G.I. Joe® * is one of the most recognizable and well known action figure lines in history, yet there is no full story showing the creation process of the G.I. Joe®: A Real American Hero™ brand that ran from 1982-1994.
What are you pledging towards?
The release of "3.75 Inch Joe: The Special Forces Team that forged an American Hero" book series, Volume 2!
The second book in the series, “3.75 Inch Joe: The Special Forces Team that forged an American Hero (Volume 2)” is an 80 page, 9”X10” library of designs and stories ranging from 1982-1994, including some unproduced concepts! This fully colored book will be printed on 100# paper in a Soft Perfect Bind format with a visible spine like a graphic novel. Although there have been many books written about G.I. Joe®, what makes "3.75 Inch Joe: The Special Forces Team that forged an American Hero" series unique is the fact that the information shared within the book comes from exclusive interviews with former employees who worked on the G.I. Joe® brand. Some of the things to expect include:
• The inspiration and influences behind the different figures and vehicles straight from the designers' point of view...
• Alternate names for figures and vehicles pulled from Larry Hama's dossiers or from the original concepts themselves...
• Insider stories from former employees ranging from Marketing to Engineering regarding the changes that occurred during the design process...
• Conceptual designs and photographs that will show the progression and different stages of creating a figure or vehicle. This includes concept pencils and inks, sculpture sheets, color studies, color presentation art, models, and much much more!
Which characters and vehicles will be included in Volume 2?
•Cobra Commander (82'/83' release) • Cobra Missile Command • Short-fuze• Snake Eyes (82'/83' release) • Snake Eyes (cont.) and RAM • H.I.S.S. (83' release) • H.I.S.S. Driver • Snow Job • ASP and CLAW • Spirit (84' release) • Storm Shadow (84' release) • Bazooka (85' release) • Lady Jaye • Lady Jaye (cont.) and Snow Cat• Frostbite • Alpine• Eel (85' release)• Conquest • Slip-Stream • Zandar • Zarana • Jinx and Gung-Ho (87' release) • Blizzard • Road Pig • Secto-Viper and Cobra Bugg • Deep Six (89' release) and Hot Seat • Raider • Pirahna • Rampart and Topside • Snow Serpent (91' release) and Incinerator • Shark 9000• Nomad (unreleased vehicle concept) • Lotus and Soviet (unreleased figure concepts)
- Cobra Commander (2 separate spreads…4 pages total)
- Snake Eyes (2 separate spreads…3 pages total)
- Lady Jaye (2 separate spreads…3 pages total)
Which characters and vehicles were included in Volume 1?
• V.A.M.P. • Clutch • Cobra and Cobra Officer • Sky Striker (2 separate spreads…4 pages total) • Ace • Major Bludd • Duke • Mutt • Shipwreck • U.S.S. Flagg (2 separate spreads…4 pages total) • Keel-Haul • Dial-Tone • Roadblock (86’ release) • Night Raven • Night Raven(cont.) w/ Strato-Viper • Cobra Commander (87’ release) and Raptor • Gyro-Viper • Mamba • Tunnel Rat • Desert Fox • Skidmark • Destro (88’ release) and Voltar • Hit & Run • Countdown and T.A.R.G.A.T. • Capt. Grid-Iron and Metal-Head • Dictator and Interrogator • Overlord • B.A.T (91’ release) and Snake Eyes (91’ release) • Cross-Country and Outback (93’ release) • Scorpion and Tarantula (unreleased vehicle concept) • Apach (unreleased Dreadnok character concept) • Scottish Trooper (unreleased character concept) • Nav Station and Uni Copter (unreleased vehicle concepts)
Exclusive to this Kickstarter, Steel City Publishing, LLC will be featuring 2 different 11”X17” prints featuring some of your favorite characters! One is titled "Family Business" featuring Zandar, Zartan, and Zarana. The other is titled "Arctic Patrol" and features Blizzard, Frotstbite, and Snow Job! See below:
Where did this project come from?
Why do we need this book?
According to New York Toys and Hobby World, the 1985 series of G.I.Joe was ranked the best selling toy in America. The Complete Encyclopedia to G.I.Joe, by Vincent Santelmo, states it was estimated that, “Hasbro sold the equivalent of two G.I.Joe/Cobra series figures to every boy in the nation between the ages of 5-12” in 1986”.
When it comes to the G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero era, there have not been books produced like the ones I have completed and the ones I continue to work towards releasing. When you look at society today and the draw toward collecting, many people prize things they either owned or have fond memories of from their childhood. It does not matter what people collect, people like to revisit their childhood and escape from reality and the stresses of today’s world. For those of us who played with G.I.Joe in the 1980s and 1990s, my book will allow you to tap into those memories and appreciate the amount of creativity, time, and energy it took to make G.I.Joe: ARAH an iconic toy brand.
Do you need to be a G.I.Joe enthusiast to enjoy this book?
The answer is simply, no. This book appeals to anyone who enjoys learning the process of toy design, industrial design, product design, engineering, marketing, as well as many other disciplines involved in developing a product. It should also appeal to fans of the comic industry seeing that several of the designers who worked on G.I.Joe in the late 1980s and into the 1990s were graduates of The Kubert School, a school founded by comic artist and teacher, Joe Kubert!
What is the plan and what is the schedule?
Once the campaign is funded, the pledges will take approximately two weeks to process. Once they have been processed, the order will then go to the printer, who will need 3-4 weeks to print the book. Books and prints will be fulfilled by Steel City Publishing, LLC following the same time frame as shipping for the book.
Publisher Information and Copyright Information
Images shown were provided by those who worked on the G.I.Joe brand and by collectors.
Risks and challenges
I don't expect any delays with the printer. If there are any delays, everyone will be updated.
Due to any unforeseen circumstances after the cutoff date of April 18, 2016 for which Steel City Publishing, LLC needs to cease selling the book, a full refund will be provided.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (16 days)