Well, there's about 3 hours to go, and although we had a great day yesterday and today it of course wasn't enough. The goal wasn't reached; but there's some numbers that I'd like to share that make me very happy--all of which due to the Kickstarter effort. Here's the before / after:
- YouTube Subscribers: ~80 / 474 and climbing
- Video Views: ~18000 / 78,419 and climbing
- FaceBook Likes: ~32 / 142 and climbing
- Rogue System-related articles: 1 / 5 (and two more in the works)
- Website Visits: ~1900 / 8553 and climbing
Plus, one Podcast (and another happening next week), as well as a new subreddit. So, while not funded, the RogSys name is rather firmly planted within the genre now and this will be crucial in the future.
Now, I made some obvious mistakes during the campaign (live and learn), other things were beyond my control. It's also too bad that promises aren't all that important to keep for some. In any case, it's all water under the bridge--so where to go from here?
Firstly, I'll return to working on Rogue System as I was before the Kickstarter (full time rFactor2 work during the day, RogSys in the evening). The difference now being that I've had some great offers of assistance that will help move things along a bit faster. With voluntary help you never know exactly how much can be provided, or when someone has to leave the project; but, some help is far better than NONE :)
As for funding, I've had a couple investment offers, but none are a certainty at this point so I can't offer any more info currently. I also can't rely on them panning out 100%--just like Kickstarter proved, nothing is a certainty until it happens. So, after thinking long and hard about it I'm going to move to a "Minecraft"-like donation model over at the RogSys website. This is what I'm thinking (assuming nothing needs to be altered for legal reasons):
- Any donation of $1.00 or more will sign you up for a monthly newsletter
- Any donation of $20.00 or more will add you to the "Test team"--giving you access to the first public PRE-alpha version through to the final Core Module release candidate
- Any donation of $20.00 or more will give you access to a private "Test Team" section of the forum where we can discuss the current test release and development ideas
- Donations can be used toward the purchase of the Core Module, and any other item, if/when released (eventually, all KS reward items will be made available, and I'll make sure they are for equivalent amounts)
- Donations are, by nature, voluntary, "at your own risk," and non-refundable. Without proper funding I can't make any promises (beyond the newsletter and use of any released public test versions) as to release dates or final content
- If full funding is found via other means (such as a large investment) your donation will still be allowed to be applied toward released items, and you will remain as a member of the "Test Team"
- Donations are not considered investments
- Donations will be used towards the development of Rogue System
- There will be a list of both short and long term funding goals, as well as a running total of donations-to-date, displayed on the front page of the website
So, let's say you donate $25 dollars, as an example. That donation would add you to the test team, with access to the test team forum area. Later, assuming the release of the Core Module and other items, you can apply your donation to their cost. I'm PLANNING a $20 cost for the Core Module, and $5 for the digital version of the Soundtrack CD. With your previous donation of $25 you could get both items at no cost. (Note: if private investment funding is found, prices may change a bit, but I'll do my best to retain that $20 price for the CM).
For the first public pre-alpha test version you will be able to walk within the Station hangar, enter your ship, take off, fly around, land, and exit the ship. But, there are a few things that have to happen before I can release this:
- Implementation of a basic front-end UI (user-interface) that allows controls to be set up easily
- First-pass implementation of final core ship-system functionality
- Proper design pass on the Station and the first player-flyable ship
- First-Pass implementation of Station Exterior
- First-pass implementation of Station hangar interior
- First-pass implementation of the first player-flyable ship
I'm implementing this funding option as many people have asked for it. I do NOT expect everyone to be excited about this plan as it involves some risk. By all means, if you do not feel comfortable with it, do NOT donate! You will still be able to receive new information and screenshots via the website to keep track of development progress, and I'd love to continue to have your input at the public area of the forums.
If full funding is eventually acquired and I can build a proper team with concrete scheduling, then I'll be able to set some solid goals that I can be held accountable for. Until then, this is my alternative for those that wish to take part in it...
- RogSys website
- RogSys Forums
- RogSys on FaceBook
- RogSys on Twitter: @RogueSystem
- RogSys subreddit
- RogSys on YouTube
Finally, I want to thank each and every one of you for all the kind words, encouragement, and generosity shown over the past 35 days. I truly wish I could have rewarded you all with a successful campaign. However, I'm very thankful and honored to have encountered such fine people!
I'd also like to thank Gjon Camaj and Joe Campana of Image Space Incorporated for allowing me to attempt this AND retain my position at ISI. Not many employers would have been as supportive!
Now, I'm going to give a few days back to my family--I certainly owe them some time. Then I'll set about finishing the rework on the new website, restructuring the forums, and getting the donation system set up. I'll send an update through Kickstarter (which I learned I can do) when everything is ready to go. I hope it won't be more than two weeks...
Rogue System WILL be made. If anything I am more motivated than ever! We're just going to have to go about it the hard way. I hope many of you will come along for the ride. I'll do my best to keep in entertaining ;)