About this project
- The Feminomicon is an artistic guidebook chronicling mythical women from around the world, written and illustrated in the style of the legendary Lovecraftian tome.
- It's an 8"x10" heavy hardcover, approximately 150 pages long; featuring a durable double binding, and high-quality photo paper.
- A great coffee table art book for anyone who loves mythology, monsters, women, and fantasy art.
- A collection that focuses on diversity and female empowerment while avoiding the longstanding scifi-fantasy tradition of shallow sexual titillation.
The mind-bending monsters in this book include:
- Blood sucking Penanggalan, flying severed heads with trailing intestines that glow and glitter like fireflies.
- Mysterious Yuki Onna, whose transparent skin and piercing eyes lure men to freeze in isolated Japanese mountain ranges.
- The monstrous Scylla, a sea creature who dwells in narrow straits and takes the lives of unwary seamen with her six ravenous heads.
- Pitiless Succubus, sexually aggressive demons that drain the living of their life force.
- The obsidian butterfly Itzpapalotl, a fearsome skeletal warrior goddess who rules over the paradise world of Tamoanchan.
- And dozens more, for a grand total of more than fifty unique creatures!! See the full list here.
Each two page spread focuses on a single monster, with a full color illustration and a detailed description of their abilities, behavior, and origins.
While working on my previous book, A Natural History of the Fantastic, I spent several years researching humanity's darkest monsters. To my disappointment, a wealth of expressive and interesting creatures have been completely forgotten. Everyone knows harpies, medusa, and hags... but have you heard of the great Dearg Due, Hari Onnago, or Campe?
The Feminomicon was born out of love for our forgotten female gods and monsters. It’s made with a desire to reinvent the mythology and come up with a new and exiting world that captures the empowering essence of these often overlooked creatures. It unfolds in a universe inspired by ancient societies with an epic scale and realistic fully-realized feel. The book will be anchored by detailed illustrations like the ones you see on this page.
Pledge $35 or more and you get access to A Natural History of the Fantastic, a 120-page artbook bestiary that includes the anatomy, behavior, and origins of dozens of amazing fantasy creatures.
Mankind's monsters, interconnected through a series of recorded histories, myths, and first-hand encounters that stress the value of exploration and curiosity in the face of superstition. Available now!
Inside these pages you'll find- Goblins, Kappa, Centaur, Trolls, Imps, Mermaids, Angels, Griffins, Minotaurs, Demons, Sphinx, Basilisks, Wyrms, Krakens, Harpies, Wyverns, Unicorns, Mushroom men, Cyclopses, Werewolves, Orcs, Dragons, and more!
How will your donation help the project?
All donations collected for The Feminomicon will be used to cover printing and basic production expenses. To make sure the book's quality isn't compromised I've decided to work with the company Print Ninja.
This will ensure that the book's creation will be handled by experts experienced with crowdfunded projects and will produce a high-quality final product. Any additional funds raised will be used to create bonus content and amazing stretch goals that improve the rewards for donors like you.
What are the Stretch Goals-
About the Author-
My name is Christopher Stoll. I’m responsible for the writing, illustration, production, and marketing of The Feminomicon . I’ve been doing freelance graphic art and illustration for nearly ten years, and for much of that I’ve been hoping to publish for people who share my passion for monsters and magic.
I've been called one of the “top illustrators in the world” by ACreativeBlog, and featured multiple times by Huffington Post and Disney's website for my illustrations.
Right now I'm touring North America in an old school bus that I use as a mobile studio, and hoping to keep my instant ramen stocked up and my engine running.
Risks and challenges
This is my second book, and I am confident that the printing run will go smoothly. I'll be working with PrintNinja, and with their resources and expertise the quality of the book will not be compromised and that the many steps from concept to delivery will be a success.
Currently, the book is about 60-70% done, with the remaining work consisting of text formatting, layout, editing, and a handful of unfinished art piece
Backers will be kept up to date on production goals and given regular previews as the book nears distribution. If any delays occur you will be the first to know.
Support this project
- (33 days)