YOUMO's modular design lets you try a variety of different power options. Conveniently charge multiple electronics while customizing the style and amount of functions you want.
Discover more flexible and fun power options than a standard power strip can offer. YOUMO gives you wireless charging, IoT capabilities, multi-USB ports, US and EU sockets all in one power set.
Build a YOUMO power set that is as sleek as all your devices, fun and colorful, and fully equipped to handle your heavy power needs.
- Choose between 7 Base cord colors and 3 different lengths.
- Add on the Solo, Triple or Fiver plug module to handle your basic electrical needs.
- Snap on the Smart module to seamlessly control and communicate with all your plugged-in devices.
- And if you want your YOUMO to have even more power functions, simply add on more modules.
As our collection of electronic devices continues to grow, so does our need for more outlets and wireless power options. YOUMO grows with your specific power needs — no more, no less. Enjoy having just the right amount of outlets and power functions. Forget about all those power strips, cords and adaptors that would just end up as electrical waste.
Power strips can be lifesavers when traveling, but not all are so travel friendly. Our power modules make convenient travel companions that can fit into any piece of luggage as separate pieces. And don't even worry about a travel adaptor: YOUMO lets you mix and match US and EU modules and Base cords together.
YOUMO's Smart module gives your plugged-in devices IoT powers: wirelessly control, monitor and communicate with multiple electronics all at once.
- Snap on the Smart module to the Base cord, add on another outlet module, then plug in your electronics.
- With YOUMO's app, you'll receive power updates and suggestions for those connected electronics from the convenience of your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
- Schedule different times for a lamp to automatically switch on each day or receive a warning message if you leave an appliance on in the kitchen.
We want to work with you to develop new power modules that will suit your specific power needs in the office, at home, in the studio, at school, and on the road. That's why we will create an open source platform that will allow enthusiasts, fellow developers and companies to collaborate with us on new modules.
Perhaps a module that gives you the temperature or creates a hologram of your out-of-office co-worker? Anything is possible! Already have a great idea for one? Get in touch, we would love to hear it!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you with more details on how we can work together.
Stage I: Available Now on Kickstarter
The following modules will get you started in building your very own YOUMO. This core collection gives you the chance to be a part of our exciting journey from the very beginning and to continue to grow your YOUMO set as we add new modules to our collection. Once our campaign is complete, we will send out a survey where you can specify your selections.
The power modules currently available include:
- BASE CORD: Choose between 3 lengths: 1.5 m [4.92 ft], 2.5 m [8.20 ft] or 4 m [13.12 ft]. Pick from 7 different colors: solid white, black, blue, red, green, yellow or black and white chevron.
- SOLO MODULE: Includes one socket and two USB ports for easy multi-charging.
- TRIPLE MODULE (Europe only): This classic European-style Triple plug strip will meet your basic multi-power needs.
- FIVER MODULE (US only): Designed for US plugs only, it gives you even more power sockets.
- MULTI-USB MODULE: Charge up to four devices at once with this handy module.
- WIRELESS CHARGING MODULE: Skip the cables completely and place smaller devices on the top surface to instantly charge up.
- SMART MODULE: Enjoy IoT capabilities by adding this module onto your YOUMO set to monitor and communicate with all your plugged-in electronics via the downloadable app.
Note: At this stage, we currently only offer Base cords and modules compatible with EU and US plug/outlet standards. If we reach our first stretch goal, we will also make YOUMO available to more countries' plug standards.
Stage II: Planned Module Collection
Some of the modules we are showing have been designed and developed, but still need final fine-tuning before we can offer them. With the success of our campaign, we will first fulfill the Kickstarter round of pre-orders. Then we will release our expanded range of modules that you can purchase online.
We also want to ensure that we build our collection based on feedback from you and the latest technology available. For this reason, we will announce the final selection of planned modules just before they are made available online.
- WIRELESS SPEAKER MODULE: Listen to music or take a call while charging up with this Bluetooth-compatible speaker.
- LIGHT MODULE: Add on this LED motion-sensor light so you can see all your plugs in a dark corner or use it as a nightlight.
- POWERLINE MODULE: Connect to good ol' ethernet (LAN) and a WiFi access point when WiFi is weak or unreliable.
- POWER SURGE MODULE: Get that extra protection against unwanted power surges by adding this module to your set.
- WIFI REPEATER MODULE: Extend the range of your WiFi network when you can't find a hotspot or have too much interference.
- SENSOR MODULE: Working with your other Smart Home devices, this module will provide even better control over room temperature, lighting and so on.
- SECURITY MODULE: Unobtrusively surveil your space via infrared or ultrasound detection methods.
- UNIVERSAL MODULE: Based on the Solo module, it will have one outlet that works with all plug standards around the world as well as two USB ports.
Start building your YOUMO from one of these rewards and add on anything from just a Solo module to more USB ports to the Smart module. Select a bigger reward to build a bigger YOUMO or build multiple YOUMOs with one of the rewards that offers multiple Base cords.
For nearly two years, YOUMO has gone through several stages of development. This has included everything from 3D design, taking apart old power strips, to numerous mechanical, electrical and material safety testing. Now we have a working prototype of a YOUMO set that has a seamless, safe interface as well as working prototypes for six different power modules. However, this is not the end, but just the beginning.
By supporting this project, you're also contributing to the future of YOUMO. Once we realize our funding goal, these funds will go towards bringing YOUMO from its current prototype stage to a power system that is ready for the global market. Your backing will help us: finalize the mechanical design and build the electrical content inside each module, get the certification required to meet all international standard safety requirements, and set up the supply chain that will turn our prototype into your very own YOUMO.
YOUMO is designed and developed in Germany by three friends from university. Our small ambitious team comes from a background in product design and development, technical engineering, material science and 3-D modeling. We live and work in both Munich — where Carsten and Tobias run their product design studio — and Berlin. Our combined knowledge and expertise has resulted in producing award-winning products and collaborations with large civil engineering companies in Germany.
Tobias Förtsch – Product Design, Visualization, 3D Modeling
Carsten Fichtel – Engineering, Technical Developement, 3D Modeling
Cornelius Schneider – Technical Development and Material Science
All base cords and modules are suitable for electrical systems operating 100-240V at 50-60 Hz.
- BASE CORD: Type B (US) or Type F (EU)
- SOLO MODULE: 1x outlet Type B (US) or Type F (EU); 2x USB ports Type A 5V, max. 2.4A per port
- TRIPLE MODULE (Europe only): 3x outlet Type F
- FIVER MODULE (US only): 5x outlet Type B
- MULTI-USB MODULE: 4x USB port Type A, 5V, max. 2.4A per port
- WIRELESS CHARGING MODULE: QI (100-205kHz): 5V 1A or PMA (277-357kHz): 5V, 1A
- SMART MODULE: Multi-standard wireless connectivity. The downloadable app accompanying it will work with iOS 8 or later and Android 5 or later.
- Base cord: Thermoplastic Elastomer and Polymer (fabric) wrapping
- Module casing: ABS/Polycarbonate blend
Belarus, Burundi, Côte d´Ivoire, Eritrea, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Congo, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Myanmar, North Korea, Russia, Ukraine, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Central African Republic and Afghanistan.
Please keep in mind: Depending on which country you live in, Backers may be responsible for paying all customs and duty fees. Unless specified, these costs will not be included in your shipping charge.
Update: Thanks to all your requests, we've been able to find a better solution for shipping and can now reduce our shipping prices worldwide.
For all existing and new backers, here are the new shipping prices:
Worldwide – 33% Less; EU – 25% Less; Germany – 20% Less
Please refer to our Reduced Worldwide Shipping Update for the full details.
Risks and challenges
To achieve our modular design, we've had to develop a completely new power connector. As a result, these new connectors have to be thoroughly tested to make sure they meet the high demand for safety that YOUMO requires as well as have ease of use and multiple functionality. For the Smart module, our team has spent the last year working with our partners on the interface technology. Now this technology is finally ready to begin beta testing and certification. While these stages are still ahead of us, we are confident that we can take YOUMO into production with a successful Kickstarter campaign.
As we continue to develop YOUMO, we promise to keep our Backers up to date via Kickstarter. We want to deliver the highest-quality YOUMO system possible, and for that reason, we may need to make some adjustments along the way. If there are any changes made during the final development phase and manufacturing process, we ensure that all our Backers will be notified immediately.
Shipment of all pre-ordered YOUMO's will begin in February 2017. We prefer to get it right and correctly factor in all predicted scenarios rather than give you a sooner date that might have to be delayed later on. Of course, please keep in mind that there are still situations beyond our control and this may warrant future adjustments to the delivery date.
- (40 days)