That’s it folks!! The anxiously awaited moment is here! It’s time to reveal Children of Zodiarcs’ official release date! But first, I would like to write a paragraph or two about…
Here we go:
We are thrilled to announce that July 18, 2017, Children of Zodiarcs will be coming out on PS4 & Steam (Windows)!
This announcement has been a long time coming. We have wanted to say when the release would be for some time and it pained us to not be able to be more precise in the last weeks and months, but there were still too many questions left to answer, and too many unknowns keeping us from getting to these answers. We are super happy to finally be able to share this with you all, and we want to thank you again for having been patient and supportive through all this.
We also want to give a thousand thanks to all the beta tier backers who spotted bugs and posted them on Steam. You're the real MVPs. We got rid of a lot of bugs and improved the balancing of the game thanks to your precious help and vigilant eyes!
So NOW, you can mark the date and tell all your gamer friends and family! If you haven’t seen Children of Zodiarcs in action in a while, check out this updated version of our trailer featuring all new gameplay footage:
If you are curious about the origin story of Children of Zodiarcs, you can also head over to Sony’s Playstation Blog, to read our article!
I’m sure other questions and comments will come up until July 18th, so please bring them to the comments section, Facebook, Twitter, Steam & Twitch (more on that in a bit!). But right now, there's already an answer for two that have already been asked:
Is the Mac version still coming out? Yes! As we have mentioned previously, the Mac version will be coming out a bit later. We will keep you informed as soon as the mac beta comes out, as we will need your help testing it!
- Is Canadian Spring later, or… ? As some of you have pointed out on Steam, like the rest of North America, we can only stretch the definition of “Spring” all the way to late June, so yes, the release date is a few weeks later than our “Spring 2017” estimation. This is mostly due to a slightly longer testing and debugging period than we anticipated, but we think it was absolutely worth it in the end, as Children of Zodiarcs is now so much more polished, and runs smoothly on so many machines.
Another exciting piece of news: Starting next week, we will start streaming again every other week! To celebrate the release date announcement, we will kick off the revival of our streaming rendez-vous with a showcase of the beta on Thursday, May 25, at 6:30pm EDT. Save the date and bring your questions! If there are questions you already know you want us to answer in the stream, you can already post them here in the comments section of Kickstarter, and start them with “#StreamQ”, that way it will be easy for us to grab all of them beforehand!
Also, stay tuned for our future streams as well, as we will be playing other games, stream with other devs from the team (and maybe even from other teams!). We will be announcing our upcoming streams on Twitter, Facebook & in the comments section right here on Kickstarter. On that topic, we are considering gathering a few indie devs on our office couch to watch E3 press conferences live and comment on them. We are curious to know if some of you may be interested in that type of content. Let us know, and let us know as well if you have any ideas or requests about other types of content you would like to watch!
Peace out, y'all!
Hey hey everyone! Woo! The beta is live and you are PLAYING IT! So excited. This has also generated a few questions, so here are answers!
How do I get access to my digital downloads on Backerkit?
To get you digital downloads (alpha or beta key), you need to go back to your Backerkit survey, which, if it’s completed, will display your “order confirmation”, including your shipping info, digital downloads and the list of your rewards.
There’s three ways to access your Backerkit survey:
Log into your Backerkit account. (Backerkit accounts are for people who manage multiple pledges on Backerkit. If you have one, you already know how this works! If you don’t, check the next 2 options below.)
- Find the email you received at the end of the campaign that invited you to fill out your Backerkit survey, and click the link in said email.
- If you can’t find the email inviting you to fill out your Backerkit survey, go to https://childrenofzodiarcs.backerkit.com/ and fill in your email address. Your Backerkit survey link will be sent to you. Simply open the email and click the link.
If your Backerkit survey is completed (and locked, which is an operation that can take us a couple of days if you just completed it), you will see a “Digital downloads” button right below your shipping info. Click it, and get that key!
How come I don’t have a beta key?
First of all, you need to figure out if you are indeed an alpha or a beta backer:
To receive a beta key, the minimum pledge was 27$. If you backed one of the following tiers, you should have access to the beta:
- EARLY BIRD BETA MASTER (27$ - beta key)
- BETA MASTER (30$ - beta key)
- POSTMAN (35$ - beta key)
- EARLY BIRD ALPHA MASTER (40$ - alpha/beta key)
- ALPHA MASTER (50$ alpha/beta key)
- WELL DRESSED (65$ alpha/beta key)
- WALL DECORATOR (70$ alpha/beta key)
- KEEPER (85$ alpha/beta key)
- PORTRAIT COLLECTOR (120$ alpha/beta key)
- HERALD (140$ alpha/beta key)
- LIBRARIAN (145$ alpha/beta key)
- ARCHIVIST (220$ alpha/beta key)
- TORAN NOBLE (450$ alpha/beta key)
- SHAMBLES DWELLER (800$ alpha/beta key)
- And all upward pledges
If you were not in one of these tiers, you may have purchased an alpha or beta access as an add-on.
In both cases, in your Backerkit order confirmation, you can look for “beta” or “alpha” in your pledge items or add-on items.
You didn’t back one of the tiers listed above and did not add an alpha or beta access as an add-on, then you are not an alpha nor beta backer and will have to wait a little bit longer for the game’s full release to get a key that will give you access to the full game.
You backed one of the tiers listed above or added an alpha or beta access as an add-on, you should have access to a key now.
You only have an “alpha” key in your digital downloads, that means you were an alpha backer, which gave you access to the alpha, and now gives you access to the beta. If you have not redeemed your key on Steam, simply do so now, and you will now have access to the beta. You have redeemed your alpha key on Steam, simply let Steam update the game and you will now have access to the beta.
- You don’t have access to the “digital downloads” button, make sure that your survey is answered. If not, answer it and give us a few days to update your status so you can have access to your downloads. If your survey is answered and you should have an alpha or beta key but do not have access to your digital downloads, poke us here on Kickstarter!
I’m not getting the beta, can I add it now?
We have received a lot of request to get the beta now, and unfortunately, right now, we have to focus so much of our energies in getting the game ready for launch that we don’t have the internal resources to respond to all these requests, so to be fair to everyone, we will keep the rewards as they are.
However, if you are a member of a media outlet and would like to help spread the word, get or stay in touch with us, we will have some news coming up for you soon, and eventually some material for you to sink your teeth into.
Can I stream the whole game?
We have already seen streams and Youtube videos coming up, YAAAY! It’s so awesome to see you guys play, to hear all your feedback! So cool.
Now, we did not ask for anything super specific when streaming beside mentioning the state of the build and avoiding major spoilers.
However, now that we see that there is an enthusiasm for showing the game (again: YAY!) we feel like it’s a good time to add a little request:
Until the game is out, we would be eternally grateful if you guys do not stream any Story Missions after Story Mission 9, as pretty significant spoilers would then start getting out. Thanks a lot for your understanding and collaboration!
Is it just me or are the dialogues a bit weird sometimes?
Speaking of spoilers and story, I wanted to make a precision regarding the dialogue that are presently in the beta:
I mentioned in the last update that “some lines are missing”. I feel like it would be more accurate to say that because of some manipulations we needed to do for localization and QA, several lines that comprise a significant portion of some dialogues are actually missing. So do not be too surprised if conversations seem to end very abruptly or jump all over the place!
When will the physical rewards be shipped?
Of course, for now, our number one priority is finishing and launching the game, so our focus is on that. However, once the game is all done, we will start using the final assets we have created for it to prepare everything from the poster, the postcards, the art book, the physical game’s box cover, etc. Hence, the physical rewards will be shipped after the game has launched, including your t-shirts if you haven’t received them yet.
What happens if I need to change my shipping address?
If you have not received your t-shirt yet, your shipping address is not locked down, and you can change it through your Backerkit survey (there’s a “Edit shipping info” button below your shipping info) If your shipping info is locked down (no button), poke us here on Kickstarter and we’ll unlock it temporarily for you to change it.
We will send a reminder to everyone to double check their shipping info before sending out the physical rewards, so keep an eye on the updates!
So here you have it folks!
Thanks again for your enthusiasm, thanks for sharing the game, and thanks for all your great feedback, especially to the bug-chasing beta backers! We don’t always immediately respond to all of your comments in the bug report threads, but we take note of each of them!
Thanks a lot again, and Happy Easter to those who celebrate it, Happy Chocolate day to those who celebrate it that way, and a great weekend to everyone!
Hello everyone, Jason here, to serve you all Beta-access backers a Beta straight out of the oven, with a light side dish of instructions / explanations / comments!
How do I get my Beta?
It all depends on whether you already have access to the Alpha or not:
If you already have access to the Alpha: Super simple! Let Steam update the game and voilà! You have access to the Beta!
If this is your first time accessing the game through Steam: You will need your steam access key:
- If you have answered the Backerkit survey we sent out, go into your Backerkit account and view the “Digital Downloads” section. You will find your key there!
- If you have not answered your survey, you will need to do that first (https://childrenofzodiarcs.backerkit.com/). Then, we will need to lock down your survey, so that the system can give you access to a key in the “Digital downloads” section.
What if I’m waiting for the Mac version?
If you are expecting a Beta access, whether for Windows or Mac, you will have received a key in the “Digital Downloads” section of your Backerkit account.
However, as I’ve mentioned before, the Mac launch will take place after the Windows and PS4 launch, so the Mac Beta will also be coming in a bit later. This means that you have your key in the “Digital Downloads” section of Backerkit, you can activate it and play the game on a system that runs Windows, but not on a Mac.
Whenever the Mac version of the Beta is available, we will notify you. You will then be able to play the game on a Mac with the same access key. We will also need your help at that point to help us make the Mac version as good and bug-free as possible!
What does the Beta contain?
The Beta version of the game is feature complete! You will be able to play through the whole game, including the main story missions, the side missions, the skirmishes, the battle arena, and the Moments of quiet (campfire discussions), as well as doing all the party management you like, and saving your progress! Indeed, the menus are all up and will allow you to change default settings, pause, suspend your game, save and load it, and access help slides if you need more info about how to play the game.
As for the Alpha, you will be able to play with a keyboard and mouse or with a controller. We support a lot of different controllers. If your controller is not supported, please report this as a bug! (http://steamcommunity.com/app/436290/discussions/0/133261907135064214/)
Finally, as I mentioned in the last update, some placeholders are still in the game:
- Some lines of dialogues are still missing, and some of the illustrations are work-in-progress.
- The music and SFX (sound effects) are not completely integrated.
- The option to change language is in the build, but only English content is currently available in the game. Changing language would result in making the game pretty unusable, as text would be non existent or (poor) automatically generated translations.
- The names in the Credits are placeholder names, we will add the correct ones later, so no worries, it’s normal you don’t see yours in there!
What kind of feedback would help the most?
Any feedback is great, but what we specifically look for is:
- What do you think of the difficulty level of the normal and hard modes?
- How well does the game run on your system? Give us an idea of your specs, the settings you’re using, what framerate does the game runs at, etc.
- And of course: Did you encounter any bugs?
What do I do if I find a bug?
If you find any bugs, please post them here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/436290/discussions/0/133261907135064214/
If you do decide to discuss the game, please be mindful of other players and avoid spoilers or create spoiler dedicated threads!
Can I stream or make YouTube videos?
As for the Alpha, we are totally ok with streaming and Youtubing, but if you have or work for a media outlet and would like to show, share or review the game, we encourage you to get in touch with us (firstname.lastname@example.org)! We will soon have some extra info to share with the press & media.
If you do share the game on social media, via streaming or videos, we ask for a few things:
- Please do not cover the top right corner that says the game is still a work-in-progress.
- Please write in any descriptions and do inform your viewers that the game is still a work-in-progress.
- Please let people know that you have access to the build because you are a Kickstarter backer.
- If you need visual assets, you can go to our press kit, where you'll find logos and screenshots: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hk8dpcwdq78erli/AABzV8jnRjD_hvu48VXOwcYea?dl=0
Furthermore if you and your viewers are having fun, you can tell them to wishlist us on Steam! (http://store.steampowered.com/app/436290/)
And of course, let us know when you release any content so we can share it on our social media platforms!
Can’t wait to see all the cool strategies you guys come up with!!
And… MAY THE BONEY HAND OF FATE ROLL ALWAYS IN YOUR FAVOR.