Pigtails #1: A Martial Arts, Action Comic in Black and White
Pigtails #1: A Martial Arts, Action Comic in Black and White
When Soo-jin's parents are murdered, she uses her martial arts training and her beauty to find out who was behind their deaths.
When Soo-jin's parents are murdered, she uses her martial arts training and her beauty to find out who was behind their deaths. Read more
About this project
Pigtails is a martial arts, action-adventure starring Soo-jin Kang, a 22-year-old Korean woman starting a career in Chicago. Her story of love, loss, and redemption in this first issue will be told in black-and-white across 22 pages.
I wrote the 3-issue series based on an idea my wife had, and this Kickstarter is to help get the first issue printed (with 2 variant covers) and provide some compensation to the AMAZING artist, Ming Wang. Besides the interior art, he also did the 2 black-and-white covers! Ming’s ability to convey deep emotion with simple techniques convinced me he was perfect to illustrate Soo-jin’s journey without needing color.
I’ve also teamed up with the wonderful artist Janet Lee (Lost Vegas, Return of the Dapper Men, various Marvel comics) to provide a fun variant cover! I’ve followed her work for a number of years and knew she could deliver a variant to fit the theme and atmosphere of Pigtails.
WHAT'S DONE, WHAT'S TO COME
Issue #1 is completed, along with Ming’s variant covers. Janet’s cover will be revealed during the campaign’s first week. That means, of course, you’ll get everything in your hands much sooner without waiting for the main art to be completed! When the Kickstarter finishes, the pages will be sent to the printer. On average, it takes 2-3 weeks to receive the comics, but because I’m initially printing much more than my last Kickstarter (Lilacs) and having quantities of two variant issues, it will take at most another week or so. But that’s not bad at all! I choose a September delivery date to be safe, to allow a comfortable cushion. Based on my experiences with my previous Kickstarter for Lilacs and working with other campaigns, you may see Pigtails and your rewards much sooner than September!
The PIGTAILS STORY
Soo-jin Kang is 22 years old and preparing to take on a new role as a marketing representative for a makeup company looking to expand in the United States. However, she must leave all that's familiar in South Korea behind: her parents, friends, brother. It's a sad and stressful part of becoming an adult, but Soo-jin knows it's the best thing for her.
It takes three days after arriving in Chicago for her world to collapse. Soo-jin encounters Chin-hwa, an inspector who's traveled all the way from South Korea to tell Soo-jin her parents have been murdered. Although she promises the Inspector she'll remain a bystander, she doesn't have confidence Chin-hwa will succeed in finding out who killed her parents. Soo-jin is going to rely on her martial arts skills and her beauty to find the answers she wants.
The Main Cast
MEET THE TEAM!
I am a science fiction/fantasy/horror writer with publishing credits in Aphelion Webzine, Concisely, Dark Gothic Resurrected, Midwest Literary Review, The Fringe Magazine, and more. I have pieces in various anthologies, including Steampunk Anthology (story was nominated for an award), and Welcome to Hell, western-horror anthology edited by Eric S. Brown. Novels include Nightcry, The Golden Door, Horde, Indiscriminate, and My Only One. My latest novel, Grandmother, was released in December 2016 from Fear Front Publishing. I have 2 comic shorts appearing in 2 horror comic anthologies in summer and fall 2017. In April 2016, I ran a successful Kickstarter to fund my one-shot horror comic, Lilacs. I am currently a staff writer for Affinity Press, working on 4-issue action comic series.
Ming Wang is a graduate from the School of Visual Arts and currently lives in Brooklyn. He likes to read manga and watch anime when not drawing and somewhere finds the time to collect lots of Gundam model kits and Figma action figures.
Janet Lee was the artists for Image Comic's LOST VEGAS which Jim McCann wrote. This reunited the team responsible for the Eisner-Award-Winning graphic novel RETURN OF THE DAPPER MEN. Janet was also artist for Marvel's adaptations of the Jane Austen classics Emma and Northanger Abbey, as well as several anthologies.
NOW TO THE GOOD STUFF: REWARDS.
The list is big. Each reward tier grows a little bit bigger than the one before it. You have the opportunity to get books, comics, custom art, custom haikus and short stories, Pigtails branded merchandise, variant covers, and more! However, EVERYONE gets a hearty thank you in some form or another.
Besides the digital and physical copies of Pigtails you can get, you'll also be able to get copies of my novels and ebooks! There is even on ebook written under a pen name...and it is a romance! I have also included my previous comic, Lilacs as an item in most of the reward options.
For the custom work, you will see two different kinds. Writing and art! The custom haikus and custom stores will be written by me, and can be about nearly anything you want. Stuck on an idea? I can also ask you questions and base the haiku or story from that! The art will either be sketch cards (about 2x3 size) or something larger (about 8x10). Note: for any of the custom work, you must keep it clean if you are presenting an idea.
The $300 reward has something VERY unique. If you want the original artwork for Janet Lee's Variant Cover, grab this tier! There is only 1 available!
Custom haikus will be written on sketch cards and mailed. Custom stories will be emailed to you as PDFs. For custom artwork, a digital copy will be emailed to you, but you'll also receive the original in the mail.
Here's a quick rundown of the books:
- Nightcry: Grant returns to his hometown to run the local newspaper, but soon, bodies start to appear and all evidence points to Grant that he murdered them. So he must get people to believe it wasn't him, but someone or something else.
- The Golden Door: Each day for weeks, two boys, 14 and 9, watch their father paint a door in their house gold. The boys are told never to go in there. But one day they decide to open the door to find out the real reason their father is doing that. The truth had its price.
- Horde: Some things are worse than zombies. Horde is novella about five survivors escaping from a large group of zombies. After hearing the converted tornado siren and watching a mass exodus from the campground that has served as home for three months, Percy, Jack, Harry, Melody and Joann make a decision to move further into the state park to find solace from the undead. However, as they move deeper into the forest, a discovery awaits them that is more horrific than what is chasing them. About Horde 2: Greener Pastures, the sequel to Horde, continues the journey of a small group of survivors in a world overrun by zombies. In Horde 2, the survivors face a new threat, which forces them to return to the city that once was their home to seek out shelter and maybe a solution for the world.
- My Only One: In the future, you're allowed to own one book. Only one book. When a man's daughter steals a second book, he scrambles to return it without getting caught. In doing so, he learns secrets of the dystopian world that could change how everyone lives.
- Indiscriminate: With only 300,000 people left in the world, twelve cybernetically-enhanced humans protect the world from violent creatures who are trying to infect the remaining population.
- Moderia: An epic horror poem about a man who plans to travel to an island he doesn't think exists. He finds it and learns the tales of monster and supernatural beings are true.
- The Tree: A old man has never had a Christmas tree, and his realtor decides to change that. If you like sugary, Hallmark Christmas stories, this one is right up your alley.
- Dial Tone: William has recently lost his wife and shows signs of becoming severely depressed. His friends talk him into going to a medium with the special ability to talk to the dead...not through her, but through a rotary-dial phone she has possessed for many years. Apprehensive and hopeful, William visits the medium and is thrown into a supernatural world beyond anything he could ever comprehend.
- At the Lake (as Veronica Colbeck): Kari has suffered inconceivable blows to her personal and work life. So she decides to take some time away and go to Winter Lake, where she's been visiting every year with her father. For the past three years he's been unable to make it. Once at Winter Lake, Kari meets Fielding, a new resident who runs the tour around the lake. He manages to get her to go to dinner with him, and he tells a story about the area that no one knows. Followed up with a question that will perplex her about her future.
- Underneath the Trees: A simple collection of poems that deal with love, despair, confusion...pretty much what poets have been writing about for years.
- Lilacs: Max is ready for the next step in his life: a big promotion at work. Except on the day of his interview, he’s late and in a rush. A chance meeting with a lady selling flowers sets to change Max’s life forever. Lilacs is a tale of fate and decisions driven by seemingly harmless flowers. Lilacs: The flowers tell a different story.
- Grandmother: Samuel’s grandmother has visions about peoples’ futures. The frightening ones are more frequent these days, and she wants them to stop. An unknown evil presence is pushing for the haunting visions to come to fruition, and his grandmother is too old to fight back. Samuel vacations at his grandmother’s home, yearning for the solitude of small town life. During his stay, however, he discovers a family secret that forces him to reluctantly risk his own life to help his grandmother.
WHERE'S THE MONEY GOING TO GO?
I appreciate you pledging your hard-earned dollars towards Pigtails. So you should know exactly where the funds are going, right? Having everything done makes it easy to tell you how much is going where. Most important is to make sure the artist and printing were top priorities. Rewards are important too, but I already have many rewards on hand. Then there’s the Kickstarter fee percentage. If you like graphs, then just look below:
Would like you guys to note that if you are U.S. based and pledging a tier that is ONLY getting a comic, shipping is free ($7-$15 tiers).
And to let everyone know, anything leftover will go towards making issue #2! If you have any questions about this project, don't hesitate to contact me.
Risks and challenges
While I can’t see the future, I believe having the comic completed and many of the rewards already in my house greatly minimizes any obstacles. The biggest risks in doing a comic is: will the printer come through in a timely manner, is it formatted correctly, or will the delivery service jostle the box around so badly the comics get damaged. But those are controllable problems and can be fixed.
I feel with my experience and attention to what’s required BEFORE files are sent, even more obstacles are avoided. Plus, having a successful Kickstarter already under my belt and being involved with other successful ones gives me more and more experience for other campaigns. All that combined gives you, the backer, confidence in me delivering your comic and rewards on time!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)