"The very fabric of the world bent and broke, as portals from stars beyond the stars started to open at random in an event known as “The Drop”. Cruel psionic tentacled giants, and a menagerie of entities both cthonic and cosmic erupted forth. Mankind was doomed as they knew it, until humans began pouring out of the portals. Humans that spoke the same language, and breathed the same air, but were from distant stars beyond the stars.
Something was different though, both Stratosfiend and Humans from both sides began to defect. The Half-Stratosfiend were born (honestly, don’t ask) and offered their services to the highest bidder. It was no longer Chaos vs Law." -- Verse 37 of the Sacred Drop
What is Terror of the Stratosfiend?
Portals and warp gates have been opening all over the earth and giant aliens have been pouring out. Players will quickly find out that some of their own have been aliens the whole time, and that humans from distant stars have also shown up to help quell the madness. The setting is meant to be both an add-on to any DCC (Dungeon Crawl Classics) session the Judge and players would be running; adding a splash of tentacles. It's also being built to be a standalone setting where tentacles and sorcery would be the focus.
As a player you'll be wielding future weaponry like laser chainsaws, and living breathing shotguns that incubate sleeping horrors. You would also find out what it's like to be 20 foot tall living battering ram... (scroll up to be reminded of what that means)
As a Judge you'll be introducing players to maniacal Orbital Intelligences that seek to guide, destroy, and illuminate the lives of their charges. You will be throwing strange alien beasts at them, and guiding through portals leading to the stars beyond our stars.
What path will you take? Will you abandon your fellow humans and take to the stars? Or will you embrace the chaos and obliterate all that stand in your path with your tentacled fury?
What is Dungeon Crawl Classics?
Dungeon Crawl Classics is a roleplaying game designed and published by Goodman games. It's a combination of classic Appendix N (Conan, Solomon Kane, Lovecraft) goodness, alongside all the things you'd expect in other classic roleplaying games. It has a heavy emphasis on Sword and Sorcery, and you're just as likely to be casting spells and watching your body mutate, as you are to knock a cyclops off a cliff to dam a river.
And even if you don’t play (or own) DCC, it still has HD, and AC and stuff you’d find in other OSR, and D20 systems!
What is in Issue #1?
- Human Sat-Caster : A spellcaster that draws power from weapons satellite gods and calls down their fury.
- Half-Stratosfiend Street Whisperer : A hybrid that can blend in amongst human and stratosfiend society alike. Oh and it mutates constantly.
- Stratosfiend Delver : A psionic tentacled giant that draws followers wherever it travels.
- Stratosfiend Magistrate Gladiatrix : An engine of tentacles and blades that specializes in making a bloody mess. Oh and it can charm people. Not creepy at all. (scroll up)
- New Weapons : future science weapons, and an upgrade system
- New Armor : ranging from siege enhancements, to a suit for a day at the beach!
- New Equipment : ranging from parasites that make you stealthy, to a micro-evolution injection
Introducing new Orbital Intelligence Patrons (complete with invoke patron results, spellburn, patron taint, and their spells) :
- Sky-Lasher the Everlasting, Trident of the Sun : Imagine if a weapons satellite got possessed by a bat-winged demon...
- Terror-Eater, The Earth-Mother : A tentacled monstrosity that wears the earth like the hermit crab shell that it is.
Introducing some new bestiary entries that go bump in the night:
- Children of Earth : Ever seen what happens when you breed an orangutan with a horned toad? We neither. (hint : it's inside)
- Children of Space : Spoilers! Some of them spawn new enemies just by bleeding. Oh and one of them is a living breathing battle tank.
We're releasing a 60 page (pending Layout, it could be shorter or longer), black and white, 5.5 x 8.5 staple-bound Zine for the DCC RPG (the first in a series). Since we were already in full production, ZineQuest seemed like a perfect time to do this!
- Text has been approved by Goodman Games
- Art is fully complete.
- Book has gone through layout
- Cold Cube Press is awaiting the completion of the Kickstarter Campaign to start printing.
Each character class has its own beautiful image to help sell it as a playable class. The bestiary is also illustrated, as are the fantastic Patrons. The cover art is also complete!
Who are we?
Orbital Intelligence is designer, producer, and publisher of tabletop game content, based out of Seattle, WA. Our focus is Zine based releases for the DCC RPG. We have a love for the DIY aspect of Zines, and are looking forward to becoming part of the publisher community for DCC. (We plan to release zines paired with music albums in the near future)
Sean Richer is the founder of Orbital Intelligence and the writer for Terror of the Stratosfiend. He grew up playing the Palladium Robotech RPG, and read every Rifts book that he could get his hands on. Sean's been making video games, with a focus on Adventure games, for the last 15 years. Most recently he wrote and released the South American Cyberpunk world of "Xorte" for the Weave RPG (think alien rainbow gods, and living mountains.. sense a trend yet?). He enjoys building the lore of these worlds, and is looking forward to sharing "Terror of the Stratosfiend" with all of you.
- Writing : Sean Richer
- Art : 2-headedgiant (character classes), Skullthug (patrons), James Everett Jackson (bestiary)
- Layout : Glynn Seal, of Monkeyblood Design & Publishing (ENnie award winning cartographer for The Midderlands)
Printing & Release
PDF : PDFs will be fulfilled via DriveThruRPG.
Zine Production & Release : We will be using Cold Cube Press for Risograph printing! The books will be 60 pages, 5.5 x 8.5, black and white (monochromatic). Risographs are considered to be eco-friendly, and overall have a look and feel that we prefer! Of course the Risographs would still be staple-bound.
Shipping: We will be mailing these out ourselves. Currently supporting the US, Canada, Mexico, The EU, Australia, and Japan
- UNLOCKED - $500 - The printing of the first 100 copies of the Zine are funded (as well as kickstarter fees, payment processing fees, income taxes)
- UNLOCKED - $1000 - Switching to Cold Cube Press for the aforementioned Risograph printing instead. (was Mixam prior)
With the rapid goals being met, we’ve unlocked the new set of stretch goals! The following will be released as extra PDFs, and will be included with all pledges.
- UNLOCKED - $1500 - New Orbital Intelligence Patron : Razor-Worn, Henceforth the Shaft. The self-proclaimed god of all elevators. All locomotion is under her watch, and altitude is godliness. (art by James Everett Jackson)
- UNLOCKED - $2000 - New Class : Human Comm-Artist. A Combat Engineer / Rogue hybrid class. They specialize in finding, and laying, traps. Rumour has it that they can animate their traps into pets. (art by Krzysztof Bieniawski/RabidBlackDog)
- UNLOCKED - $2500 - New Demon : Acceptance (type v demon patron, Razor-Worn, Henceforth the Shaft). The Elevator god has "elevated" one of her minions to the top. It's now a 30 foot demon, with each limb being made of another minion made of limbs and minions... (art by Vertechs_)
- UNLOCKED - $3000 - Issue #2 (when ready) in digital PDF form sent to all backers! We're aiming for December, post digital layout. We're assembling the team! (updates will follow)
Risks and challenges
The text is already complete, and has final approval from DCC / Goodman Games.
The cover art is all ready to go, as is all internal art.
We're ready to print.
If there are any problems with the printing process, we will seek out additional printing resources.
We plan to handle all the shipping ourselves, so it may take a couple days to get everything shipped out.
- (30 days)