAN PACKAGE: Too Far away to attend our show? Or looking for Final Analysis Keepsakes? Receive a Final Analysis poster signed by playwright Otho Eskin PLUS all of the above, excluding DRESS REHEARSAL. (Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $125 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (12 left of 15)
NEW! A written interpretation of one of your dreams by our dream analyst PLUS your choice of the DRESS REHEARSAL or FAN PACKAGE.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
7 backers Limited (143 left of 150)
7. PREVIEW BACKER: Two PREVIEW tickets on Thursday, August 8th at 7:30pm, Saturday August 10th at 2pm, OR Saturday, August 10th at 7:30pm (running time 90 minutes) PLUS everything in our FAN PACKAGE. (subject to availability, Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:Add $1 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
10 backers Limited (190 left of 200)
8. CHOOSE YOUR NIGHT BACKER: Two tickets for your choice of performance to Final Analysis, and two refreshments before or after the performance at The Signature Cafe, PLUS the FAN PACKAGE. (excluding Opening, Vienna, and Freud nights, and Benefit performances. Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
5 backers Limited (45 left of 50)
9. PRIVATE PARTY PACKAGE: Invitation to a FINAL ANALYSIS event hosted in the private home of one of our most ardent supporters! PLUS your name in the Thank You section of our program and the FAN PACKAGE. (Events are in New York, New York, transportation not included. Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
5 backers Limited (45 left of 50)
10. PREMIUM GUEST BACKER: Two Premium-section tickets for your choice of performance to Final Analysis and two refreshments before or after the performance at The Signature Cafe. PLUS join the PRIVATE PARTY, receive the INTERNET THANK YOU and your name in the Thank You section of our program. (excluding Opening, Vienna, Freud nights and Benefit performances. Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (8 left of 10)
11. BEHIND THE SCENES BACKER: Be present for a rehearsal. Watch director Ludovica Villar-Hauser work with the incredible cast and creative team of Final Analysis. Have a chance to meet Playwright Otho Eskin. See first hand the work that goes into creating theatre. Get autographs before or after rehearsal! PLUS the PRIVATE PARTY PACKAGE, the INTERNET THANK YOU and your name in the Thank You section of our program. (Rehearsals are in New York, New York, transportation not included. Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (22 left of 25)
12. DREAM BACKER: Two tickets to FREUD NIGHT on XXXXXXXX a performance of Final Analysis followed by a reception featuring the food, drink and music of 1910 Vienna and a Freudian expert speaker and dream analyst. PLUS join the PRIVATE PARTY, the INTERNET THANK YOU and your name in the Thank You section of our program. (Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (50 left of 50)
13. OPENING NIGHT: Two tickets for the OPENING NIGHT performance (Sunday, August 16th at 2:00pm), two invitations to the AFTER-PARTY, two invites to the PRIVATE PARTY, the INTERNET THANK YOU and your name in the Thank You section of our program. (Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $7,500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
14. OPENING NIGHT PREMIUM: Two Premium-section tickets to the OPENING NIGHT performance (Friday, August 16th at 7:30pm) and after-party PLUS two invites to the PRIVATE PARTY, the INTERNET THANK YOU and your name in the Thank You section of our program. (Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
15. FUND A PERFORMANCE: This level of donation will enable 180 high school students who might not normally be able to go to the theatre to attend a performance of Final Analysis. OR if you prefer those 180 tickets can be given to another charity so that they can use the seats to fundraise for their own cause. A win-win situation and your $10,000 is a gift to us and potentially to many others!! This includes your name in the Thank You section of our program and the INTERNET THANK YOU. (Tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.)Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)