Thank you for visiting our project, Simon Says: Nazi Hunter #1. The comic is inspired by the true story of the famed Nazi Hunter, Simon Wiesenthal. Written by Andre Frattino and Illustrated by Jesse Lee, this comic is intended to be the prototype first issue for a potential graphic novel.
Wiesenthal was an Austrian architect who survived the Holocaust thanks partly to his artistic skills (he was spared from execution when he was employed to paint swastikas on train cars). After the war, he discovered that he and his wife lost over 80 members of their family. Wiesenthal dedicated the rest of his life to hunting down notorious war criminals including Adolf Eichmann (a chief orchestrator of Hitler's "Final Solution to the Jewish Question") and Joseph Mengele (a.k.a. "The Angel of Death" who conducted horrifying experiments on his subjects).
While Simon Says: Nazi Hunter #1 is inspired by Simon Wiesenthal, it is not merely a dramatization of his experiences alone. The story takes from many aspects of various Nazi Hunter stories following the war. The tone of the comic is a mixture of noir and pulp fiction which was prevalent in the 1950s and 60s. Other influences include Ian Fleming's James Bond Series as well as such films as Schindler's List, Inglorious Bastards and TV series like Sherlock and Man in the High Castle.
(continue reading following the sample pages)
The comic will be 32 pages long, serving as the first issue of Simon's life as a Nazi Hunter. It will be done entirely in the art stylings of Jesse Lee. If the comic is successful, we'll aim to move onto Issue #2, and so on from there. The ultimate goal is to produce a full-fledged graphic novel.
Simon- Simon is the hero of the story. Initially working with the U.S. Army to track down Nazis in West Germany immediately following the war, Simon eventually strikes out on his own to continue the cause.
Bruno- Simon's reluctant partner, Bruno was a German Officer stationed at the Death Camp that held Simon and his wife during the Holocaust. He was sympathetic to Simon, even saving his life once. Bruno agrees to help Simon track down his former colleagues in return for amnesty.
Issner- The mysterious director of a secretive Jewish Intelligence Agency (precursor to Mossad). Issner seeks to employ Simon and his talents in detection, however, Simon does not agree with Issner's extreme methods.
Vaughner- The former commandant of Simon's Death Camp and Bruno's commanding officer. Vaughner is a vicious and cruel man who delights in tormenting his captives. He's also Simon's main target.
Syla- Simon's wife. She supported his artistic pursuits before the war, and kept him sane and grounded throughout the Holocaust. She now acts as his driving force, pushing him forward to continue his hunt for evil. Sadly, it's in spirit only, as Syla did not survive.
The End Game
What we're looking for is your support. In order to fund this project, we're aiming to raise $5,000, which will pay for expenses and production costs. 75% of the funds will go into production while the remaining 25% goes into print and distribution. This is a passion project, so we're sinking what you donate into it to provide the best possible product we can. With luck, we'll aim to produce and print the first issue before the end of the year, the latest deadline being January 2018.
Simon Says: Nazi Hunter #1 comes at a tumultuous time in the world, where people are divided on all manners of subjects. While it's first purpose is to entertain, it's also meant to educate. It shows what a few people did following a time where most turned their heads or looked the other way.
We leave you with this quote:
"For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing."
- Simon Wiesenthal
Risks and challenges
We have sat down and addressed any concerns that may come from moving forward with this project. Obviously, the subject matter is emotional and personal to a lot of people out there. Our hope is that it's a book that is well received by all, as it deals with a historical event that effected the world.
Of the more immediate concerns, we are most concerned with time. Our goal is to produce the comic as swiftly and professionally as possible to provide our backers with their rewards. The current date we've set is January 2018, but that is only as the ABSOLUTELY LATEST deadline we want to get the book in the hands of our supporters. We'd like to aim for something far earlier, potentially as soon as August or September of 2017, but just incase, we want to make sure we have some wiggle room.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)