SumoBoy - Arduino-based robotics kit for education and sport
SumoBoy - Arduino-based robotics kit for education and sport
SumoBoy is the world's first mini sumo robotics kit that consists of two parts: a programmable fight robot & the prototyping board set.
SumoBoy is the world's first mini sumo robotics kit that consists of two parts: a programmable fight robot & the prototyping board set. Read more
About this project
A team of robotics experts and champions has come together to create the world’s first mini sumo robotics kit and has launched a campaign to raise money for mass production. It's becoming more and more obvious that at least basic programming skills will be essential for future professionals in almost all fields of work.
That’s why we want to send a message to the youth that electronic and programming engineering can be a fun and exciting path to choose even for complete beginners!
The SumoBoy Kit includes:
- The mini sumo robot
- Digital learning book about the fundamentals of electronics and programming behind sumo robotics
- Prototyping board with set of components (sensors, resistors, capacitors, transistors, wires, LED’s, motors)
- Power supply, USB cable
- High quality screwdriver
- Cardboard dummy that serves as the opponent when testing the robot in action
We have tried out this kit many times in different robotics hobby groups along with electronics enthusiasts and made sure this kit embodies the best mini sumo-robot experience you can get! You can own this SumoBoy kit by pledging 330$!
We have written an extensive digital learning book explaining the basics of electronics and programming behind the sumo robotics. Get started by following the basic theory and practical worksheet tasks and build your knowledge step by step!
Even if you are a complete beginner, SumoBoy kit in combination with the digital learning book is an excellent guide to the world of electronics and robotics!
And we will continue to extend and complement this digital learning book in the future to address specific topics such as basic AI concepts and other fields with increasing complexity.
The SumoBoy Kit is more than just a fight robot! We have also included the prototyping board set that serves as a perfect learning platform. It will let you understand how dozens of electronic components - LED’s, resistors, capacitors, transistors, sensors - work and how you can program and control them with the well-known Arduino micro controller.
Digital learning book will guide you through numerous circuit diagram variations and programming algorithms so that later on you can create your own fun projects. For just 90$ you can get the training kit without a robot and make your first steps in Arduino programming.
The SumoBoy team has gained extensive experience organizing youth workshops and has made the learning process as easy as possible. We have selected only the highest quality components for our learning set and removed the need for risky soldering processes.
Just take the components, place them in the correct spots, connect the board to a PC or laptop via USB cable and you are ready to start programming. The Arduino micro controller uses adapted C and C ++ programming languages, which are widely used in many real life applications, ranging from videogames to consumer electronics.
Don’t feel confident with your first steps? Remember - just download our digital learning book and you’re ready to go!
Robot sumo is a sport - where two robots attempt to push each other out of a ring (in a similar fashion to the sport of sumo). The main challenge and the excitement lies within their autonomy – they are not remote controlled during the battle. And the winner is the one with the best strategy chosen prior to the competition.
The SumoBoy team has come up with the world’s first professional mini sumobot that is already assembled and complies with industry standards. The robot kit combines best practices of the sumo robotics team with a long track of wins in all the major competitions worldwide and the best materials available for a reasonable price.
- Guntis Kulikovskis - Managing director Made his first competition robot in year 2007. Designed mechanics of the winning robots at European, Japanese and American competitions. Together with his team-mates has made robots for scientific, educational and entertainment purposes.
- Dr. Agris Nikitenko - CEO; one of the leading robotics specialists in Latvia, active researcher and lecturer, focuses on research about autonomic systems and the AI (artificial intelligence). Among the organizers of the first robotics event in Latvia.
- Gundars Miezitis - Engineer ; teacher and researcher, manager of several robotics clubs. Has won awards at the international robot competitions.
- Karlis Berkolds - Engineer - consultant. Teaches students and other enthusiasts in robot construction. Organizes electronics and robotics clubs in schools, as well as work-shops and seminars about the construction of robots.
- Einars Deksnis - Chief Engineer; team and a factual leader of the Latvian robotics team. Has represented Latvia many times in competitions in Europe, USA and Japan.
In order to succeed with our goals, we need 100 000 USD to start mass production of our robot kits. Your help and support can make our dream a reality!
Our mega reward is specially prepared for the most serious backers (pledge of 5,600$) who are ready to get involved into a real Mega Sumo robot battles. This is the latest Mega Sumo robot model, on which our champions are working on right now and it can be tailored to suite your needs and wishes! By supporting us you have a real chance to join the world's elite of Sumo Robotics!
Risks and challenges
One of the biggest risks we could potentially face is some components being discontinued by their manufacturers, which in turn could force us to redesign the board. To avoid such scenario, we constantly stay in touch with all of our suppliers. We make sure that any component supply outages won't affect SumoBoy's production.
If we were able to build robot from scratch, we sure will be able to redesign it if such necessity occurs.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)