It's been an amazing month and I can't believe the support I've received! It took just 3 hours to achieve my original target and the remaining time has seen this grow into an amazing project totalling over £20,000 in pledges.
I am really excited to see where everything goes now! I've got a lot to do, but I'm going to make sure you all get a book that I am proud of, along with lots of minis for you to play with.
If you want to find out more about the project and see how it developed then I thoroughly recommend having a look through all the Updates... there's even some nice pictures in there! But for now I just want to say a huge thanks to all of you for helping make this happen!
Twilight is a small scale skirmish game set in the unique fantasy world of Anyaral. I've been working on the world and the game for well over a decade and since 2009 I have written and published the first two books in the series, released a wide range of finely sculpted miniatures and built a community of enthusiastic gamers, world builders and painters.
The project has been going amazingly well so far, funding within 3 hours and the enthusiasm of our backers has opened up lots of options for me to be able to produce! There are now lots of new starter forces available (details below), some bonus critters and models. We've unlocked a special Compilation edition of the first three book, which is now going to come with a limited edition map of Anyaral. We are also going to be doing a deck of reference cards, which I thoroughly recommend! We've even got new playtest sets so you can help expand the game into the future.
Upcoming Stretch Goals:
None. That's it. We've just reached my 'super-stretch-that-will-never-happen' with less than an hour to spare and I've finally run out of ideas... Thank you!
What is Twilight?
- Unique alternate fantasy setting with a deep and evocative background
- A wide range of existing figures
- Fast, fun ruleset for skirmish wargames
- Three distinct cultures, each with a unique playstyle plus a larger number of different subcultures to give even more choice
I'm very excited to present this kickstarter! For the last year I've been working on the third Twilight book; Travels through Anyaral. It is now almost complete and this is your opportunity to help me get it into production (as well as getting some fun toys in the process)! If you have already tried World of Twilight then this is a great way to round off your collection with the new book, PLUS a limited resin edition model of Gil Masharl, Travelling Biologist, with his lizardy pet on his shoulder and an interesting hat.
Thanks to great support we managed to smash the funding target in less than three hours! That means its Stretch Goals from here on in... good thing I have lots that I would like to do!
If you're new to World of Twilight and like our stuff, but are a bit bemused and asking questions like, "Are there any vampires?" * then don't worry - I've included a couple of pledge levels to help you get started, either just getting hold of all the books and components to try the game or jumping straight in with a starter force for all three cultures.
You can also find out much more on our www.worldoftwilight.com, particularly on our forum.
* No, there are no vampires.
Over the last year I have been slaving away on Travels through Anyaral, the third book set in the World of Twilight. It has proved to be a larger task than originally planned as the range has grown substantially since 'Of Gods and Demons' was published three years ago and there was so much I wanted to squeeze in! This book has ended up with many more densely populated pages and rules for more figures than both the first two books put together.
I am now proud to present Travels through Anyaral, a 52 page full colour paperback A5 rulebook that tells the story of Danakan, a reluctant Fubarnii who has the dubious pleasure of travelling across the continent of Anyaral. The book follows his journey from the provincial coasts of his homelands, through the dangerous Argoran Wastes to the mighty city of Gar Loren. From there Danakan travels into the icy realms of the secretive Delgon before he braves the sea to sail home aboard an Enguan ship. The book uses the story of Danakan's travels to introduce exciting new rules for bringing themed forces from across these lands to your games of Twilight, as well as giving a view of the varied history of these lands. In addition to the new rules, there are several scenarios to add new twists and variety to your games.
I am now combining Book 3 and the first two books into a single Compilation edition, which I am very excited about! You can either add the compilation book to your pledge, or you get a free upgrade for all pledges of Sempa or above. We've also got lots of fancy new accessories that I am going to be able to get into production. Thank you!
I have spent many years developing the rules for Twilight and spent countless hours trying out different mechanics and rules systems until I arrived at a set of rules I was happy with. In 2009 I released the basic rules and I have thoroughly enjoyed hearing people playing the game since!
- The rules allow you to play skirmish scale games with a handful of models in less than an hour, but you can also scale up to larger battles if you've got an entire evening to spare.
- Turn order is controlled by drawing initiative counters from a bag, and it becomes important to have the right command structures in place to make the most of when you have a chance to activate your troops.
- Combat is determined using special combat stones. Both sides secretly select what balance of aggressive or defensive stones they wish to use, then cast simultaneously to see what happens. This leads to plenty of difficult decisions and tension as you try to guess your opponent's tactics!
If you are interested in seeing more details of the rules then you can download the first two rulebooks for free from http://www.worldoftwilight.com/Rules.html.
This is where you come in, with your help I can finally get Travels through Anyaral into print!
I have also sculpted a new Fubarnii exclusively for this Kickstarter Campaign. I will be getting him cast in high quality resin and this version of Gil will only be available for this campaign, although I might get a small number of extras cast for specials at shows.
There are various pledge levels available as rewards during this campaign, ranging from the Curious Hatchling, which will let you just get hold of Gil Masharl, right up to the Aggressive Kopa, which is an ideal entry point if you are completely new to the World of Twilight and want to try out the various forces, or just want to expand your collection with the new themed forces. All the pledges let you get add-ons as well, which for the moment will just let you choose to add one or more starter forces to your pledge.
The Egg is the entry level pledge if you just want to support the campaign and see the updates.
The Curious Hatchling is the easiest way to get hold of the exclusive kickstarter figure, cast in high quality resin.
The Academic Jenta pledge level is the perfect way to get hold of Travels through Anyaral and comes with the Kickstarter special model, Gil. I'm also going to expand the book slightly to include rules for Gil so you can use him in your games.
The Enthusiastic Sempa gives you an opportunity to pick up all three books and all the dice and stones needed for the game. It is also an great point for adding one or two Starter Forces.
The Aggressive Kopa pledge is an ideal starter point if you want to dive right in and try out all three of the Twilight cultures, or if you've been playing a while and would like to try out some new themed forces! I'm planning to create new moulds so I can release these three forces and this is an ideal opportunity for me to add variants of a few of the figures at the same time! You can expect to see a few minor changes to the figure line-up over the course of the campaign, starting with the ghostly figures in the above graphic.
- The Delgon force is part of the inventor-priest NurSen Plutom's personal bodyguard. As well as his two KalDreman Bodyguards, the force includes a mechanically legged KalMalog, a flamethrower wielding KalGush and a KalDru with an explosive derak. There is also a small unit of KalJoran Shocktroopers led by a NuraKira priest.
- The Devanu are represented by an outcast force of young jenta. These are led by an older Outcast, with three of his followers and three grishak hunting beasts.
- The Empire are a force of Orelan Knights, with a Captain and two knights accompanied by a unit of militia including a captain on hoof (Fubarnii have hooves rather than feet), four militia and three little graku.
The Mighty Emperor is the option for the collector who wants everything! At this level you get any 8 forces (you can swap Starter forces out for 2 Expansion Forces) as well as everything from the Sempa level plus a bonus copy of Gil and lots of stretch goal items.
There should also be special Initiative Stones suitable for an Emperor (if I can get an effect I'm happy with!). I've also reset the postage down to £10, giving an even better saving for international orders.
You can add the following Starter Forces, Expansion Forces and Accessories to any pledge of Curious Hatchling or higher.
I know how confusing it can be to plan your pledge, so here's a quick summary to try and make it easier!
Step 1: Choose your pledge level
- Hatchling (£10) – a single copy of Gil with a special stat card. You can add any add-ons you like for all pledges at this level or above. You also get three random critters and a postcard
- Jenta (£16) – A copy of Gil, stat card, three critters, a copy of Travels Through Anyaral (Twilight book 3), a postcard and an Abilities reference card
- Sempa (£30) – Compilation book (with map), Gil, stat card, three critters, an Abilities reference card, a postcard and a starter kit. The stones in all the starter kits have been upgraded to resin stones
- Kopa (£110) – Everything from Sempa, plus three fixed starter forces (Plutoms Mechanicals, Knights of Orelan and Jenta Outcasts)
- Mighty Emperor (£250) – Everything from Kopa, but the three fixed starter forces are replaced by any eight starter forces (each starter force can be swapped for two expansion forces)
Step 2: Choose any add-ons
These can be added to any pledges of Hatchling level or above. Simply increase your pledge amount to cover the cost plus postage and there will be a questionnaire at the end for you to fill in the details:
- Starter Forces (£30)
- Expansion Forces (£16 each or two for £30)
- Compilation Book (£15) – an additional copy of the rulebook which includes the map
- Travels Through Anyaral (£8) – an additional copy of the third book. Most of the contents will be in the Compilation, but something for the collector!
- Reference Cards (£10) – a deck of stat cards for every unit detailed in the Compilation Book (approx. 72 cards)
- Starter Kit (£10) – Everything you need to be able to play the game (Metal combat stones, Resin initiative stones, 2 dice and a bag to keep them in)
- Resin initiative counters (£3) – 6 coloured initiative counters. If you get multiple sets they will all be different colours so you can have big multiplayer games
- Resin Initiative Combat counters (£1) – 2 orange/red initiative counters for marking Combat Phases
- Accessories Set (£10) – 3 different themed sets of 12 resin combat stones plus a laser cut blast template
- Frenu Playtest Kit (£45) (counts as 1.5 Starter forces if used in the Emperor pledge) – this is a special add-on for people who want to help with the game development, or just want to get some new models really early in the process! Will probably be delivered later than the main pledges.
- Dehran Playtest Kit (£30) (counts as a Starter force) – Resin cast of the Enarii, Dehran. Comes with full playtest details and a playtest card for him. Will probably be delivered later than the main pledges.
- Individual figures - NuraKira Obal (£4), Danakan and Muri (£9)
- PreePree (£4) – you can buy a maximum of one additional PreePree for each £100 or part in your pledge (ie you can buy 1 for any pledge, 2 if you pledge between £100 and £200 etc)
Step 3: Add on Postage
If you aren’t based in the UK then there are additional postage charges for all the pledges, starter and expansion forces and some of the add-ons. These are capped at £10 for European orders and £20 for the Rest of the World. The pledge level p&p will add automatically, but you will have to add any additional charges manually.
Step 4: Confirm Details
At some point after the Campaign is over I will send out a pledge survey for everybody. It should be possible to top up your pledge with Paypal or similar if you missed anything or made any mistakes.
Hershaddow has kindly created a pledge calculator which you can find here:
There is bonus free stuff depending on the amount of money you have pledged, including any postage. These will automatically be added to your pledge:
- £50 or more - a small pile of scientific equipment for Gil (bottles, book, telescope and a big mushroom). (2 piles of equipment if you pledged at Emperor level)
- £100 or more - if the total reaches £20k then you will get a free Engineer Beru with your pledge
- £150 or more – a free copy of Danakan and Muri
- £200 or more – a free PreePree (doesn’t count towards the PreePree order limit)
Step 5: Wait for everything to arrive!
I will aim to get everything sent out before the end of July, except for the Frenu starter kit which may take longer. I will also keep you up to date on progress over the next few months!
Champions of Anyaral
During the campaign I announced that I would be rewarding certain people the title of 'Champion of Anyaral'. Anybody who has pledged £250 or more will automatically get the title. They will be mentioned in the book and will get a special very limited edition 'Baby Gil' miniature.
Here is a final summary of all the starter and expansion forces available. You can see pictures of nearly all the forces in the previous sections:
Empire Starter Forces:
- Knights of Orelan: Knight of Orelan Captain, 3 Knights of Orelan, Orelan Militia Captain, 4 Orelan Militia, 3 Graku
- Enguan Droba Hunters: 2 Engu Captains, 4 Engu Kopa (2 with harpoons), 3 Engu Sempa, 1 Tahela
- Nobles of Gar Loren: Noble, Standard Bearer, 2 Captains, 7 Noble Guard
- Defenders of the North: Captain Danomar, 2 Knights of Relan, Knight Captain, 3 Knights
- Trade Caravan: Mounted Trader, Trader, 2 Baruk, 2 Enuk, 2 Fubarnii Jenta, Casanii Hunter
Empire Expansion Forces:
- Grakukan Commander: Orelan Commander on Grakukan, 2 Graku
- Orelan Militia: Orelan Militia Captain, 4 Orelan Militia, Graku
- Hunter and Slingers: Hunter, Graku, Slinger Captain, 3 Slingers
- Light Cavalry: Slinger captain on enuk, 3 Light Cavalry with spears
- Central Empire Conversion Kit: Commander Brenar, Knight Captain, 2 Militia Captains plus 4 Central Empire shields, 4 Knight Spears, 8 Militia Spears
- Civilians: Elder and 4 Civilians
- Belan: Resin Belan
Devanu Starter Forces:
- Outcasts: Outcast Leader, Jenta Spear, Jenta Hunter, Jenta Beast, 3 Grishak, Kosok
- Wild Grishak: 2 Grishak Kopa, 4 Grishak, 5 Grishak Jenta Devanu
- Arak Katain: Arak Katain, Kosok
- Leader of the pack: Kopa, Sempa, Jenta Spear
- Kelahn: Kelahn, Jenta Handler
- Matriarch: Sempa Matriarch, 2 Devanu Eggsticks, 4 Hatchlings
Delgon Starter Forces:
- Plutom’s Mechanicals: Plutom, 2 KalDromar bodyguards, KalMalog Strider, KalGush, 2 KalDru, NuraKira, 4 KalJoran
- Dhogu Raiders: Warlord on Yirnak, Dhogu Captain, 3 Dhogu spears, 2 Dhogu bows, Dhogu Trapper, 4 Skerrats
- Dehran Playtest Kit: Resin cast of Dehran
Delgon Expansion Forces:
- Roban the Hunter: Roban
- NuraSen Gohral and Obal: NuraSen Gohral, Nura Obal, 4 KalDreman bodyguards
- KalJoran Shocktroopers: NuraKira, 5 KalJoran
- KalGarkii Soldiers: NuraSen, 5 KalGarkii
- KalMalog Striders: KalMalog Captain, 2 KalMalog
- Dhogu Infantry: Dhogu Captain, 3 Dhogu spears, 2 Dhogu bows
- Dhogu Cavalry: 2 Yirnak riders
Risks and challenges
I have taken every effort to reduce the risks on this project. This is my first venture into running a kickstarter, so I want to make sure I deliver everything I promise in a timely fashion!
I've kept the scope of the project quite limited, so I can ensure that everything goes smoothly.
I've released two similar (albeit smaller) books previously and have an extensive range of miniatures already in production so I have a good level of experience when it comes to miniature production. The third book is largely complete and most of the miniatures have already been sculpted.
The largest risks relate to scheduling, making sure I deliver everything I've promised on time. I have allowed a large margin on the predicted delivery dates.
Support this project
- (29 days)