Hey, you dog-lover! We’re Arien and Bael, two artists with dissociative identity disorder and a passion for colorful illustration.
The Major Barkana is the most fun art project we've ever worked on. It’s a watercolor tarot deck featuring the Major Arcana (22 cards)—with each illustration hand designed by us. The full 78-card deck will arrive in 2020.
Every single card features a real dog, and the project is working to educate the public about service dogs too!
We are releasing the Majors as “Part One”—so we don’t keep all of you waiting too long before you can have these pups in your hands! Funding this stage will also help us efficiently finish the deck.
So—if you’ve been waiting for a beautiful, high quality dog-themed tarot, go ahead and get yourself a deck! Just place your pledge and we’ll have it shipped to you by January 2019 (or December 2018 if you get an early bird reward).
We’re so excited to start printing this deck, especially after the amazing feedback we’ve received!!
The Major Barkana isn’t just a tarot deck. It’s a project that raises awareness about service dogs. Every deck shipped in the US contains 2 “service dog fact cards” and, on decks sold after the Kickstarter, at least 15% of profits will be donated towards service dog teams and organizations.
Every single card features a real dog (or two, like in the Lovers)—immortalizing dogs that have crossed over and showing off newly adopted pups. Every single dog is placed on a card that their human selects—ensuring that the dog's true personality shines in their card. We know you’ll feel this when you hold them in your hand!
Specs: 22 2.75”x4.75” high quality cards (16pt), a fully illustrated tuck box, 2 service dog fact cards (for US decks), and an "about the project" card
Deck quality: We have tested cards through some rigorous bending, hitting against tables, and a few other wild things—and only minimal damage has been sustained. So, save for your dog eating them or you getting as wild as we did, these should last a lifetime!
Here’s the current stage of completion on the Majors cards! All the artwork should be completed by mid-November. Currently, some art is fully rendered, some are in the earlier painting stages, and some are waiting to be painted.
We have three Early Bird options—where you save over 10%, plus get the deck a month before everyone else. These have limited spots and are only available for the first 48 hours of the campaign!
Want an additional deck or print? Add +20 USD to your pledge for each additional deck. Add +10 USD for each additional print you’d like.
More about Get Your Dog in the Deck!
Your pup can be in the full deck—immortalized in a light-hearted watercolor painting forever. With the “Get Your Dog in the Deck!” pledge, we’ll paint your dog (or a friend’s dog) on the Minor’s card of your choice!
There are two options with this. For $250 you can receive this spot in the deck, a high quality print of your card, the full 78-card deck, 1 art print, and three PDF files. For $400 you’ll receive all that, but instead of a print you’ll get the original painting of the card! (To get the painting, pledge $400 instead of $250.)
The total value of this pledge is $282, but we've chosen to absorb the $32 as a treat for you! This means you get the PDF files, US shipping, and a Majors print entirely for free.
Some cards have room for two dogs, for the price of one. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about this!
Available cards and more info here. Please have three favorite cards in mind for our survey or contact us with the card you want to reserve after pledging.
More about original art:
We’re offering some exclusive art of the Majors cards—the original sketches and paintings! Any pledge for “Original Barkana Sketch” will receive one sketch, and any pledge for “Original Barkana Painting” will receive one watercolor.
Please note these are of limited quantity and first come, first serve. We'd encourage you to reach out to us to reserve your sketch or painting first, so we can check if it is still available. Contact us at email@example.com
You can also get original art of your own dog by pledging in $400 in the "Get Your Dog in the Deck." This art will be delivered after the creation of the Minor's deck.
All rights for the art remain with The Major Barkana.
Why buy now (rather than waiting for the full deck)?
- If you buy the Majors deck now, you’ll receive a coupon code for the Minor’s deck—where you can get free shipping and save 5-15%! Essentially, we’ll promise it will cost you less to order it in two parts, rather than waiting. If you notice a cost difference when we ship you part two, contact us and we’ll even it out!
- You’ll help us produce the rest of the deck faster. The more we make on the Majors deck, the more hours every day we can work to focus on this. Our current estimated completion date is between July-September 2020, but you could help us bump it up to as early as February 2020 by supporting this!
- There will be an option to purchase the Minor’s only deck, so you won’t end up with duplicates. You’ll also receive the full box with that (the one that will fit all 78 cards)
Still want to wait? Consider pledging 15USD and get a print of your favorite pup!
Production: Printing the cards, boxes, labels, business/fact cards, and prototypes. $4,500
Shipping: You’re saving a lot, because we’re absorbing the shipping prices. This portion of our chart shows how much goes to shipping the decks to you all! $1,300
Labor: Kickstarter campaigns are a full time job, and us artists need to be able to support ourselves. We’ve allotted our minimum cost of living for 2 months for this—to ensure we can make ends meet while delivering this deck to you. $2,500
Fees: Includes the fees Kickstarter and Stripe take in the campaign payment transfers, and also includes a buffer of 5%—since that is the estimated amount of unfulfilled or bounced payments at the end of any campaign. $1,200
The Major Barkana is almost complete, but we still have a bit more work to do! See our estimated timeline below:
- Kickstarter Ends: October 16th
- Funds Distributed: by November 6th
- Art Completion: Nov 23rd
- Prototypes and printing: Nov. 28th-Dec 9th
- First decks shipped out: Around Dec. 20-30th
- Non-early bird shipping: January 20-30th
The Minors deck is estimated to be completed in 2020—but the more funds we raise during this campaign, the sooner we can finish the whole deck! Help us speed up this process by pledging. <3
- Additional deck: $20 each
- Additional art prints: $13 each
- Original sketch: $70 each*
- Original painting: $150 each*
- All 22 prints: $150
(*Contact us to ensure the one you want is available)
How to add items to your existing pledge amount:
1. Click on “Manage Your Pledge” at the top right of the page.
2. You’ll be asked if you’d like to change your pledge amount. Add the updated items to your pledge, then enter the new amount in the pledge field.
3. You then be asked to confirm the new amount. Click confirm! :)
4. You will be asked to confirm once again at the Kickstarter payment gateway. Do this, and then you’ll be redirected to Kickstarter.
5. At the end of the campaign, you’ll receive a survey where you can let us know what those extra funds were for (i.e. an extra deck or print)!
- All US shipping is included and international postage is around a +10USD cost (which is normal international, minus the US amount—so you’re still saving about a quarter of the cost!). Canada is +6 USD for most pledges. Shipping costs will be requested by Kickstarter when you pledge.
- International backers: please note that you may be charged tariff and duties fees when collecting your package. These are just your country’s laws, nothing to do with our campaign!
- Please ensure your email address is up to date and frequently checked. Kickstarter will send out a survey to ask for final information—essential for getting your rewards to you.
- Be sure your address is spelled correctly and in the proper format. If your package is returned (due to you typing your shipping address wrong), you will be recharged for shipping (3US/6 CAN/13 International)
- Have your credit card info up to date, or your card will not be charged at the end of this campaign and your rewards cannot be delivered to you.
- If our Kickstarter is not fully funded, you will not be charged for your pledge. We will reach out personally and share our shop link with you, though, so you could still order the deck from there. (Some quality features may change, so please help back this Kickstarter to get the best quality deck in your hands!)
Risks and challenges
We have done and will continue to do everything in our part to make this project a success, including consulting many resources on successful crowdfunding and spending weeks calculating prices and time.
We will attempt to adhere to our timeline as accurately as possible, but we acknowledge that sometimes things happen (printing errors, illness, or other setbacks). But, no matter what, we will always let you know if something delays the production timeline.
If your rewards have been damaged during shipping or your deck is misprinted (highly unlikely with our quality inspections, but it can happen!) please contact us ASAP and we’ll send you another, free of charge.
If you have any questions or feedback, please don’t hesitate to contact Arien or Bael at firstname.lastname@example.org!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)