Hello! This is Taka Yamamoto.
I am an interdisciplinary artist based in Portland and Los Angeles, USA. I work in performance, photography and sculpture. (You can see my work here on my website.) Also, my school just wrote an online article about me. You can find the article HERE.
w just received an amazing honor to participate in the danceWEB scholarship program in Vienna, Austria. (!!) danceWEB is a five-week intensive development program for young professional dancers and choreographers in the frame of the ImPulsTanz international festival of contemporary dance.
This is a tremendous honor and rare opportunity for me. Considering I am the only Japanese artist selected for this year's danceWEB, I am also one of the only five US/US based artists from a pool of 1023 applicants from all over the world!!
This life-changing opportunity allows me to study with dancers and choreographers that I respect and follow. I will further develop and learn technical skills through everyday workshops while I connect globally with young contemporary dancers. I'm looking forward to contribute my unique dual perspective from visual art practice and various performance training to this incredibly talented dancers and choreographers in Europe!!
In order to secure my spot in this program, I need to raise 1/3 of my scholarship ($2,850). This needs to be provided by June 1st, 2012. The European Commission as well as several Austrian funding organizations will fund remaining expenses. In addition to the tuition cost, I have to provide costs for airfare and meal expenses for duration of 5 weeks. The sum of my share of tuition, airfare and meal expenses totals $5,500.
I am fortunate to receive some funding from global studies department at Pacific Northwest College of Art, where I am a first year graduate student in Visual Studies. Though I will pay my share of the costs in this experience, I am still in need of $2900 to cover my expenses.
For this kickstarter campaign, I have been hand-making an artist book, SINGLE VIEW. SQUARE VIEW: editions of 15! (Please see the sample image). It is a compilation of high-quality photo prints.
I am also making a photo memento using some of those photo prints and mounting them onto a black boards: editions of 20! Take a look at these two images of the book that I'm working on. I dyed the thread, and I'm sewing them now!!
I will be making 8 small sculpture pieces in glass jars.The image is one of the sculpture pieces that I will give out. I haven't made others, yet, but they are coming soon!
And, I will make a custom book with photos of your choice for the higher contributions.
my mom and my sister just agreed to teach me how to make slippers out of fabric and ropes in May. So I will make 3 of those slippers then! Below is a sample image of the slippers I will make.
Here is the break down of what this danceWEB Scholarship program entails. You can see how incredible this opportunity will be!
- Individual coaching by the danceWEB artistic mentors Benoît Lachambre (CA) & Robin Poitras (CA)
- Participation in the research projects of ImPulsTanz 2012 (ProSeries and CoachingProjects)
- Participation in the technique workshops of ImPulsTanz 2012
- Free Admission to all performances of ImPulsTanz 2012
- Free Accommodation in Vienna for the period of the Scholarship Programme (single or double room)
- Free Access to approx. 300 awarded dance film videos as well as to screenings of documentations and to the dance film productions of artists and companies who perform at the ImPulsTanz
- Exchange of ideas and contact with the international teachers and choreographers of ImPulsTanz 2012
- Lecture demonstrations & talks
- Special projects exclusively offered to danceWEB scholarship holders
- representation in the yearly growing, international danceWEB-database at www.jardindeurope.eu
Please help me to get to Vienna this summer for this amazing life-changing experience!
Thank you for taking the time to look at this page!
Support this project
- (19 days)