Welcome to my kick-starter for my project 'the nomad barber'
I've been barbering for 10 years and i'm currently in the final stages of preparation for my trip.
I'd really really love to take a cameraman on the road with me to expand the visual journey for all the viewers watching.
I want to show the world how proud barbers are of our trade and to show everyone it isn't a dying art but it's stronger than ever and we love what we do.
Please help any way you can
I'd realllllllllly appreciate it.
Thank you so much
THE PLAN - The journey begins on June 12th 2013, ten years to the day that the Nomad Barber began his career in the world of barbering. He will fly to Turkey, the gateway of the Middle East, to begin a pilgrimage over 12 months to uncover the secrets and history of barbering and male grooming worldwide. His aim is to work with and learn from fellow barbers in over five continents, discovering how a trade, which dates back to 3500 B.C., varies across the globe. Traveling on a budget by land, sea, or flight with an unstructured itinerary, his checkpoints are as follows;
1. Turkey - Looking at Traditional shaves and ear hair singeing in the Grand Bazaar
2. India - Hunting down and learning about head massages from Indian YouTube sensation ‘Baba’ the Cosmic Barber
3. Australia – Australian’s, famous for their laid back lifestyle and surf culture, he will be looking at working down near Bondi Beach in celebrity men’s hairdressers ‘Patrick’s’
4. United States – The birthplace of many infamous haircuts, from Hollywood to the back streets of Brooklyn, he will discover the traditions of the American barbershop culture
5. Brazil – Arriving in Rio in time for the World Cup (6.12.14), birthplace of Ronaldo, famous for being awarded the worst haircut in football history, he plan to recreate this haircut on a willing victim
With little money in his pocket, the Nomad Barber plans to use only his skills as an award-winning London barber to pay his way – trading haircuts for food, travel, accommodation and everything else in-between. Throughout his travels he will be chasing his dream, cutting hair across the globe while meeting fellow barbers and recording the whole journey. He aims to cut hair in as many different barbershops across the globe while using the social aspect of the barbershop to talk to people from all walks of life. He plans to achieve this by setting up shop at any given opportunity whether it is on the street side, in parks, on the beach or in other picturesque locations. Setting out to uncover the secrets and stories of everyone he meets, from barbers to locals and other travelers, this is bound to be an unprecedented adventure of a lifetime.
Risks and challenges
The date is set for my trip so I plan to work hard to get additional sponsorship to take a professional cameraman with me on my trip, to make it become the production I believe it deserves to be.
So I will do my utmost best to overcome any problems over the next couple of months.
This is my ultimate goal and dream.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)