About this project
How to set-up your Nubé
How to hang your Pares Hammock inside Nubé
SMr's Pares Hammock
Pre-Order the Nubé and all the add-ons at www.SIERRAMADRERESEARCH.COM
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WATCHING OUR VIDEO! We appreciate your time and value your interest in the Nubé! If you’d like to find out more about the Nubé and our company please feel free to read on!
Check out our new STRETCH GOALS below!!!
**IF YOU ARE TRYING TO ADD ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS TO YOUR REWARD**
You can only select one reward, but you can add on multiple products to that reward.Choose the reward you want. If you would like to add on to that reward, go to "Manage your pledge" and increase the amount of your pledge by the amount of the product you would like to add on. EX. You choose the Madre Package at $350 but want to add on an xPlor hammock at $60. You simply increase the $350 you pledged to $410, but stay pledged to the "Madre Package"We will send out a survey at the end of the campaign to confirm exactly what products you want.
What is the Nubé?
The Nubé (new-bay) is more than just a hammock shelter, it’s a safe haven for you and your gear wherever you are. With it’s patent pending 3 in 1 system the Nubé is the most complete hammock shelter ever produced. The Nubé protects you from torrential down pours, pesky insects, and keeps your gear elevated and protected, allowing you to freely venture in comfort. The Nubé is designed to be compatible with any camping hammock, so now we can all enjoy complete elevated protection!
What makes the Nubé different?
What the Nubé offers:
- Elevation: you are elevated off the ground, which means restful sleep and no cozying up with snakes, creepy crawlies, and rodents.
- Landscape Versatility: you can set-up basically anywhere: lakes, streams, hillsides, muddy or swampy area, even over rocks. (The Nubé may also be used as a tent on flat ground. Let’s face it, trees aren’t ALWAYS available.)
- User Friendly Versatility: Use the Nubé with any hammock, that’s what we designed it for.
- Footprint: The Nubé offers a HUGE ground area protected from water, so when you’re on the trail and its pouring, have everyone over for a card game and dinner.
- Light Weight: No tent poles necessary, the Nubé system weighs in at approximately 2.24 lbs.
- Space: The interior space of the Nubé is huge! You'll have plenty of room to freely move around in your hammock.
Specifications (approximate dimensions and weights may change slightly with production):
- Length: 13 ft (3.96 m)
- Set-Up Width (center): (min) 7.5 ft (2.28 m) / (max) 10.0 ft (3.04 m)
- Nubé Weight (no stakes): 2 lbs (0.90 kg)
- Total Weight (with stakes): 2.24 lbs (1.01 kg)
- Packed Size: 10 in x 6 in x 6 in (25.4 cm x 15.25 cm x 15.25 cm)
- Water Barrier Fabric: 40 Denier Nylon Rip Stop with 2 coats of silicone on the top and bottom of the fabric.
- Insect Shield: No-Seeum Polyester Mesh fabric
- Gear Storage: 70 Denier Nylon Rip Stop with a PU coating of 1200mm
- Nubé Stake Length: 7 in (18cm)
What’s included with your Nubé?
- Nubé 3-in-1 Shelter (Rain Protection, Insect Shield, and Gear Storage System)
- (8) Nubé Stakes
- 8 Sets of 2mm Dyneema Cordage w/ Reflective Tracers
- Compression Bag w/ Stake Bag attached
How does the Nubé work?
- The “Sky Hooks” support your elevated Nubé in constant tension creating a solid platform to shed water and resist wind.
- The “Closure Sleeves” are openings on each side of the Nubé that allow your hammock suspension line to pass through. They tightly seal around your suspension lines prohibiting water or insects to enter.
- The “Insect Shield” surrounds your underside of the Nubé eliminating the possibility for insects to bug you during the night. The Insect Shield also allows the Nubé to breathe, so on hot nights you have the airflow you need to stay cool.
- The “Gear Storage Area” uses load bearing lines that attach to your hammock’s suspension lines, thus eliminating any stress placed on the Nubé from your gear. The Gear Storage Area can also be used to add warmth to the user, just add some clothes to it and pull it up nice and snug to your hammock and it will insulate your back on cool nights.
- The full length zipper gives you easy access to the shelter and your gear.
- The compression bag compresses the Nubé into a small package and is weather resistant so you can keep it anywhere.
- We have some more surprises packed into our Nubé for you, like our revolutionary guy-line holders that keep your cords nice and neat, and an inside pocket at arm level with your hammock for smaller items such as headlamp and phone.
Our Production Plan:
- We currently have 10 working Nubé prototypes, and after extensive testing the final designs of the system are complete.
- We have sourced each and every piece that goes into making the Nubé selecting the highest quality, most durable lightweight components.
- We own the manufacturing company that will be producing the Nubé, so they are trained and ready to begin production.
- We are using Kickstarter Pledges to buy the needed materials for the Nubé and to cover the first phase of manufacturing costs.
- We plan to offer two different color types of the Nubé, a burnt orange and a steel grey. We also have several other awesome rewards to offer anyone who pledges.
- We have created a detailed time line to give you a conservative idea of the shipping dates of the final products.
- Because of our experience with launching our manufacturing company and four other successful products we are able to confidently move forward with the execution of this project.
Founder Richard Rhett: In 2009 I went on a medical trip to a remote region in Honduras. 80% of the illnesses we treated were caused by the lack of clean drinking water. I camped in a hammock every night on this trip, and loved the idea of hammocking, but the hammock I had was just not good enough, I wanted to make it better. When I got home, I bought a sewing machine, and with my engineering background and gear junkie mentality, I got to work building improved hammock prototypes. It was then I decided to unite my passion for design and the outdoors with my passion for people and in 2010, I founded Sierra Madre Research. Since November of 2012 we’ve been producing high quality gear, and funding clean water well drilling with a portion of our profit.
We are now a small team comprised of adventurers with engineering and creative design backgrounds. We design and manufacture outdoor gear to a standard of excellence, and of course, have the time of our lives getting to test them in the wilderness.
Our greatest mission is to Advocate Adventure in the people that use our gear while simultaneously Advocating Change in the areas of the world that do not have access to clean drinking water.
Find out more here: http://www.sierramadreresearch.com/about-smr/
and here: https://www.facebook.com/SMr.gear
SMr ILLUMINATE (in-house Manufacturing Company)
In 2011 we proudly incorporated our own production company in Managua, Nicaragua. We can ensure our products are manufactured in an uplifting environment, where we take care of our employees, and have control over the quality of our gear, rather than outsourcing our work to high volume/low bid facilities. We wanted to take full ownership of every piece of our gear and ensure our production team is well taken care of and treated with respect.
Sierra Madre Research (SMr) Time Line:
- 2009 (late) Honduras. Experienced Dirty Water / Idea / Bought Sewing Machine
- 2010 (early) Founded Company / Pares Hammock Prototype / Nube` Prototype
- 2010 (late) Three Nube` Prototypes Constructed New Sizings
- 2011 (early) Nube` shelter, Pares & Solo hammocks- Product Development and Testing
- 2011 (mid) Nube` 190 Days Philippines / Nube` Testing in Honduran Rain Forests
- 2011 (late) Launch SMR ILLUMINATE / Find Suppliers / Pares and Solo Product Dev.
- 2012 (early) Design and Provisional Patents for Nube` / Nube` Testing in Puerto Rico
- 2012 (mid) Raw Goods Analysis / Forming Supply Chain / SMr launches
- 2012 (late) Begin Production @ SMR ILLUMINATE / Pares & Solo Released for Sale
- 2013 (early) Non-Provisional Patent for Nube` / Increase Supply Chain
Meet the Team!
Richard Rhett Jr.
- Founder of Sierra Madre Research and SMR ILLUMINATE
- Contact Information: email@example.com
- Phone #: 9084446767
- Background: Research Mechanical Engineer / Gear Snob
- Passionate about: spreading life, the outdoors (climbing, hiking, mountaineering, kayaking, biking, overlanding, and photography), and designing gear.
- “ I believe in doing something to change the problem, not talking about it “
- “ True religion, acceptable to God, is to look after orphans and widows in their times of need and to strive for purity ”
- Chief Marketing Officer
- Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone #: 9084446767
- Background: Communications/Public Relations/Spanish
- Passionate about: loving people, adventure, seeing every nook and cranny of this amazing planet, climbing rock and ice, and simply living life with no boundaries!
- “ Truly it may be said that the outside of a mountain is good for the inside of a man. “ said by George Wherry
- “ I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. “ said by George Washington Carver
Our team here at SMr is so thankful for the ability to share our story and our mission with you! We hope we get the chance to help you live out some awesome adventures and truly EXPERIENCE the world around you!
Risks and challenges
Starting our own manufacturing company has definitely been the largest challenge we have faced. Logistics issues, cultural differences, and foreign policy have all been problems that we have faced, but with great perseverance we are prevailing. We have been able to offer full time jobs to men and women who are ready and willing to use the skills they have learned, and in turn able to sustainably build a future for their families.
Building our supply chain was a long drawn out process, but it has paid off. We tediously searched through hundreds of raw goods manufacturers to find the highest quality products and the most reputable companies to source from.
Newly married and building a business from the ground up debt free has been a huge challenge and yet so rewarding at the same time. We make a heck of a team and I am thankful everyday for my wife, lover, CMO, belayer, and friend.
We will face many more challenges ahead, of this I am certain, but God sustains me constantly and strengthens my faith to know that whatever we face as a company we will push ahead strong with a consistent character of building innovative high quality gear and advocating change for the hurting people of this world.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
I am interested in multiple Pares Systems OR multiple Nube` why is there not a rewards option for this?
Please message us to find out more information about this.
We will send out a survey, so that all of our backers get the exact rewards and color combinations they desire!
YES! If you pledged over $2.00 you will get a decal!
Amazon will charge your account after the project is complete! Which will be after September 11th.
Any orders or add-ons for our fantastic Pares hammock include the following: Pares Hammock, pair of EZSlings, pair of Carabiners. This is what we like to call the Pares System. So rest assured you get everything you need to enjoy your Pares as soon as it arrives!
Great! Just add the appropriate amount to your pledge!
- (USA) Nube` ($250)
- (USA) Pares System ($100)
- (International) Nube` ($275)
- (International) Pares System ($120)
We will send out surveys to clarify each product ordered and each color desired!
Here is how my wife and I hang two hammocks in the Nube`:
- We take one set of EZSlings and we attach her hammock tight and high in the Nube`
- Then we take my Hammock and move down one or two notches on the same EZSlings and attach my Pares so that it is directly under hers. You will be close together but it is very doable and we sleep nicely this way.
This works well for us because she likes her Pares tight and I like mine with an arch. Because of the spacious Nube` interior you have several options to comfortably sleep two people. Please note that your gear storage area may loose some of its space with this set-up.
The SMr crew did 26 miles on the AT recently and we had three couples on the trip, we all slept two Pares per Nube`. It rained every night on the trip but everyone stayed dry, we had a blast!
The Pares is 10.8ft in length and 6.5ft in width and weighs 22 ounces.
It is our LARGEST camping hammock and sleeps very comfortably in the diagonal, esp. for taller people. You can comfortably snuggle another in the Pares, after all thats what the name means :). The Pares System comes with the Hammock, 2 EZSlings, and 2 Climb rated carabiners all for $100.
The xPlor is 8.8ft in length and 4.8ft in width and weighs just 10.8 ounces. This hammock was designed to bunk with the Pares (Check out update #8). It is smaller and in turn a very light weight hammock. The xPlor add-on comes with the hammock and two climb rated carabiners for $60. The xPlor can also be used as a stand alone hammock very easily by adding our EZSlings to it ($25).
The load rating for the xPlor is 300lbs. The materials are the same as the Pares and the quality is the same, excellent.
I am a taller person (6'2") and really enjoy the extra space the Pares provides, my wife is 5'6" and she really enjoys the xPlor. When we aren't in the Pares together, she is usually in the xPlor.
Support this project
- (35 days)