The Story of Make Flappy Box
This is Flappy Bird In A Box, a physical playable version of the immensely popular app. The prototype was met with overwhelming support:
"I saw the video few days ago and I love it." - Dong Nguyen, Creator of "Flappy Bird" app
The Youtube community also loved the project with over 2 MILLION views. Many wanted game boxes for themselves!
So, why not help everyone make their own game box through a DIY kit? The original box was prototyped with an Arduino, but the cost and complexity of the electronics create a barrier to make and play. (The motors and Arduino board alone would cost $70! This is not including other electronics and construction materials; source: Sparkfun)
Thus, we created a Make Flappy Box Kit with plug and play PCB board and electronics, polished construction materials and a clear step-by-step guide book. This way, everyone can make their own game box!
What's in a COMPLETE Make Flappy Box Kit? (For age 14+)*
A Make Flappy Box Kit contains everything you need to make your own Flappy Box and other creative projects.
1. Guide Book
2. Plug and Play PCB (Printed Circuit Board)
3. Plug and Play Electronics Pack
- 3 Servo motors
- 1 Button
- 1 Battery Holder
- 1 Magnetic sensor
- Pack of magnets *(Magnets are a safety hazard for children, CPSC requires magnets be kept out of reach of children 14 and under)
- 1 Speaker
- 1 LED
4. Construction Pack
- Flappy Box (all of our templates will fit this dimension)
- Game frame
- Character / magnetic sensor holder
- Box opener
- Background roller
- Electronics holders
- 1 Background Template (Flappy Bird Version)
Flapping with a Mission
Flappy Box was created under the goal of making technology accessible, educational, and relevant for people of all backgrounds. With that in mind, we also want to help remove financial barriers for those that most lack exposure to technology. Thus, for every $5,000 raised, we will hold a FREE engineering and programming workshop for underserved high-school female students in NYC using tools such as the Make Flappy Box Kit. We have taught hundreds of students in the past in STEM subjects, and we have a team of incredible teachers and mentors who will support the workshop.
What's Unique about Flappy Box?
- Interchangeable Template - You can personalize your Flappy Box inside and out! The rolling background and back panel are interchangeable so you can always create a new game environment by just switching the game template. We will have free templates available at [link removed by Kickstarter] after we reach our funding goal. We hope to make this an open platform so everyone can design, share, and download game templates.
- Plug and Play - No engineering background? No problem! The Flappy Box kit is much easier to make than to play! Each electronic plug-in is clearly labeled and color-coded
- Think Outside of the Box - Design your own creative art project or game using the PCB board and electronics pack
- Open Source - Flappy Box was inspired from many projects that have gone before it, including Arduino and Mario-in-a-box. We will make the PCB board design open source on Github so anyone can download and make their own board.
- Make and Give - You'll be glad to know that for every Make Flappy Box kit that you support, a portion of it will go towards our outreach effort to hold FREE engineering workshops for underserved high school female students in NYC. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to sign up your school or students.
Why Are We Doing a Kickstarter?
The original prototype was not affordable - the motors and Arduino board alone would cost cost $70! (source: Sparkfun) This is not including other electronic components and construction materials. We worked very hard to source the raw materials, streamline the design, and illustrate clear instructions so that everyone can make their own game box. We want to raise money in order to put in a large order and to make the Flappy Box Kit more affordable. Raising funds would also allow us to host a free workshop for underserved high school female students in NYC, making our projects more accessible despite the high cost of these tools.
How Are We Manufacturing the Kits for the Orders Placed on Kickstarter?
We are sourcing all the materials from in bulk from factories that are RoHS compliant. We will assemble everything ourselves in NY. We have a great team set up for both the hardware and construction materials, and we are confident we can fulfill the orders within the timeline.
The Pledge Rewards
- Original Character GIFs sent via email
- Flappy Bird T-Shirt and Stickers
- Complete Kit (PCB + Electronics Pack + Construction Pack + Guide Book + Stickers)
Fawn Qiu- Fawn currently works in digital media product development where she has worked on educational STEM games such as Solve it with Elmo, Abby, and Super Grover. In the past, Fawn has worked at the MIT Media Lab, through which she co-developed the Scratch curriculum for teachers. She is the founder of Make Anything, an organization that teaches creative engineering workshops. and the organizer of NYC High Low Tech Meetup She has taught technology workshops at many formal and informal education institutions such as Stanford University, Brooklyn Brainery, Hack Manhattan, etc. Fawn has a masters degree in Technology, Innovation and Education from Harvard.
Jin Chung - Jin currently works as a software engineer, where she builds out backend functionality for merchandising and recommendations. Jin loves to code. She has previously participated in Hacker School, a three-month writers' retreat for programmers, and has also worked as a software engineer building trading tools for the financial services industry. Jin serves as a mentor for NYC-area high-school students interested in software engineering. Jin met Fawn while studying at the University of Pennsylvania, and holds a BSE in Computer Science and Engineering.
Rayovac will be providing the batteries for our free engineering workshops and all of our kit backers! Thank you!
Embedded Adventures is a Brooklyn-based electronics store that will help us source some of our electronics.
Special Thanks to:
Tribeca Hacks for putting together a great hardware hackathon where I made the Flappy Box prototype; Hack Manhattan for providing the space and materials to bring the prototype to life; to Dong, Vanessa, and Anna for their game and game templates; Kevin for the amazing Kickstarter video; Lin for illustrating the beautiful kit components.
Risks and challenges
Our team is dedicated to making this project our priority until all rewards are delivered. We have expert advisors onboard who have ample experience in electronics, manufacturing, and production. We are keenly aware of difficulties that may arise in production, but we are confident that we can deliver on time. We and our partners will handle the quality assurance of all products before shipping.
Our team will also personally respond in a timely manner to any questions and concerns you might have.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)