The BOOY Lounge magnetically attaches to a leather plate that adheres to the back of the tablet with reusable adhesive that leaves no residue. Just pull the edge and the lounge pops off with ease. It reattaches virtually by itself.
Ever since the tablet's first release it was clear that it would need ergonomic help to adapt to the world around it. Tablet use currently involves propping, flaps, and kickstands. It causes strain on the wrist, finger, and forearm.
There are hundreds of cases and holders out there and none of them are designed for the place you use it the most: your lap. So we set out to develop a case that would be effortless and comfortable on every surface without having to fumble with flaps or stands. We literally (and figuratively) wanted to “buoy” the tablet experience. With that in mind, we decided to call it: BOOY (booē), a new line of patented tablet accessories that balance and support your device on any surface—most importantly your lap.
With its patented conformable backing and unique shape, the BOOY Lounge balances, stabilizes, and protects a variety of tablets at unlimited viewing angles. No tipping. No slipping. No strain.
Research shows that people use their tablets the most at 9 p.m. And where are people at 9 p.m.? On the couch, leaning back. Getting cozy. BOOY takes the tablet experience to a new level of comfort.
Recent studies like the one from the Harvard School of Public Health are showing new conditions like, "iPad shoulder"(1), "iPad Hand"(2), and "iPad neck."(3)
- "Compared to typical desktop computing scenarios, the use of media tablet computers is associated with high head and neck flexion postures, and there may be more of a concern for the development of neck and shoulder discomfort." (1)
- “You can get severe headaches from tension in the back of the neck; an aching from the tip of your shoulder down the upper, outer part of the arm; pain at the back of the wrist and fingers from continuously using them; or a pinched nerve,” says Dr Tony Kochhar (London RSI Clinic). He is seeing six to ten new patients a week with these types of injuries in a demographic that he is “getting younger and younger because of the iPad and working while traveling.”(2)
- "Many people are completely unaware that staying in the same position can cause unnecessary strain on the back."(3)
Works with smart covers.
Works on most protective cases.
Users have been asking were they could get the latest version of the BOOY Lounge and now we have an answer: Kickstarter. We currently hold a utility patent (NO. 8,757,374) with a pending continuation application that further elaborates on the technology. That's right, more innovations on the way! (Please note that any other similar products you may have seen on the market have likely been licensed by us or are grey market.) We need your help crafting Booy products with the high-end quality tablet users deserve. Made from premium-grade stretch leather and a loose filling of all-natural hypoallergenic millet hulls, your Booy may even outlast your tablet computer.
The Booy Lounge began as a design specific to the iPad, and more recently the iPad Air and Air 2. But we soon realized that if we made some minor modifications, it would work on a variety of larger size tablets. So we did. The Booy is ideal for the iPad 1-3, the iPad Air and Air 2, and also works with the 10" Samsung Galaxy Tabs, and more.
You are looking at a prototype.
Your backing will also help us:
- Manufacture a limited-run of Booy products for pre-order.
- Send product samples to retailers and secure purchase orders.
- Launch a small marketing effort to build brand awareness.
- Invest in tooling for higher-volume production.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: Get feedback from you. We want your thoughts on how to perfect this product.
Special Edition: Linen Covered Book Box for Tablet/Booy Storage
So don't wait to pre-order with your Kickstarter pledge.
1."iPAD HAND: THE NEW RSIs" -Evening Standard 3/7/12
2."iPAD SHOULDER BECOMES THE LATEST MODERN LIFE AFFLICTION " -The Telegraph
"TOUCH-SCREEN TABLET UNSER CONFIGURATION AND CASE-SUPPORTED TILT HEAD AND NECK FLEXION ANGLES" -Harvard School of Public Health 11-29-11
3. "iPad GENERATION SEES HUGE RISE IN BACK AND NECK PAIN" -The Telegraph 4/3/15
Special thank you to the Kickstarter community for all your support!
Couldn't have done it without you.
Risks and challenges
Booy will be constructed of natural premium leather for a genuine, long lasting rich feel. Though It may end up that we add a firm rubber frame on the interior to sew the leather onto. But the all-leather version is our first priority.
The attachment plate itself has a few material options. We want leather but it may work better to be constructed out of silicone. The final plate will be much thinner that the prototype piece here.
We have a few adhesives to choose from (including micro suction tape.) They all work great but we'll but we need to do a bit more testing to determine the final adhesive.
This is our first run at a high-end leather product and we will not release anything to our customers that is not of the highest quality construction and design. We are ready with a manufacturer we are very excited about that has produced hand bags for many of the worlds top fashion brands.
All that said, we've done our best to set a realistic delivery date.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (38 days)