Hello! I am a freelance illustrator based in Knutsford, UK. My artwork is inspired by my passion for animals and my love of folklore and fantasy. I aim to use my work to raise awareness about endangered species with my work, and promote caring for the environment by keeping my packaging as green as possible.
This is my first ever Kickstarter campaign and I hope to fund my first illustrated picture book - something I've wanted to create for years! My idea for the A-Z alphabet of Feliformia came about several years ago whilst I was still in university. You may recognise the first page I created back in 2012...
It was the binturong of course! One of my all time favourite animals. Since then my style has come a long way and I've been working on illustrations of 26 feliforms, one to cover each letter of the alphabet. This has been a side project that I have juggled alongside other illustration work over the last few years. But first a quick explanation of what 'Feliformia' is!
All living plants and animals are organised by how closely related they are and how long ago they evolved and changed from one another. The order Carnivora consists of meat-eating mammals, and it is split into two suborders: Caniformia, “dog-like” and Feliformia, “cat-like”. These groups include of a diverse range of carnivorans both small and large, which live in all kinds of habitat from tundra to desert. Feliformia doesn’t just include the obvious cats such as lions and tigers though, it also includes lots of cool animals you might not expect such as hyenas and mongooses!
The book will be a soft back A4 size 32 page picture book with full colour illustrations. This includes 26 pages each featuring a different feliform with a couple of interesting facts as well as their status on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species which indicates how endangered they are.
I've also designed a new range of merchandise to support the book! Take a look at the new products below for a sneak peak of more feliforms from the book.
- 4 designs available
- Made from a high quality 100% cotton (5oz weight)
- Measures approx 37 cm x 42 cm with long handles
- Eco-Friendly! Printed in the UK using eco-friendly inks onto tote bags made in a Fairtrade factory, with cotton produced from a sustainable crop
- 3 designs available
- Printed in the UK
- Microwave and dishwasher safe
- Lovely thick mug, approximately 9.2 cm in height and 8 cm diameter
- Each one will be sent out in a sturdy gift box
- 2 designs available
- High quality vegan cushion cover. The print is beautifully vibrant and the finish is super soft!
- Covers are approx. 45 cm x 45 cm and zip closed along the bottom
- The reverse of the cushion is charcoal colour
- Machine washable at 30°C
- Printed in the UK onto faux suede using eco-friendly inks
- Please note to minimise postage costs this is a cushion cover only (does not include a filler cushion)
- Soft enamel wildcat pin will be 35 mm at it's widest point, with metal clutch fixings on the back
- Xenosmilus badges are 38 mm with a steel pin back
- All of the 26 feliforms from my book will be available as a print. If the project is successfully funded you will be able to choose your print at the end of the campaign
- Prints are available in A4 (297 mm x 210 mm) or A3 (420 mm x 297 mm)
- Printed onto thick ivory coloured FSC certified card
- A4 prints will be posted flat in a protective biodegradable sleeve backed with cardboard, and A3 prints will be posted rolled inside a sturdy postal tube
- All prints will be signed on the reverse
- Original pencil drawings come in a black frame
- These are UK only and will be posted by special delivery
Some of the products available on this campaign will eventually be available from my Etsy store. By supporting this campaign you will not only be getting these products earlier than anywhere else, but also at a lower price.
In the exciting case that I'm able to exceed my goal of £600 and hit my first stretch goal of £800 I will add binturong soft enamel pins to the products available! These will be available to anyone who has already pledged for an enamel pin - you will be able to select which pin you would prefer at the end of the campaign.
If I'm able to reach £1,000 I will create a Feliformia Appreciation Club Patch and everyone who has pledged £12 or more will receive one as a huge thank you for being so awesome and supporting my project!
If these targets are met I will publish previews of how the binturong pin and the patch will look.
Other ways to support my project
I understand that not everyone has the spare pennies to spend, but you can also help support my campaign by sharing it with friends and family and through your social media. All your support is hugely appreciated, thank you!
You can also follow me on my social media:
This project has been a long time in the making and it would be incredible to finally see it come to life. Thanks so much for taking the time to check out my campaign!
Risks and challenges
I will be sourcing a printer for my book within the UK. I will work closely with my chosen company to ensure the book is printed to a high quality standard. There is a potential risk that this could cause delays should any problems arise, such as receiving samples that I am not 100% happy with. The book itself is low risk as I have already completed the content.
I already have most of the merchandise in stock, so there is no risk in this causing delays unless the campaign is so successful that I sell out of some things and have to order higher quantities. Should this be the case all of my manufacturers are companies that I have used before and should be reliable for a quick turn around.
The only product I do not already have in stock is the wildcat pin. If the project is successfully funded I will be ordering these through a manufacturer I have used before so there shouldn't be any problems, though as enamel pins have a longer lead time they may delay orders that contain these.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)