Greetings! We are Brownish Black. We're an 8 piece soul band from the buzzing music scene of Portland, OR. For over 4 years now, Brownish Black has morphed into a hard working 8-piece original soul providing dance group. We're a mix of generations, genders and races -- much like our audiences. We're dedicated to delivering heartfelt, raw, and authentic music that is inclusive to all walks of life. Our message of inclusion has lit up dance floors and touched hearts in a variety of venues and community events. Each song has been meticulously arranged, scored and rehearsed to get the most powerful studio performance. We're ready to send our music into the world in record form!
YOUR KINDNESS AND SUPPORT
Most importantly, we need YOUR help and generosity to fully fund our endeavor. We've funded half of the recording process with our own means, but we've run out of money. It takes a good chunk of cash to turn out a great record. Even if you can't do much financially, we appreciate any help you can give, including getting the word out to your friends and fam! We need to meet our goal: completing the album. However, if you help us SURPASS our goal then we can promote the album nationally, make the music video we want to share with all of you, and above all pay the people who have helped us get to this point.
- Our producer/engineer, John Neff, is world class and a professional in the field of sound. Most of the campaign will go towards his expertise to fully develop, mix, and master our songs to send out to YOU!
- Rentals for recording include: 12 hour tracking session at Big Red Studio, 2 inch reel to reel tape, string section (members from Portland Cello Project), and additional percussion (congas, bongos, etc.).
- A small amount of the funds will go to pay back the professional crew that helped us create the great video you see above. We were lucky enough to have these experienced film professionals using top-of-the-line equipment on our project. Our extended goal is to work with the same crew to create our dream music video for one of our songs on this album!
- Rewards will cost a small portion of the budget. But mostly this section is devoted to bringing our fans some great sound on groovy colored vinyl.
- Cost of radio ads and local and national marketing.
THE MEET UP
About a year ago, we met world class producer John Neff through our dear consultant, Lisa Lepine. As a session guitarist in the early 1970s at United Sound in Detroit (the birthplace of Motown), he played guitar and synthesizer on approximately 200 "Soul" records as they were called then, for artists as diverse as Johnny Nash, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Junior Walker, Mary Wells, Johnny Taylor, Aretha Franklin, and many others. While there, he worked under legendary Producer Don Davis, who had worked with Berry Gordy through the Golden Days of Motown and then moved on to Stax Records in Memphis, before becoming owner of United Sound Systems. These early experiences propelled John into the professional world of music and sound, allowing him to work with artists such as David Lynch, Journey, Willie Nelson, and the list goes on. Immediately after we met John, the process of making our record went forward. John's vast knowledge of soul music combined with our fresh take, will make this recording a nuanced, and yet, powerful statement.
DELIVERING FOR THE PEOPLE
Also, we've had the honor opening for national/international touring acts within the genre of soul/R&B such as; Kings Go Forth, Lee Fields and the Expressions, JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound, Nikki Hill, and WAR.
Whether you've just discovered us, or have been a fan for years, thank you for taking a look at our campaign! We've worked really hard on it!
Risks and challenges
Luckily for you, we've already tracked most of the album! If we reach our goal, we can move forward with the final tracking sessions which will include vocals, strings, organ, and extra percussion (congas and etc.) Then, we can move onto the essential mixing and mastering of "Life Lessons." The risk factor in contributing to this project is quite low. We are motivated and thrilled to work on this album and your generosity will push this project to completion!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)