by Warhorse Studios
Horse animations and system look great! Love the nudge you gave that guy while riding the horse.
Everybody sing it with me!
Aaaaa horse is a horse of course of course...
yeah now we can DRIVE around ;)
BTW, I TOTALLY want that shirt at 0:23, that is awesome.
I would like to know the range of the whistle and what path the horse will prefer? If possible. And will you be able to train your horse into something like a warhorse so it will not stop for any danger at all? If the horse also has a clothing option, how many layers will be applicable and will there be plate armour for the horse?
Awesome updates of you, every time I turn my head away from this game, you snap my neck and make me look at it again with the awesome stuff you give us. Best of luck!
How about the horse's life and stamina. And will the nxt video also cover horseback fighting. One more thing u r awsome thx for the game.
The horses are looking great! Can't wait to see the combat video update!!!
I'm very happy to see this video!
keep up the good work!
Great update, keep on the good work, guys!
Regarding horses there were some things which I didn't like in Assassin's Creed and Skyrim: it was a bit stupid that the horse came too close by calling, so I turned around and it was right in my face. Other thing if I called a horse during running, it run through me to the place where I called it even if it was farther away.
And please don't let the horse following us like a dog, ok? It is so annoying in Skyrim, to be honest I sometimes killed my horse to get rid of it. :D
So it would be cool to leave greater distance by calling and the horse should "update" on the actual position.
Pretty thrilled with the updates so far. Good communication!
Horses look great so far.
i want mindless drones :-(
Steps are a little bit to short and to frequent...
Beside that...looking good...
I simply loved it! Nice to meet another element ofthe dev team and I really liked the horse system. What about horse breeds? Are there going to be more (different stats and sizes)?
If you want to change the animations and these are only placeholders, it's going to be great!
Awesome! Can the horse kick and/or fight on its own? For example: if you are not mounted on your horse can your horse still fight alongside kind of like Skyrim? Looks great. Can't wait for the combat update.
Awesome, but why a 360 controller?
Awesome laughing man shirt boss man Dan. Also, the dev team must sweat bullets while you do the rounds carrying that sword!
Hope I will be able to ride on white female... eh... horse.
Why not a 360 controller?
Looks great so far. Keep up the good work.
It's great that the horse developer recognizes that it works much better in 3rd-person.
Collission Detection confirmed ;) Awesome update, looking forward to the combat video even more though! ;)
Great update! :)
But the mane looks really bad although it's a pre-alpha footage.... :D
Very cool, looks great for "place holders"!
I notice that when the horse collided with the NPC, it blocked its motion a bit. It is something I have seen in other games, I think the NPC should be tossed / bounce on the side, and maybe the horse decelerates, but it should not stop for a fraction of a sec and continue its motion at full speed.
I like being able to write this to the developper directly :) Rock on guys
Now to add oxes, camels, lamas and emu ^^
Will the horses have any gameplay mechanics beyond "press w to ride forward", like stamina & spurring in Red Dead Redemption or something similar? I find that horse riding tends to become rather boring without those, because it doesn't have the kind of innate inertia-calculating physics-based fun that driving cars has.
AWESOME SHIRT! Love Ghost in the Shell :)
also great video < 3 < 3 < 3
Wow that was great but I'm really excited to see a motion captured horse!other people have said and I agree the placeholder movement looks odd with the short strides. Also you guys are showing riding in third person...will this type of third person be possible in the actual game? I wouldn't mind if the whole game is first person but I could switch to third when riding horses because I'd get a chance to see my character and horse in all their glory. Thanks for making such an awesome game and asking the opinions of your fans! Can't wait wait to see the combat update :D.
Will horse armor be sold as a separate DLC :)
nice work! I like to see that there is more to the horses then a mindless people carrier. Looking good so far
F'in-A. That is sweet! Best horseback riding I've seen.
I wonder about the third-person view too (as Ian asked). I know you said first person only.
I like the idea of horses having their own minds, rather than just blindly riding into fences or walls because the player tells them to. I also liked the part where you bumped into another character and knocked him over. :-D
Awesome. Looking good so far.
Your name is Warhorse Studios, so why not warhorses also in game :)
I am not sure, the horse would struck down walker in real as is showed in video, better would be the horse will try to avoid the walker when walking or cantering...Also the walker would like to jump away rather to be overrided ;)
Thx for this game ;)
2:03 poor peasant :D
Looking great, and want to see the mounted combat too
oosh! I get more excited with every update. Horses already look really good, better than Skyrim already for sure. I like that the horse has a little bit of its own Ai. All the features mentioned sound great. I think it would not be a bad idea to allow the player to switch to 3rd person view while riding if they choose to though. Either way looking amazing, super excited! Keep em coming guys :D
Can't wait for MLP:FIM mod : p You know it's coming.
Coool! Thanks Dev guys for video updates! You're really doing a great job!
It's great!. I've been riding horses for three years now, and jumping with them, and this is, by far, the most realist depiction of a horse in a game. A couple of hints/suggestions (note that I'm not requesting that the game has these features, because you are not doing a hardcore "horse experience" simulator, only hints for the developers, just in case they might consider them useful):
- Horses should react in fear depending on the training of the horse. An untrained, young colt could even run in panic from a branch moving suddenly behind him (it could be a predator! A wolf!). A seasoned, war trained horse wouldn't flinch for the same stimulus, and could stay its ground in front of a wolf (provided there's a rider keeping him in place... if not, again, horse would probably flee).
- They read body language (even humans) very well and are able to distinguish when someone comes with obvious bad intentions (keyword here is obvious and evident, unless the human is smart and disguises those bad intentions). This could trigger a "flee" response, if the horse is too young/inexperienced.
- Jumps. Optimum jump capability is, usually, when going at medium speed. Too slow, and the horse doesn't have enough inertia to jump. Too fast, and the jump trajectory would be too flat to jump over a high obstacle. You can see abundant jumping videos in youtube, and see how the highest obstacles are usually jumped at medium speed. I don't know if you plan to add this in game, but it could be nice to have to adjust the speed of the horse if you want to jump over a high obstacle.
- The best way to jump is perpendicular to the obstacle. Say you are trying to jump over a wall, and you come at it in a too oblique path. The horse doesn't know you want to jump that wall. For him, at a too oblique path, the best path is simply avoid the jump and keep running on that side of the wall.
- Horses cannot gallop forever. You can obtain "sprint" like speed probably for 3 or 4 miles; above this you can force him to run for longer, but you risk to kill him, and it's a real risk. But at trot or light canter, you can virtually go for hours.
- That being said, horses have different temperaments. A hot horse with open space, he is going to feel "the joy of running", and you're going to use all the strength in your arms just to get him to moderate speed. A cold/lazy horse with a wide open space, and you can destroy your own legs spurring him to go a little faster than walking. This could be modeled.
- Loss of inertia when "charging". See this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch… If you go to 1:25 you are going to see in a couple of seconds what happens when a horse "charges" against a not-light person. It slows... a little bit (and I feel the horse was slowing a little bit even before hitting the guy).
- Also, in last video, you can see what happens when a horse is in fear. Other horses around and near are going to be nervous and uneasy, because they see a horse in panic (that's the reason all the horses are being held by hand). They think that if the other horse is in fear, then there must be a reason for that. There could be a predator (an evil wolf!!!) around, but they haven't seen it. This is, in horses, fear is contagious. Suddenly, a horse falls in panic for whatever (sometimes stupid) reason, and since they read body language very well (it's their main way to communicate), in less than a second all horses around know that that horse is in panic, and of course, they begin to feel fear too. I've been in a lot of horse riding classes in which, out of five or six horses (and riders), the last horse suddenly feels afraid of whatever (for example... a plastic bag flying around, yeah, sometimes it's as stupid as that), and way before any rider knows nothing, the FIRST horse in the column has jumped because he has felt the fear in the last horse, and has unseated his rider (and then, depending on the horse, you could spend up to several minutes trying to catch/calm that horse).
I don't know if this is going to be useful or even if it's going to be added somehow in the game, but I felt it was worth sharing it. :)
This is astounding... wonderful. I don't think of myself being someone who attaches high importance to graphical issues in a computer game, but this time I'm really impressed. Some scences are hard to distinguish from reality... If the overall gameplay of the final product will match the graphics, then this game will be the one I've always waited for.
Wonderful job so far, folks... thumbs up!