About this project
The thrill of choosing is the silvery thread that weaves through this enchanting story. Become a part of the publishing team for the debut novel,THE RECOLLECTION OF TREES.
The Recollection of Trees is an urban fantasy set in 1980s Michigan, with a first-person narrative that often takes a sarcastic, humorous tone. I have approximately 300 pages written and I am in the final stages of revision.The anticipated release is November 2014.
Why I’m asking for your help:
Indie publishing can get costly. Your support will finance the final editing and proofreading, book cover design, e-formatting, printing, promotion and shipping. Thank you for your interest in The Recollection of Trees project. Please help me realize my dream by backing and/or telling your friends about The Recollection of Trees.
Why Young Adult (YA) urban fantasy?
The Recollection of Trees includes witches, shamans, ghosts, and extraordinary abilities like spell casting, mediumship and aura detection. Some reviewers may say it’s more magical realism than fantasy. Others may categorize it as paranormal or even sci-fi. The story also includes kissing, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a romance. I just hope readers put it in the must-read category!
Why I chose indie publishing:
- I’m optimistic. I have not submitted my book to any traditional publishing houses, nor have I been rejected by any publisher. The first agent I met liked my writing and praised my “strong YA voice” which she said is “a skill that can’t be taught.”
- I’m a little impatient. I carefully researched the multitude of publishing options for emerging authors, and in the end it really comes down to timing. The upside of a traditional book deal is the rare possibility of a sizable advance and the support of a far-reaching network of experienced professionals. But the downside could be waiting several months or even years for the publishing house to print and release my book.
- I’m trendy, sort of. Some of my favorite bestsellers are switching from traditional to independent, and some recently successful first-time authors started indie—and some of them have even garnered movie deals. (Maybe there’s something to this indie thing?)
- It’s cool and edgy to be an indie musician, indie artist, or indie filmmaker, but there’s a weird stigma attached to indie authors. Not only would I like to help put an end to that, but being indie honors the spirit of my book, which is about a sixteen-year-old girl who learns to trust her inner voice on her own independent path.
- I’m the busy promoter of my book whichever way I choose—indie or traditional. So, since I’m ready now and I don’t want to wait for someone else’s timing on my big dream, I chose the indie route. That said, if a traditional publisher likes my work, I’m open to having a discussion.
Why I chose soft cover and e-Books:
Hardcover printing costs = 2x the cost of softcover printing & 10x the cost of e-book formatting. Personally, it’s rare that I pay $28.95 for something I can get for $5. So, to make my book more affordable and available to a wider audience, I’m skipping hard covers. If for some reason the fundraising goal is surpassed, I might think about a limited hardcover edition.
Five reasons to support The Recollection of Trees:
1. I’d like to show my kids (and myself) that anything is possible if you believe in yourself.
2. My hard-working husband has two jobs. He is my biggest fan. Seeing me published would not only widen his gorgeous smile but quite possibly allow him to spend more quality time with us.
3. It will be fun. Several months ago I helped fund a Kickstarter campaign for a talented friend’s documentary short, and it has been really cool to get all the updates and insider details. My favorite part was seeing him exceed his goal. I did a little happy dance in my lucky Halloween socks.
4. You will show the world that indie authors are worth the read and you will be the first to get a copy (or two) of The Recollection of Trees, plus other possible fantastic rewards.
5. Whether you pledge as a backer, share my project with others, or both—I am forever GRATEFUL!
I love classic movies, crazy socks, and all things Halloween. I do my best writing while wearing lucky Halloween socks (in case you haven't noticed) and sipping a warm cup of fair trade coffee or chai.
I am the eleventh generation of my family to live in Michigan. The Recollection of Trees is inspired by my love of Michigan’s beautiful lakes, sledding hills, award-winning wineries and family farms, odd roadside attractions, and diverse blend of cultures.
I am married to the kindest, hottest man I’ve ever met. Thanks to his patience and sense of humor, we’ve survived four scary health crises, job changes, parenting challenges—and now my writing career. Our adventure includes two sons on the verge of teendom, a rambunctious coonhound, two cuddly cats, too many fish to count, plus all the neighborhood squirrels, bunnies, and birds.
Some of my favorite fictional authors include Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Zilpha Keatley Snyder, J.K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, Alice Hoffman, C.S. Lewis, Barbara Wood, John Grisham, Ann Rice, James Patterson, Willa Cather, William Shakespeare, Lucy Maud Montgomery, John LeCarre, Tom Clancy, and Paulo Coelho.
Sadie Francis Skyheart is a pen name, chosen to honor my eclectic family tree. My great-great aunt Sadie read fortunes in taverns and was one of the first women in my family to complete a college education. My grandma Francis taught me how to make excellent fudge (it’s a Michigan thing), pampered herds of poodles, and died too young. Among some of my ancestors, there is a reverent tradition of being skyclad (naked) under the moon. Although fictional, the process of writing The Recollection of Trees has been quite cathartic for me and at times my heart has felt naked, hence the last name Skyheart.
Risks and challenges
The challenge besides writing the book? Finding trustworthy, professional people to help me publish it! No worries, I've researched each one of them, including referrals from previous clients and examples of their work.
I've attempted to build in a cushion of time beyond what I believe I will need to complete the final steps of publishing, however, as I involve the editor, proofreader, photographer/cover design artist, printer, and publicity firm, there could be minimal delays beyond my control.
I intend to keep backers informed of the project's progress including any delays, but especially all the little successes along the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)