JetGetters - Hijack Jets Midair (Canceled)
JetGetters - Hijack Jets Midair (Canceled)
Fly high in the sky and hijack other players' vehicles mid-air. A fighter hi-jacking game from the creators of No Time To Explain.
Fly high in the sky and hijack other players' vehicles mid-air. A fighter hi-jacking game from the creators of No Time To Explain. Read more
About this project
Some interesting news which we hope is as exciting for you as it is for us.
- We've decided to cancel the Kickstarter due to a delay in the JetGetters development cycle
- JetGetters is still coming out with a few month delay
- You keep your money and everyone gets the tinyBundle (all 7 of tinyBuild's games 3 of which are currently released)
During the Game Developers Conference (GDC) and the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX East) - We found an investor to assist tinyBuild in expanding our development and publishing efforts. Because of the time it will take in bringing our new partners up-to-speed and hiring on additional people for JetGetters we have decided to cancel the Kickstarter. The main reason for this is because we feel strongly that if we promise something, we better damn well deliver on it and with the few month delay we won't be able to deliver JetGetters this year.
We have a reputation to uphold and don't want to be lumped in with all the other kickstarters that have been delayed and or abandoned. Being up front and honest about everything is always what we strive for.
As mentioned above, JetGetters will still be coming out, but with a 2015 release date. What this means to you as backers is that you get to keep all your money and will still get to play JetGetters in the future!
We've also gone one step further and will be rewarding everyone with the $51 tier (all 7 of tinyBuild's games). Three of them are already released (No Time To Explain, Not The Robots and SpeedRunners). The rest will be awarded as they get released. Please use link you got in your backer e-mail up to claim them. We'll e-mail them to you in the next couple of days as Steam keys.
Speaking of No Time To Explain, during PAX East we also made a deal with Xbox to bring a remake of it to Xbox One. We'll have more on that later.
Super excited about all of this. Thanks everyone for your support! It's not really a standard situation, and while we'd like to take your money, there's an opportunity to give back to the community after our first Kickstarter, and we'd love to take it!
Luke, Tom, Alex
A game about jumping out of jets, and surfing on other jets. A fastpaced 3D multiplayer shooter, where teams of players fly high in the sky and hijack each other’s vehicles in midair.
Coming to PC/Mac/Linux on Steam
Update 2: Ouya & lowered stretch goals
We are proud to announce that because of a partnership with Ouya, we will be able to release both on Ouya and Steam at launch, and have lowered all the console stretch goals by $10-15k. Ouya is a great partner and subsidizes development costs, making our network code more cross-platform and enabling JetGetters to go to consoles easier.
Ouya will match $50k of pledges, most of which we want to invest into a solid network back-end, and towards making easier console versions of JetGetters.
Update 1: STRETCH GOALS - console versions!
- Stretch Goal $60k = Xbox One version
- Stretch Goal $70k = PS4 version
- Stretch Goal $80k = Wii U
- Players on both teams fly out of their base in fighter jets, and shoot each other.
- At any time you can eject into the sky, and free-fall through the air, aiming and shooting.
- Skydiving, you can continue to shoot, or zip towards an enemy and hijack them, throwing them out into the sky and saving you from falling to your death.
- You don’t lose any points for wrecking a jet, so have fun launching them at people, crashing them, taking risks, or ditching a damaged one. Jet fighters are an infinite resource.
- If you’re freefalling with no enemies nearby, try calling a teammate to catch you in midair! ￼￼￼￼￼￼
- You can surf a teammate’s jet and shoot behind them, or repair them to help out. If you want to both eject out and swap vehicles: go nuts!
- You can hijack not only jets, but missiles and other air-borne items too! Try steering them away, or back at an enemy, or towards a large group, or towards a team-mate.
It's a competitive multiplayer game that's fun for new players
- Steering and aiming are controlled by moving the mouse. You always fly forward (with boost/slowdown options)
- Shooting is left-click, and eject / hijack is on the right-click, with auto-aim support. Very fluid and easy to start playing.
- This game has a much less demanding list of inputs than the typical multiplayer shooter. No boring tutorial mission!
- The depth comes from mastering your options: hijacking strategic players, keeping or ditching a jet, stealing special vehicles, helping out your teammates and managing a balanced team!
- It’s very easy for individual players to grip the mechanics and have fun, but has a deeper layer of team-based strategic play focused on helping people play well togeher.
Having class-based multiplayer is a good opportunity to show off a fun list of characters, and spread a deep list of features and player abilities out across separate, digestible play sessions instead of asking players to learn everything at once.
JetGetters is a new type of game, and right now we're considering 4 game modes. This might change and evolve, and we hope the community will help us decide what to keep, add, or remove.
- Team Deathmatch
Two teams fight each other until one reaches a certain amount of deaths/kills.
Both teams need to crack open the other's base, steal their golden jet, and escort it back home in one piece.
- Kill the Rabbit
There’s one flag. Everyone needs to grab it. Everyone needs to kill whoever has the flag. You get points for holding the flag longest.
Blue team holds a giant flying stronghold, Red team must destroy it from the inside! The blue team must defend their base with mounted turrets, traps and cannons.
Any user can jump into a deathmatch game and fly around shooting down as many of the other team as possible. For players with a better understanding of how to play, though, there would also be scripted levels available with more engaging rule-sets and twists.
Example scripted level
- The blue team has a giant flying base that they must defend.
- The red team must break through their defenses and take over the base.
- This level involves hijacking defense turrets, disabling security lasers, and lots of indoor-outdoor combat. As the red team push through the base, blue team’s defenses choke down and the match gets tense up to the final barricade.
The game has been in pre-production for a year. We have worked out all of the design in prototype, and how it'll look. Think a very tropical Team Fortress, over the ocean, with red and blue fighter jets. We do not yet have a final "visual" for the game. As you can see, the trailer doesn't have shadows and is more cartoony, while the .gifs on this page have shadows and are a bit more serious. We hope the community will help us decide what's best during development.
More concept art and behind the scenes stuff will be released to backers.
$10 Treasure Chest
- JetGetters Steam key for Mac/Windows/Linux (SteamOS)
$25 High Bounty
- JetGetters Steam Key
- OST For JetGetters + No Time To Explain
$26 Speedy Secret Stash (only 500 spots!)
- Get the $50 Secret Stash reward for $26
$50 Secret Stash
- JetGetters Steam key
- Closed Beta Test Access
- EXCLUSIVE behind the scenes look at JetGetters pre-production, early prototypes, concepts and more!
$51 Speedy Treasure Island (only 500 spots!)
- Get the $100 Treasure Island reward for $51
$100 Treasure Island
- Everything above, plus...
*EDIT* We have decided to add TEN COPIES of JetGetters instead of one. So you will get TEN STEAM KEYS HERE for JetGetters, plus...
- A digital hi-res poster
- all of our other games on Steam, including...
- No Time to Explain (out now)
- Not the Robots (out now)
- SpeedRunners (out in Early Access)
- Spoiler Alert (coming this spring)
- Fearless Fantasy (coming this spring)
- BitBrawlers (unannounced)
- Lovely Planet (unannounced)
$500 Pirate King
- Get everything above, plus...
- Get a permanent spot in the Hall of Fame, accessible from the main menu of the game.
Meet the team
Also artist & developer on No Time To Explain, artist & animator on SpeedRunners. Previously developer of 30+ hilarious web games. Tom moved to the Netherlands from the UK after the release of No Time To Explain.
- Doug Walker is the consulting game designer
- Portfolio site
Doug worked at Guerilla Games for the past decade and was the senior game designer on titles like Killzone 2, Killzone 3, and most recently Killzone Shadowfall.
In june he is going indie and if we are funded, will join the team as the consulting game designer!
- Luke Burtis is the marketing guy. He's putting together all of our GDC and PAX things.
We will use the Kickstarter funds to hire development & 3d animation talent. Currently 3D animations are done by Matthijs Verkuijlen who is interning with us, and we'd love to hire him. Meanwhile Wytze de Groot is porting No Time to Explain to Unity and will switch to JetGetters when that's done. We need several more in-house people to pull it off, along with external contractors.
We've got a large office space in Hilversum, heart of the Dutch film industry. Amsterdam is 20 minutes away, Utrecht is 15 min.
The dev team is located here, while Marketing is handled in Seattle. Luke's in Seattle full-time, while Alex travels back and forth.
With No Time To Explain we learned a couple of things.
1. It's extremely important to invest into solid technology. This is why we're using Unity - it's a very powerful cross-platform development environment with great support for multiplayer games. We have already built a prototype that proves we can pull it off.
2. Distribution is king. We have a good relationship with Valve right now, and have already discussed this game concept. Unlike No Time To Explain, JetGetters will launch on Steam and will be integrated from the get-go.
Some technical details on JetGetters:
- Release on Windows, Mac and Linux with full support of the upcoming Steam Machines
- Steam controller support
- Standard (xbox) controller support
- Cross-platform multiplayer (within Steam)
- Steam cloud saves, achievements
Arguably the best part about No Time To Explain was the soundtrack. Our composer MrFuby is back to create an original soundtrack for JetGetters! We already have plenty of unreleased drafts for it might sound like, and $50-tier backers will get to hear all of it, and hear our thoughts on why some of it is great, some isn't.
JetGetters is a game that hasn't really been done before. We're not trying to follow a trend, or have any proven examples of similar games. Just Cause 2 is a single player game (with a fun yet hectic multiplayer mod), meanwhile Battlefield 3/4's crazy stunt moments are done by accident. Nobody really designed a game around stealing each other's jets mid-air. It's also a big game with lots of 3D animation/modeling/rigging work.
We feel like Kickstarter is the best place to make JetGetters possible, because it was built to make crazy, ambitious projects happen. JetGetters is both crazy and ambitious.
NOTE -- Game design is iterative, so classes may change, game modes might change, etc. Bringing out the best in JetGetters is important to us, so we will cut ideas that aren't as fun in-game as they are on-paper. This is one of the reasons we are not doing stretch goals. It will be great to get more funding for the project, but we learned from past experiences that it's always best to leave space for iteration.
Double Our Fun(ds)!
We're participating in OUYA's #FreeTheGames Fund, created by OUYA to support developers making new and creative console games. OUYA will match your pledge dollar-for-dollar up to your goal amount (and a max of $250,000), so help us get there and make a great game for everyone! To be eligible for this match, we commit that this game will be an OUYA exclusive for a period of time. To learn more about OUYA, go to www.OUYA.tv.
Risks and challenges
Like with any game development project, there are risks. Fortunately this is not the first time we're doing a Kickstarter for a game, and not the first game we're developing. There's experience involved.
The biggest risk is network code stability. We have done several online games and prototypes before - just to get a hang of how it works, and hired a dedicated person for online coding. What we don't want is have a choppy, laggy experience. This means timelines might shift. Right now we estimate a 6-month development cycle, since most of the ground work is done. However if it takes longer, we will not rush, and make sure it shapes into a good game.
We have several games live on Steam - No Time To Explain (developed by us) and SpeedRunners (co-developed with DoubleDutch Games), Not the Robots (from 2DArray), and more coming up. Our business model is based around own-development, and teaming up with other indies.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The game will cost around $20 on release
As a placeholder, we will put 20 player matches. It may be slightly more, or slightly less, depending on how the beta tests go. We expect the beta testers to help make a lot of tough game design decisions.
We expect a 6 month development cycle for the game, so launch around this Holiday Season. This is of course optimistic and can shift.
With the closed beta though, we expect to start that as early as summer. We want to deeply involve the community in it, and showoff the game with glory at PAX Prime.
We're using Unity and JetGetters will release on Windows/Mac/Linux on Steam
We came up with the idea back in 2012, right before releasing No Time To Explain on Steam. It came from Tom playing Just Cause 2, and Alex playing Battlefield 3. Both were sharing gifs from their respective games and decided to merge that into a game of our own!
Support this project
- (35 days)