About this project
We are very excited to be working with Aporta Games to publish this new adaptation of their hit game, Avenue. Avenue was released at Essen 2016 and the English language version of the game quickly sold out when it reached US stores. We've brought Avenue into the universe of Kodama and added a few twists to make this great game even more enjoyable.
The enchanted forest of the kodama is flourishing. But with so much growth, the ancient paths to the sanctuaries within have become overgrown and lost. Now the forest guardians call upon you, their loyal kodama, to restore these paths. Help your kodama build these paths, gather offerings for the guardians, and win their favor.
Kokoro is an exciting family game that can be played with up to eight players (thank you for unlocking the stretch goals)! Each player has a forest map to draw their paths and turns are simultaneous so the game plays quickly. Connecting your sanctuaries to offerings will gain you favor. Choose wisely because you never know exactly when the sanctuary will score. And you shouldn't be too greedy, if a sanctuary is not connected to more offerings than your previous sanctuary, you lose points!
And we are very confident that people that enjoy Kodama will love Kokoro, so we are including a special set of Kodama cards in each copy of Kokoro sent as rewards for this project.
Note - the Kodama & Decree cards shown here are included in the Spirit Compass ($19) and higher Pledge levels. The Kodama Deluxe Cards are a different set of promo cards (detailed below) and are included in Grove Companion ($26) and higher pledge levels.
Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama is a game for 2-8 players that plays in 15 minutes. Designed by Eilif Svensson and Kristian Amundsen Østby, and originally released as Avenue. Kokoro includes all the rules of Avenue, but with dry-erase boards instead of paper scoring sheets. Kokoro also introduces a new "B-side" forest map, with a variable set-up that gives you 90 different starting configurations.
And as our first stretch goal, we are introducing a new mechanic - decrees. Decrees give everyone new path drawing option(s) and/or scoring rule(s) for each game. With the dry-erase boards, random set-up and decrees, you can play as much as you want and always face a new challenge.
For more information, we encourage you to view the videos directly below, or simply read our draft rulebook here.
These reviews were originally posted for Avenue - Kokoro is the same game, but also includes two expansions with more options to increase replayability.
Note that anything marked with these symbols are:
Promo - an item that Kickstarter backers (and those signed up to get rewards at Essen) will get in their rewards, and will not be included in the retail edition of Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama. These items may be released at a future date as promotional materials and/or game expansions.
Kickstarter Exclusive - an exclusive item for Kickstarter backers (and those signed up to get rewards at Essen), with remaining stock available through conventions and special promotions only.
- Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama is the 38th project from the combined teams behind Indie Boards and Cards & Action Phase Games. With the successful execution of our first 37 projects, we have become experienced publishers with a reputation for great games (in design and production) that are delivered in a timely fashion.
- Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama is a proven game, Avenue designed by Eilif Svensson and Kristian Amundsen Østby. We've made this great game even better so you know the game experience you are getting.
- This game has undergone extensive testing and development to ensure the best possible experience. We are confident that this game will be in your collection for years to come.
- The game features art from the incredibly talented Kwanchai Moriya (Kodama: The Tree Spirits, Capital Lux, Catacombs, and Dinosaur island).
- All of the art assets are complete and ready for immediate upload after the project funds. Prices include US shipping.
- This project is also EU & Canadian friendly.
Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every month, tens of thousands of people pledge millions of dollars to creative projects in dozens of categories.
A person who supports a project is called a "backer." The process of giving money to this project is called a "pledge."
In return for your pledge, we (the creators of the campaign) are able to offer "rewards," depending on the amount you pledge. For example, if you pledge $19 to help back the project, we'll offer you a copy of the game along with any stretch goals we achieve as soon as it is manufactured.
You can become a backer in just three easy steps:
- Step 1: Read through the pledge levels and rewards we're offering in the right sidebar of this page.
- Step 2: Click the large, green "BACK THIS PROJECT" button to the right of the trailer video at the top of this page.
- Step 3: Enter your pledge amount, and complete the steps for filling in your information. This process takes just a few seconds! That's it! It's really that simple! Thank you for backing!
Once you've backed this project, we encourage you to share this page on social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, and share with your friends and family. Also, be sure to like Indie Boards and Cards on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for real-time updates about this project and more!
- FOREST CROSSROADS: (Pledge $1 or more) Thanks for the support!
- SPIRIT COMPASS: (Pledge $19 or more) One copy of Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama with all stretch goals. Shipping included in the US. Other shipping pledge rates based on location. For additional copies in the US and international, check our rates below.
And we also have added pledge levels with extra Kodama content for those that might have missed that Kickstarter project.
- GROVE COMPANION: (Pledge $26 or more) One copy of Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama with all stretch goals and one set of Kodama Deluxe Cards. Shipping included in the US. Other shipping pledge rates based on location.
- WOODLAND PARTNER: (Pledge $39 or more) One copy of Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama with all stretch goals, one copy of Kodama: The Tree Spirits, and one set of Kodama Deluxe Cards. Shipping included in the US. Other shipping pledge rates based on location.
Our plan is to have Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama available at Essen. While our current production schedule looks like Kickstarter rewards will ship out before Essen, it may be the case that we have games at Essen before the Kickstarter backer copies are sent. It may also be the case that we are unable to get games to Essen in time. I wish we were able to absolutely guarantee results, but we simply know that we can't make such commitments when so many other parties are involved in the process.
If you want Essen pickup – DO NOT PLEDGE FOR THIS PROJECT – all you have to do is sign up for the Essen email list by giving an email address here. Shortly before each event, we will ask you what you would like to reserve for Thursday pickup (NOTE: we cannot handle prepaid reservations or hold items past Thursday).
All the specials & promo items will be available in the games we bring to Essen – your support is very valuable to Indie Boards and Cards & Action Phase Games and we look forward to seeing you again this year with lots of great new games.
Risks and challenges
This is the 38th Kickstarter project from the combined teams behind Indie Boards and Cards & Action Phase Games. We have learned how to streamline the game publishing process and have successfully delivered all of our previous Kickstarter projects to thousands of supporters. Our previous experiences will enable us to also deliver this project on time and we have every confidence that Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama will be on schedule and of the highest possible quality.
That said, there are always complexities and considerations in a project of this scope that may cause delays. Indie Boards and Cards & Action Phase Games will use contract manufacturing to make this game, freight forwarders to get games through customs, and 3rd parties like Amazon, the US Post Office, and FEDEX to ship the games to you – we don't control everything and there are lots of opportunities for delay. We have a track record of making everything work out for backers in the end – so please be confident and supportive of our efforts to get this great game into your hands.
We can refund you within 14 days of the campaign’s end, fees included. After that, we have a policy of no questions asked, though that’s minus 20% for Kickstarter and payment processing fees (which we can’t get back from them after 14 days). However, if we’ve begun packaging your pledge for shipment (usually 4 to 6 weeks before the actual shipping date), no refunds are possible. If a component cannot be delivered AT ALL, we refund that completely, including fees.
All refunds after the 14 days close of the campaign may be processed via PayPal or reversed via Stripe to your credit card at our discretion. Refunds within 14 days are reversed via Stripe to your credit card.
This project is being funded in USD and any refunds processed will be in USD for the exact amount received in USD, excluding any applicable fees depending on the time of the refund being processed.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By pledging to this project, you acknowledge that the final look, materials, and content of the rewards (and the project) are subject to change and may differ substantially from what is presented while the Kickstarter project was active.
If you do not log in and submit your project survey results (ie, provide us with your shipping address) for your pledge within 8 weeks of our notification, you agree that we have fulfilled our obligations to you in full for payment or donations received. However, we may, at our discretion, refund or ship your pledge (at additional cost for international backers) if you complete your project survey after the 8-week window has elapsed.
If you do not accept these terms, please do not pledge on this project but instead wait for the general release.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (19 days)