- Reusable. Write, dry-erase and rewrite things many times.
- Effective. Erase unnecessary things instantly and re-draw.
- Durable. Strong materials - use the same notebook for many years.
- Customizable. Reposition pages fast; change rings and covers.
- Printer-friendly. Make copies of a single sheet.
- Environmentally friendly. Consume less paper for lengthy note-making.
Esquoia is a novel notebook. It employs the necessary tweaks to improve handwriting experience and catch-up with rapid advancements otherwise happening in the world of technology. Computers and technology have advanced super fast, getting smarter and smaller. E-readers have even changed the way we read! On the other hand, it seems like the handwriting experience remains one small but vital area that stopped improving since the invention of wood pulp paper a long time ago. With the Esquoia notebook, that's no longer the case!
Some people tend to accumulate filled notebooks somewhere on a bookshelf for years. We may tend to postpone memorizing and learning things because we know they will be stored. However, we hardly ever take a look at those notes if ever at all. Esquoia promotes responsibility of learning and memorizing things at the moment of your work. Knowing that you will have to erase ideas and notes encourages you to learn without postponing. Thus Esquoia helps to improve your memory and learning skills.
Esquoia Notebook is sized 210 x 297 millimetres or 8.3 x 11.7 inches. (standard A4 paper size).
Esquoia MINI Notebook sized 148 x 210 millimeter or 5.8 x 8.3 inches (standard A5 paper size).
On success of our campaign, you will be able to choose color You Like!
Lets Begin With an Idea
With all our team members standing at the finish line of graduation, we knew form experience that it takes a lot of note-making and creative planning to solve case studies and organize ideas. We thought it would be great to have a devoted whiteboard in every classroom on campus. With whiteboards being in fact, scarce, the idea was born to bring flexible whiteboard features to a single desk notebook.
The first prototypes were single sheets of basic laminated paper. It was far from a beautiful notebook, but the start was already there. The very first prototype was just a plain sheet of laminated paper. It was not user-friendly enough for comfortable everyday use. We went further and had fun trying out mountains of different special types of paper. We continued the trial-and-error process with another bunch of paper arranged with a local printing shop on campus, as well as many other producers of paper. Finally, we came up with a smooth, high-quality surface. It provided an exciting and different writing experience. Our collection of mini whiteboards was thus created. Such a prototype could easily be fitted into a carrying bag. Actually, we used these Esquoia notebook prototypes for all further preparations for the Kickstarter campaign! Durability and practicality tests of the materials were passed with flying colors.
The sequoya (Esquoia, how we like to name them) is an amazing tree. In fact, its mind-blowing features inspired us to name our product after the tree. We think that the robustness of these trees reflects the fact that our notebooks are high-quality and durable. Below you can find just a few fun facts about sequoya trees, but we encourage you to do your own research further (hint: perhaps visiting the National History Museum would help you)!
- It might be the largest living organism on the planet.
- The fibers that make up the tree's extremely thick bark are fire resistant!
- These trees can live up to around 3000 years.
- They stood with dinosaurs. Dinosaurs vanished - sequoias survived.
Our team of four started at the university. We have long been passionate about new things and enjoy creating new ideas and improving the surrounding environment in many different ways. We started from trying to make a change around the university campus. Once we created a project of tutoring local kids and students mathematics. This idea was warmly welcomed by local families and parents. As a group of young and enthusiastic entrepreneurs we strive to make a change towards a better future. We believe that Esquoia is a project that suits the needs of saving resources. It will help people and the environment.
Valdemar is very friendly and he enjoys coming up with ideas. He has developed a huge selection of great ideas so he can pick the best ones to be turn into results. Valdemar has exceptional memory abilities and truly impressive calculation skills; these ensure fast, precise and effective development. The team can easily rely on his leadership. Being a proactive member, Valdemar can achieve remarkable results – such as the Esquoia project!
Donatas easily gets fascinated with ideas. He has an entrepreneurial spirit and made some of his ideas work during his Bachelor studies in Economics. Being a diligent member of the team he always brings value, easily adapts new challenges and strives to become a director.
Boris is a sharp and creative member of the team. He can generate many seriously good ideas. He can easily take on top-responsibility tasks, such as creating a brand name or imagining a story. Boris makes the team's brainstorming sessions as good as these can possibly get.
Daniel, co-founder, WEB Professional
A recent addition to the team, Daniel was still able to prove that the team cannot do without him. Having a company website is crucial and this is where Daniel is at his best. He brought more enthusiasm to the team and motivated other members to learn about the secrets of web development.
Specific Kickstarter Goal
For this project we want to create a perfect notebook. The final version has to be very close to what we imagine it should be like. It should be suitable for everyone to use and it should meet reliability and user satisfaction standards. Prototype testing revealed that the ideal notebook kit would consist of the following elements:
- 25 sheets of our smooth paper for a great writing experience.
- Removable ring (disc) binding.
- Front and back hard covers.
- Attractive design with carefully picked colors.
- Selection of markers with a different line thicknesses and colors.
Combining all of these components at their best possible qualities, our goal is to manufacture at least one thousand copies of reusable next-generation notebooks. The current stage of development still allows us to increase paper quality. Creating reliable covers with a nice design is important to make the Esquoia notebook reliable and pleasant to use. We still have to try different disc binding rings. Finally, we must process the binding for the first thousand copies of the Esquoia notebook.
With your help we want to enable these notebooks to spread offices and classrooms, boardrooms and home desks around the world! Most importantly, in the near future we want to extend the product line in the following ways:
- Add fastening stripe for elastic closure.
- Add a handy pocket at the internal side of the back cover.
- Produce small-sized pocket notebooks as well as A5-sized notebooks.
- Calendar notebooks would make Esquoia suitable for everyone’s New Year’s resolution!
- Producing lined, grid, plain and staff (for music writing) sheets of paper would suit more diverse needs of students, artists, busy professionals and academics.
- Producing new models with original ring (disc) binding would improve the design and differentiate Esquoia from other popular notebooks.
- Producing wider pages would allow including a folding line - the pages could easily be removed by tearing along the fold line. Then they could be fitted into a strict A4-sized folders.
- Wider pages could also provide space for punching standard holes in order to make Esquoia pages ready for sticking into a folder.
- Producing separate sheets of paper and selling them separately would allow users to replace or supplement sheets in the notebook.
Finally, we understand that everybody has a unique personality and needs. Thus introducing the online customisation of designing your own colors, pictures and pages, would make up an ultimate Esquoia. A personal notebook could be posted to a friend as a personalised gift, or created to suit your own needs in the best possible way.
Risks and challenges
Changing the way people take notes and use paper notebooks might be a difficult task. We believe In our notebooks and we are committed to the idea by developing it on a daily basis. We want to make people start sketching and/or making notes in a way they never did before. Also, we have to ensure that our notebooks pass certain quality control standards. In cases of manufacturing faults or unexpected deterioration in quality, we will do everything possible to achieve the best Esquoia quality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)