As seen on...
Come join us...
The SuperGreen Hemp Yoga Mat is...
1. Designed and Made in CANADA. To shorten the supply chain and have better quality control.
2. A Game Changer. We are not trying to compete with rubber mats. Comparitively, the SuperGreen Hemp Yoga Mat is non-toxic, hypo-allergenic, healthier, longer lasting, completely natural and a sustainable alternative. It replaces both rubber mats and towels on mats.
3. A better product to use. Why use a rubber PVC mat full of toxic substances which never biodegrade, stack up in landfills and leach into your groundwater, not to mention your clothes and skin?! Just because that is what the "norm" is? Or that is what your neighbour bought? Or that is what you were told a yoga mat should be? Let's use what the real yogi's did, a hemp yoga mat with natural traction.
4. An incredible value. We buy what we consider "good" rubber mats for close to or over $100 which are mass factory produced overseas. The SuperGreen Hemp Yoga mat with it's amazing qualities is a much better value, complete with integrated rolling straps and a shoulder sling, made right here in North America.
We bought and discarded high quality rubber mats, at least one (1) each year. With no real recycling in place for the PVC mats widely used in the yoga culture in North America, landfills are fast becoming a home to expired mats. PVC is a toxic substance found in plastic. This is what makes the mats "sticky". Think your yoga workouts are great while you use these PVC rubber mats? Think again. People are slowly starting to realize how PVC & ADA rubs off on our skin, clothes and eventually our food.
Anywhere we looked, we could not find a standalone natural fabric yoga mat. Whatever was available could only be used in conjunction with a rubber mat. Everything else was all rubber / PVC! We decided it was time to stop surrounding ourselves with these toxic substances that occur in Rubber mats, and make our own design.
This first (and final) prototype can be seen in the videos and pictures throughout this project.
We have personally tested and have had yoga teachers test this mat in North American yoga studios and we are very happy with the result. We want to produce this mat in Canada, and this is why we need your help!
1. Anti-slip stitching. Hands on mat or mat on floor - its not going anywhere. The more you sweat, the more you stick!
2. Usage in ANY Yoga environment. Be it hot yoga, or yoga on the beach. We have tested it everywhere and the SuperGreen Hemp Yoga mat is versatile and good to go!
3. Rolling straps. Thats right, every Yogi's prayers answered - this mat comes with integrated rolling straps for easy handling and storage. These straps can even be used to hang up the mat to dry after washing. For example: from your shower curtain rod.
4. No need for towels on the mat. This mat combines the usage of a Yoga towel and a padded non-slip surface.
5. Machine washing. Sweaty workout? Throw it in the wash at the end of the week and voila. We recommend washing once every 4 to 6 uses. No more wiping down with chemicals just to get the stink out! Use the rolling straps to hang dry.
6. Yoga strap / Shoulder sling included.Our SuperStrong 100% Hemp strap is included in the pledge of the mat. Use to carry the mat and to enhance your yoga practice.
7. Heavy duty construction. These SuperGreen Hemp Yoga mats have been engineered to withstand years of heavy usage. And to prove our point, we are giving lifetime warranty!
8. 100% natural. All the components have been carefully selected and sourced to make it a compostable or biodegradable product. This all natural mat will provide your body with a safe and sustainable product. Specially recommended for pregnant women practicing pre-natal yoga.
9. Kickstarter bonus. Lifetime Warranty! No need to throw it away like the rubber mats where repairing is unlikely when damaged or tattered. For this Kickstarter campaign only, send in your mat to us and we will mend it for you FOR FREE!!
10. Outdoors. Use the mat for picnics, hiking, or just at the beach on a nice warm day outdoors. It wont heat up like a rubber mat. Specially recommended for Burning Man.
Yoga teacher Janina:
Yoga teacher Janina practicing on the SuperGreen Hemp Yoga Mat:
Some amazing properties of Hemp...
- The hemp plant creates one of the strongest natural fibres in the world
- hemp fabric grows softer with usage
- hemp is hypo-allergenic
- hemp plant does not need pesticide to grow
- hemp plant is naturally fungus and odour free
The final product...
- Will include shoulder strap / yoga sling for easy carrying
- Will include integrated rolling straps for easy handling
- Mat dimensions: 6.1 ft Long x 2.4 ft Wide (186 cm x 72 cm)
- Mat weight: Just below 4 lbs (1.8 kg)
- Custom mat dimensions: on request
- Retail value of the mat after this project: $94 - $99 plus applicable taxes and shipping. Pledging to receive the mat on Kickstarter is a great savings!
- For multiple or retail quantities, please message us
Production and fulfillment plan...
- Campaign ends successfully in June 2014
- Place order for material on receiving funds 2 weeks after end date in June 2014
- Material takes about 4 to 6 weeks to reach Calgary, AB in July 2014
- Production begins in-house using locally hired staff in July 2014
- Fulfillment begins for *Early Bird* pledges in July 2014
- Fulfillment begins for all other pledges in early August 2014
All $1 or $5 pledgers will have the chance to win a free mat and sling!
Thank you and we hope you like our project!
Enjoy this small bonus section:
A Brief History...
Thousands of years ago, perched up deep in the Himalayas, the holy sages would go into deep states of meditation for days, months, and even years at a time. Their bodies would automatically adjust themselves into different yoga positions. Their multipurpose rugs which were used for their yoga practice were made from Hemp fibre.
These holy sages or Sadhu's, discovered very early on the uses for the Hemp plant. It's nutritional value, medicinal properties, essential oils, commercial uses such as paper making, clothes, rugs, etc..
Risks and challenges
We have automated the technique for this Yoga mat design to be manufactured piece by piece as quickly as possible.
With transportation and shipping of the raw material from overseas, there are always unpredictable variables that can arise due to shipping delays or customs inspections. We are confident that we can handle the effort to manufacture these mats with ease, and we are prepared to hire extra staff if the situation arises. We have a contingency in our timeline presented, and it could even be possible that we may run ahead of schedule. Full steam ahead for our amazing backers!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)